Extreme AH Challenge: Nazi Germany allies with the Allies

....against the Soviet Union. I'm not saying happy buddy, we'll tolerate extermination and conquest, type of allies, but a mutual fight against the Soviet Union. My challenge is truly for the Soviet Union to be so big of a threat that Nazi Germany turns around and invades Russia. POD can be the 1920s, we still want to leave who replaces Lenin and what happens with Mussolini open to change to even make this an insanely near impossible possibility. We don't even need to have it be Hitler, per say. But it does have to be Nazi Germany. The most obvious things to come to my mind are:

1. Fascist revolts in France and Britian :)confused:)
2. Trotsky goes full out and replaces Lenin
3. More communist revolts in Eastern Europe because of a more severe depression which results in a united soviet including states like Hungary and Poland
4. Soviet Union invades Turkey and annexes all of it, controls the straits, and point 4 somehow connects with one or more of these points?

I said it'd be near impossible, that's why it's extreme. :D

I actually don't think this is that hard. What we'd need is for Stalin to betray Hitler after the non-aggression Pact. So perhaps if we delay WW2 somehow, and then by 1942 and 1942 Stalin starts to feel confident he can take on Germany. If it appears that Stalin is the aggressor, then the West will ally with the Nazis to take them down. Maybe Hitler decides to delay starting a war until his ally in Italy is ready, but by that time the West and the USSR have stronger militaries. So Hitler tries to use diplomacy, getting a similar non-aggresion pact with the USSR. But as time goes on, Stalin decides to invade Eastern Europe, thinking that the West and the Nazis won't collaborate.

Hitler dies after the occupation of the CSR. His successor, Göring, is too afraid of another World War to antagonise the allies, so - aside from the annexaction of Danzig - no action against Poland is taken.
The world continues to build up for war during the early 40s, until Stalin thinks he's built the Red Army up enough to conquer Europe. World War II starts with a Soviet attack against the Baltic states and Finland in 1947. Red sleeper cells in Germany, France, and the UK commit numerous acts of sabotage in support of the World Revolution.

In the end, WWII goes down as the War against Communism.

Maybe no purges in the 30's and superior Soviet equipment and planning leads to the Soviets attack Poland,Romania or Finland in the late 30's.

It seems like it might be possible to do something with the Winter War? Though you have the problem that the west really didn't care that much about Finland...

Red Alert I doesn't have a Nazi Germany, though.

No, but it does have an angry militaristic authoritarian Germany that's also by far the lesser of two evils. Replace von Esling with Hitler (well, more likely Roehm or Strasser) and you're done.

Last edited: