Eyes Turned Skywards

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn............................

That was not something I expected. And it has all the vibes of being the 9/11 equivalent for TTL.

And being in 1994 as opposed to 2001, why do I get the feeling that there was enough left of the 1980's intelligence build-ups left behind to quickly bring up to scratch?

Goes without saying that this is going to leave a mark.

Grim business indeed.
From the space programme perspective, I can see an interest in developing a constellation for global radar coverage (or less power-hungry transponder tracking at least) and in-flight communications for when planes are out-of-range of ground-based air traffic control. The authorities will not want to be put in a situation again where planes disappear and no-one realises until hours later. The volume of launches needed to support those could be enough to offset the loss of LEO commsat constellations to cellular networks - or maybe give those LEO satcomms companies an early enough start to keep them in the game against cellular.

Last edited:
Interesting diversion into the non-space world

My appetite for Constellation specs and renders remains unfilled, however... (that's a compliment).

It's tangential, by the way, but the trailer for the new Christopher Nolan film, Interstellar, has a nice homage to the space program, from Yeager to the final Shuttle flight. With one poignant remark narrated by Matthew McConaughey: "But we lost all that. And perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers..."

I guess that's a movie unlikely to be made in the world of Eyes Turned Skywards.

Given the subject matter (and the surprise!), I hadn't prepared any illustrations for this week's post, but I was inspired to take a quick look at President Gore's TV announcement that fateful Christmas in 1994.

gore2_sml.jpg

A few more thoughts on the possible repercussions of this attack and the response:

The Taliban remain in power in Afghanistan and will presumably remain an exporter of anti-US terror for the foreseeable future. Early drone strikes on terrorist camps and improved global anti-terror intelligence cooperation would probably limit their effectiveness compared with pre-9/11 OTL. But without an external force to push them, and given their brutal repression at home, the Taliban are going to remain in government for the foreseeable future. The street price for heroine will remain correspondingly higher.

Without the massive shock of the Afghan and Iraq invasions and being numbered amongst the “Axis of Evil”, Gaddafi’s Libya will also probably remain a state sponsor of terrorism.

Bin Laden and his money is presumably still out there, and the steadily increasing death toll from drone-strike ‘collateral damage’ will help his recruitment drive (though not as much as the OTL invasions), whilst those same strikes and increased intelligence effort will limit his effectiveness. I imagine airline security will have been beefed up enough to prevent a 9/11 style attack ITTL, but he’ll probably still be attempting attacks on US targets in the Middle East and 3rd World along the lines of the Kenya embassy bombing or USS Cole. Maybe the increased intelligence activity will pick him up earlier and prevent a major attack.

I imagine the effect on the US psyche will be less dramatic than 9/11. Though it was a big attack on US citizens, it was not the sort of massive strike on the homeland that 9/11 was, and taking place largely un-witnessed over the Pacific rather than in the heart of New York and the Pentagon means the Christmas Plot is a lot less visible and iconic. US home soil remains psychologically sacrosanct and unassailable ITTL. Coupled with Gore’s relatively low-key intelligence led response compared to the “War on Terror”, I suspect that, for better or worse, TTL’s Christmas Plot will fade from the public consciousness a lot faster.

Saddam’s probably safer. Without the “War on Terror”, even a future more hawkish Presidency would have trouble justifying a full invasion, and Gore would just not be interested as long as he’s contained in Iraq. Of course, this could simply make Saddam even bolder and more reckless than he was IOTL, so he could still do something stupidly provocative enough to lead to his downfall, and like Gaddafi he’ll probably still be quietly supporting terrorists – though not his ideological enemies Bin Laden or the Taliban.

Based on the 1995 terrorist capture involving the Federal Investigation Agency, it’s clear that Pakistan’s (presumably civilian, as per OTL) government is initially very cooperative, but this could change. If US drone strikes on terror camps in Afghanistan start pushing fighters into the safe haven of Northwest Pakistan, this could destabilise the government (as per OTL). This would get worse if the US begins striking camps on Pakistani territory (again, as per OTL). The reaction of the Pakistan military will be key here. If they remain on-side with the civilian government, maybe US aid will let them push the terrorists out. If however they see the terrorist threat as a lever to push out the civilian government, this could lead to an earlier coup. I could plausibly see it go either way.

