Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Well, I suppose I have been playing "good as Morocco" in that I have so far as 1474 pushed back the Portugese in one war only to lose to them and the Iberians in the next war but I attrition end their armies so much I got away without conceding territory. I even have Colonial Expansionism. It is just hard though to live in the shadow of Portugal, Castile, and Aragorn. Those three are thick as thieves! I could definitely repel one of them but all three is too much!

Oh and how do you discover new sea territory? Like discover the Americas?

I'm new here... but just wondering what do you guys think of the newly anounced DLC focused on trade?

Welcome! I'm really psyched about it, tons of potential and strategic options.

I'll certainly spend a fair bit of time testing to make sure its in the best shape possible come Q2.

Wait, those patchnotes. Does that mean I can form Colonial Nations without the Expansion, only not play as them?

Yes. This DLC had really few paid features; mainly the ability to play as revamped natives and colonial states and that's about it.

Meaning that someone who decided to only patch without buying it can still enjoy the full experience as any Eurasian nation. Its due to the modular nature of the DLCs, sometimes it's hard to keep the game fully modular without creating parrallel codebases, which they absolutely want to avoid. The result in those cases is more free stuff.

Quick question, is it possible in Conquest of Paradise to turn off randomised New World without disabling the DLC as a whole?

Correct, just look at the options before starting your game. Less than 20% actually used the random new world, its a niche feature.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I've been playing the Empire of the Romans, M&T mod, 1356 start.

It's 1358 and I've already annexed Theodoro and I have a 12k army(expandable to 14k).

Venice is currently getting it's ass chewed by the Hungarians, so I decided to doge pile! The war just started and I'm currently sieging Kriti.

In this war I'm planning on taking all my cores, AE be damned! I value the those territories that much!

Also last I checked the Venetians have like 1k troops and 23 ships(12 warships). The Hungarian-Croat army occupies everything on the Adriatic south of Trieste, which they are sieging. The Venetians are at ~5 WE and medium war enthusiasm. Good time to jump them, right?

Update: It is 1361 and the war is nearly over. The Damnedable Venetian Dog has lost his hold of Krete permanently and a Imperial Administration has been reinstalled over the island. The Vile Knights have also be ejected from former Imperial lands along the Asia Minor Coast with the help of Roman Compatriots, tired of Latin rule.

Currently the only area under Venetian rule, on paper at least, is the island of Eubolia off the coast of Attica. It is currently controlled by rebels friendly to Constantinople. Currently said rebel army has moved across the channel to take back Attica from the Duchy of Athens, a personal holding of the King of Aragon. If we regain this duchy it will go a long way towards reaffirming control of all of Greece and put us on track to return to Anatolia(although with the annexation of the city of Samos from the Crusader Knights we technically already did).

Emperor John VI is on track to be remembered as the man that laid the foundation for the restoration of the Empire in Anatolia with the next Emperor, his son Michael.

Next on the agenda is either Bulgaria or Epirus.

Update:

The war is over! Though Eubolea still eludes the Empire, we have gained much more than originally thought possible.

At this time the Empire will be focusing on expansion of the Army, Navy, and the treasury, particularly the navy. The Empire needs to become comparable to the other major regional threats, Venice and the Ottomans.

Update:

The empire's military has been expanded! The Army has expanded by 50% with the inclusion of the Attica Themata.

The Army organization is as follows:

Thema Imperia: 5,000 infantry 1,000 Cavalry
Thema Thesaloniki: 5,000 infantry 1,000 cavalry
Thema Attica: 5,000 infantry 1,000 cavalry

A rule of thumb for Thematas is, the moment a themata no longer needs an active defense(i.e. if the Empire reclaims Bulgaria and the Thesaloniki is no longer threatened with direct invasion) then said themata troops will be merged with a Themata that needs said troops the most(i.e. if the empire reclaimed territories in Asia Minor they'd go there).

Important reports in Geopolitics:

The Empire is at war with Serbia! We aim to reclaim Makedonia from them. Further more the Ottomans have declared war on the Corsicans. They asked us to join them, but as we were fully engaged with the Serbs we had to decline. Officially we wish them luck, but unofficially we kinda hope the Ottomans kick them out of the Aegean so that we can reclaim them when we take the fight to the Godless Turks.

Furthermore Epirus and Bulgaria have signed a treaty alliance to create a power block to curb our new rise in power. We do not fear them!

After this war with Serbia is over we might just consider a war against the Ottomans... a buffer between them and our glorious capital would do nicely.

Update:

It is currently the year 1366 and the war against Serbia has ended in victory... barely. Of the three battles fought only one ended in victory. Now with Makedonia in our hands we can consider a war for Epirus, which will more or less seal the deal for Roman dominance of Greece. The only real road block is the Bulgar alliance. There might just be a way to slip in to their, perhaps not good graces, but perhaps tacit abandonment of said alliance. Bulgaria is allied with Aragon and Naples. Perhaps with such strong support they will see Epirus as unneeded? Mayhap we convince them that Serbia and Hungary are the bigger threat and not the still struggling to revive Empire?

If we take Epirus we'll be in an excellent position to defeat the Ottomans later on.

Last edited:
Bohemia! Why are you Anti-Love?

image.jpg