It’s likely the NSA and its sister organisations will be monitoring more, earlier. Something like the Snowden revelations will probably crop up a decade or so earlier ITTL.

One other space programme impact: All those drones eat up bandwidth. The DOD's appetite for GEO-based satcomms is going to be bigger, sooner ITTL. Something like the Wideband Gapfiller/ Wideband Global SATCOM system will probably be needed for the late '90s or early '00s to meet the demand.

I recently found this thread while doing research for my Contact Lost universe and it's been an interesting read. I like the premise that the Shuttle was never built and how Apollo became the workhorse. Nixonhead's artwork is great as well!

The peace and quiet that was enabling these views, however, was about to be decisively shattered over the lonely Pacific Ocean...
I wasn't expecting the aircraft bombings, I was expecting Freedom to take a nasty hit of some sort. Nice plot twist! :)

-Mike

What is the operational life expectancy of the Freedom and is there any plans for stations post Freedom ?

Based on the tech level of the US at the time, I'd guesstimate that there are 10-12 good years for Freedom (based on the 7-8 good years OTL Mir had AFAIK). So that would make about 1997-1999 before Freedom really gets problems as it ages and decays.

Post-Freedom looks to be focused on Return to the Moon for NASA during the 2000's, but other nations should have their own LEO Stations, China being the obvious example.

Based on the tech level of the US at the time, I'd guesstimate that there are 10-12 good years for Freedom (based on the 7-8 good years OTL Mir had AFAIK). So that would make about 1997-1999 before Freedom really gets problems as it ages and decays.

Post-Freedom looks to be focused on Return to the Moon for NASA during the 2000's, but other nations should have their own LEO Stations, China being the obvious example.

Freedom was designed for a twenty-year life expectancy (similar to the ISS USOS, which after all was mostly Freedom-derived...and in some cases actual Freedom-built hardware). At the moment in the timeline, there is some thought going towards what will succeed it, but as Bahamut says NASA is presently focused mostly on lunar flights so it's on the backburner.

So the Bojinka Plot succeeded in this timeline. I guess the terrorists were inspired by NASA's decision to throw out the pie-in-the-sky Shuttle and go with the practical space station to similarly throw out the pie-in-the-sky aspects of their plot and go with the practical airplane bombings? ;)

The Taliban remain in power in Afghanistan and will presumably remain an exporter of anti-US terror for the foreseeable future. Early drone strikes on terrorist camps and improved global anti-terror intelligence cooperation would probably limit their effectiveness compared with pre-9/11 OTL. But without an external force to push them, and given their brutal repression at home, the Taliban are going to remain in government for the foreseeable future. The street price for heroine will remain correspondingly higher.

The Taliban weren't even in power in 1994; although they had begun to take control of outlying provinces, they weren't the only militia active in the country at the time. They only took Kabul in September, 1996... with an increased American focus on the Islamic world, they may well never come to power.

The Taliban weren't even in power in 1994; although they had begun to take control of outlying provinces, they weren't the only militia active in the country at the time. They only took Kabul in September, 1996... with an increased American focus on the Islamic world, they may well never come to power.

Oops, quite right, my bad! So as you say, the increased intelligence and diplomatic activity will probably throw a spanner in their works. So the 'neglect' of Afghanistan that helped the Taliban to seize power will most likely be ended in the mid-90s ITTL.

BTW, I'd almost forgotten, I did another render of the spacewalk for Post#13 which you might be interested to see. The astronauts are a bit tricky to pick out (which is why we went with the other one for the 'official' release), but you get a nice peek into the Cupola.

spacewalk.jpg

My approach so far in the text has been not to touch Mir expedition number with a ten foot pole. :p The regularity of Freedom and Spacelab flights means I can work out later mission numbers without having to construct the precise history and purpose of each intermediate mission, but Mir and Salyut 7 give no such luxury. "Unnamed Oct, 1994 Mir Expedition"? Alternately, given that they're now back to a more regular schedule, it might be possible to calculate a rough number of flights to have elapsed since Mir's start to the noted Oct 1994 flight, and make that the new baseline for Mir expedition numbers.

I've made an update to the Missions Wiki to include the recent Mir mission. Inspired by the convention used for naming exoplanets, I've settled on a mission numbering convention based on the year of launch plus a letter indicating the 'order of discovery' (i.e. the order in which it appears in Eyes posts). So for example mission 90a would be the first mission we hear about that happened in 1990. If in a later post we're told about a mission that launched earlier in 1990, that would be mission 90b, and so on. That saves having to retrospectively update all the mission numbers.

One assumption I've taken is that there would only ever be one 'guest' cosmonaut per TKS flight, so to get the two Chinese cosmonauts on Mir by the end of 1994 I've assumed there must have been a TKS mission between July and November that we didn't hear about. Similarly, 1993 has two missions carrying Indians, rather than one mission carrying two Indians. Please let me know if this assumption is valid or not!

Last edited:
Part III, Post 15: Domestic American policy after the Christmas Plot
Good afternoon, everyone! It's that time once more, and this week we're taking a look at some of the domestic effects of the Christmas Plot. We'll be covering the more general effects on politics and diplomacy in a future culture interlude, but for the moment we're looking at its effects on one particular part of American policy.

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part III: Post #15

As a part of its goal to improve American infrastructure and competitiveness for the 21st century, the Gore administration had proposed shortly after taking office that federal funding should be provided for a major upgrade of the American passenger railroad network, including the construction of a number of high-speed rail lines, much as it proposed funding for telecommunications upgrades, the national highway network, the national electrical distribution network, and other elements of infrastructure considered essential for modern life. At first, like most previous attempts at building an American high-speed rail network, the proposals proceeded slowly, concentrating mostly on paper studies of possible corridors and evaluations of various possible trainsets that could be used in the services. By the end of 1994, an observer could be forgiven for thinking that, like previous attempts to establish high-speed rail in the United States, Gore’s proposal would be going nowhere. With a Congress dominated by spending-concerned Republicans and little progress to date, it seemed that the Gore administration’s proposal would simply and slowly wither on the vine, dying off eventually for lack of attention. Then came the Christmas Plot, and suddenly the idea of passenger rail gained a breath of fresh air.

In light of the near-global shutdown of air transport that followed the attacks, millions of would-be air travelers had their holiday celebrations unpleasantly interrupted by the need to secure alternate transportation. Many chose to simply extend their holidays until air travel resumed, but many more scrambled to secure alternate transportation in the wake of the Christmas Plot, leading to near-record business for passenger rail, intercity buses, rental cars, and other forms of transportation. In the United States, many who had never before ridden a train had their first taste of Amtrak’s service. Although most outside of the Northeast Corridor were less than pleased with the experience, a few fell in love with the idea of traveling by rail, while many on the Northeast Corridor itself were attracted to the relative convenience of traveling by rail. Together, these meant that the huge spike in passenger figures experienced by Amtrak after the Christmas Plot was not entirely transitory, but followed by modestly improved ridership levels system-wide, especially on the relatively higher-quality Northeast Corridor routes.

As intelligence began to develop about the source of the attacks, it became apparent that much of the funding for the Christmas Plot had had its origins in the oil industry of Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries. Combined with Gore’s interest in environmental matters, this provided the impetus for perhaps the most important policy initiative the Gore administration carried out during their years in office. During an extraordinary speech to a joint session of Congress in early March 1995, President Gore called for a national effort to eliminate the nation’s dependence on foreign supplies of oil, both by reducing energy use and by actively developing alternative and non-fossil energy sources, such as solar, nuclear, and wind power. Passenger rail, as an alternative to both driving and flying, was prominently mentioned in his speech, which called for active development of the American passenger rail network to standards comparable to systems in Europe and Japan, where passenger rail carried significant shares of intercity traffic.

In the wake of Gore’s announcement, Amtrak immediately excavated the studies it had been conducting over the past year and a half since his inauguration, identifying the routes which seemed most amenable to high-speed rail. Topping the list, as always, was the heavily trafficked Northeast Corridor, Amtrak’s busiest and most profitable line, and the only one where it owned a significant portion of the physical infrastructure. Following it in the list were a system centered on the Chicago metroplex and serving most of the Midwest, probably the second most densely populated region of the country; a system serving the Texas Triangle; a California system tying together the southern half of the state from San Francisco and Sacramento to Los Angeles and San Diego; a Florida system connecting Tampa, Orlando, and Miami; and a Pacific Northwest system connecting Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. Upgrades to the Keystone Corridor and Empire Corridor routes connecting Pittsburgh and Buffalo with Philadelphia and New York City, respectively, were also considered. Aside from the Northeast Corridor, all of the proposed routes had the severe disadvantage of having relatively poorly developed passenger infrastructure and requiring significant upgrades to reach high-speed rail status. Even the Northeast Corridor would need major improvements to host Japanese or European quality service.

The eventual Amtrak strategic plan, outlined in a late 1995 white paper titled America’s 21st Century Passenger Rail System envisioned not only developing these routes into high-speed rail, but also significant improvements and upgrades of Amtrak’s operations and rolling stock. Building on the abortive Viewliner program of the late 1980s, the remaining “Heritage Fleet” rolling stock used by Amtrak, much of it dating back to the 1950s, would be replaced by greatly improved modern rolling stock, while a new block of Superliners and Genesis locomotives would be ordered to enable what Amtrak called “Phase I high-speed service”. Modifications would be made to the newer versions to enable running at up to 110 miles per hour, significantly faster than most Amtrak services could reach but still far short of true high-speed rail. Meanwhile, improvements would be made to the identified non-Northeast Corridor trackage to allow Phase I services to operate by 2010, something was not only far cheaper than leaping directly to high-speed but also beneficial to trains which could never run high-speed, such as the Coast Starlight. At the same time, significant upgrades would be made to the Northeast Corridor. While it often fell short of even Phase I standards, with many grade crossings, low-quality catenaries, excessively tight turns, and other problems, it was still ahead of the rest of Amtrak’s network, and the plan was to jump it directly to what Amtrak termed “Phase II” service by 2010, with peak sustained speeds of 150 miles per hour. After 2010, the Phase I corridors would be upgraded to Phase II service, possibly building off of the technology and designs developed for the Northeast Corridor, while the Northeast Corridor itself would be upgraded to a notional “Phase III” standard, with peak speeds in excess of 200 miles per hour, making it one of the fastest rail routes on the planet.

Unfortunately, despite the unusual political conditions created by the Christmas Plot, such a wide-ranging and ambitious plan was doomed to failure. The upgrades needed for the entire plan would require several hundred billion dollars from a Congress dominated by fiscal conservatives who had always been skeptical of the value of a passenger service requiring constant subsidies from the federal government. No matter that the expense would be spread over fifteen or more years, or that many of the improvements projected were actually to freight railroads, which had long been highly profitable; the full plan was simply a non-starter. Nevertheless, the terrorist attacks and Gore’s call for the United States to be energy-independent by 2015 meant that the plan did not simply disappear into the legislative process, but was amended, repeatedly, by those more interested in balanced budgets than passenger rail.

The resulting allocations in the FY 1996 budget did provide many of the things that Amtrak had asked for. Funding was provided for a Viewliner II block to replace all remaining Heritage Fleet rolling stock; additionally, the Superliner III cars and Genesis II locomotives needed for the expected Phase I developments were paid for.[1] Furthermore, a series of significant upgrades would be made to the Northeast Corridor and surrounding trackage. Most importantly, freight traffic would be completely removed from the Corridor, while infrastructure would be built to divert commuter trains from heavily congested areas like Penn Station.[2] Poor-quality electrical infrastructure would be replaced and the entire route electrified, with the long-term goal of upgrading the Corridor to a common 25 kV, 60 Hz operating frequency standard, allowing a significant reduction in ongoing costs.[3] Finally, grade crossings along the entire route would be eliminated and many curves straightened, allowing higher speeds. However, the more ambitious plans of developing multiple Phase I and Phase II networks were shot down; only California (where the state was not only already paying for comparable upgrades in some areas, but had indicated a willingness to assist in funding further Phase I level lines) and the Chicago hub area would be developed to Phase I standards, along with small parts of the Empire and Keystone Corridors. Additionally, the Northeast Corridor would not be upgraded to a full Phase II corridor, but instead to what was called a “Phase I+” corridor, with top speeds of only about 125 miles per hour instead of the previously planned 150.[4] This also meant that no expensive new trainsets would need to be developed to provide “high-speed” service; the existing AEM-7s with Amfleet carriages were perfectly capable of operating at 125 miles per hour and already did so on some stretches of trackage.

Although far less than Amtrak or railfans had hoped for, the FY 1996 budget did represent a massive sea change from the neglect and sometimes outright hostility displayed towards passenger rail during previous Congresses. While still a red-headed stepchild compared to road or air transport, Amtrak was for the first time in years receiving significant attention, funding, and support to improve its services from the poor-quality mess they previously had been to a high-quality system on par with regular passenger services anywhere in the world.

[1]: Essentially, because Phase I services target the 100-110 mph peak speed bracket, Amtrak decides that it makes more sense to use rolling stock essentially common with its existing fleet to implement it, to save money for the track upgrades, which are both more expensive and more important.

Note that the OTL California Cars (not quite the same as the Superliner IIIs) and the second block of Genesis locomotives (ordered about this time OTL) are perfectly capable of operating at those speeds.

[2]: Things like Access to the Region's Core, for instance. The idea is to ensure that most of the NEC is free to just run Amtrak trains, rather than a mix of commuter, Amtrak, and freight. So most of the upgrades to the NEC are for capacity rather than speed per se, although there are some areas where that implies dramatically improved speed limits.

[3]: Presently, the NEC uses two electrification systems; one, north of New York, of 25 kV 60 Hz AC (the global standard, insofar as such as thing exists), and the other, south of New York, of 12 kV 25 Hz AC. To be fair to Amtrak, the latter system was constructed by Penn in the early part of the century when they could not have anticipated that 60 Hz power would become dominant and there were certain technical advantages to 25 Hz. They simply haven't had the money to upgrade the system when it works reasonably well (as shown by Acela), if not quite as well as might be hoped (also shown by Acela: it needs two power cars to pull a relatively short trainset compared to similar services in Europe, not helped by the infamous Tier II crash standards!).

Here, the additional cash they have means they plan to upgrade the entire corridor, so modifying the distribution system at the same time makes sense; it means they can use the same hardware on all sections of the line and simplify their operations and locomotives.

[4]: You might note that this is slower than the top speeds on the Corridor IOTL, and in fact is identical to the top speeds achieved in the 1980s. However, the point behind the Phase X corridors is that essentially the whole thing is upgraded to permit operations at those speeds, rather than limited areas (which was and is notably not the case OTL, with severe speed restrictions in some areas--for instance, between Philadelphia and Penn Station Acela’s average speed OTL is 76 miles per hour). Although obviously some areas cannot reasonably be upgraded to operate at high speeds, where possible they are. So by the time this particular capital improvement plan is complete around 2010, running speeds for the regular trains are more or less comparable to present Acela speeds.

Many thanks to Devvy for providing helpful comments and suggestions for this post. Do check out his timeline Amtrak: The Road to Recovery if you have the chance.

Last edited:
the Christmas Plot, would also have vast consequence also in Europe And China
it will there push the installation vast High speed lines much faster as OTL

in Europe french President François Mitterrand will push the development of High speed rail network in Europe
it will be his last gift to Europe in 1995, he dies in January 1996 of cancer.

the french High speed rail network called Lignes à grande vitesse, short LGV will be extended to other capitols
first line from Paris over Brussels to Amsterdam.
then from Brussels to Cologne with connection to London over Eurotunnel
in same time the french build LGV into Germany, Swiss, Italy and Spain to connect there High speed Rail network in construction

but is hell of mess because the divergent electrification systems in Europe, so French build THALYS a TGV capable driving on French Belgium and German rail electrification systems.
and disaster strike as a german ICE 884 "Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen" derailed at 200 km/h (125 mph), killing 101 and injuring 88 in year 1998.

i asking my self would President Mitterrand "expansion" of LGV, let to export of TGV THALYS, especially after ICE 884 disaster ?
because the excellent safety feature of TGV, one derailed at 294 km/h (183 mph) without killing someone !

So if I'm reading that post right, the US (Amtrak) could be looking at something less than the TGV and more than the Intercity 125 by the 2010's. That seems about right given the - rather low - starting point.

But then the Airlines will either need to figure out methods of staying in business, or go bust. Perhaps both will happen - though not to all Airlines.

It looks to me like Gore is playing a shrewd game here. He must know that a lot of his environmental concerns would struggle to get made into legislation at the best of times, so by talking up the aspects of Energy and Economic Security, the chances of getting it through are increased.