Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

I love the drama that's beginning to appear on the Paradox forums now.

At first people though Ironman was crap because you could cheat. Then people realized that it was actually decently hard enough that very few people had the knowhow and actual desire to use the tools that you have to use in order to "cheat".

Then of course, someone finally noticed the terrible oversight on Paradox's part which I wondered about, but just thought I was imagining things. Surely they couldn't have overlooked THAT.

Edit a few text files, and you too can get a World Conquest with Ryuku in 1444! :p Now everyone's impressive empire is suspect and the accusations and denials are being flung left and right. :rolleyes:

I love the drama that's beginning to appear on the Paradox forums now.

At first people though Ironman was crap because you could cheat. Then people realized that it was actually decently hard enough that very few people had the knowhow and actual desire to use the tools that you have to use in order to "cheat".

Then of course, someone finally noticed the terrible oversight on Paradox's part which I wondered about, but just thought I was imagining things. Surely they couldn't have overlooked THAT.

Edit a few text files, and you too can get a World Conquest with Ryuku in 1444! :p Now everyone's impressive empire is suspect and the accusations and denials are being flung left and right. :rolleyes:

If you edit the ingame files you can't get achievements. It says that the game is modded or someone else's save game.

We're actually being fairly civil about it.

Just now someone who previously posted in a thread on the mission files "hack" (and is a fairly new user too) posted a 1700 something Ryukyu WC in the hall of fame, so ... well. I doubt it, since not even DDRJake has managed yet. I've requested the save file to check.

Edit: The hack is, basically, to take a basic vanilla mission and replace its reward with something like any_country = { NOT = ROOT } effect = diplo_annex or so.

Edit: The hack is, basically, to take a basic vanilla mission and replace its reward with something like any_country = { NOT = ROOT } effect = diplo_annex or so.

Yeah, I noticed after I edited a few of the broken missions, then went and played an Ironman, and was like "wait how is this even working? I edited the files? Did they somehow patch the game with these exact edits before I started the game?"

Update on my Austria->HRE Game:

The World:
P4ChBX5.png

Slowly expanding my actual provinces... but...

TxLF6In.png

The Personal Unions are insane.

Last edited:
Word of warning: it's not a good idea to link to images put up on limited-access parts of forums - even assuming that you're okay with only letting people who have EU4 see the image (and you might well be - this is the EU4 thread, after all), it still means that people have to log in to Paradox to see it.

Sorry about that, forgot. Its the Scheming Bureaucracy event, that enables Bureaucratic Despotism government type.

The Personal Unions are insane.

Yeah, they are/were. Can essentially unite your religious group way too easily.

This has been severely limited in the latest betas; you can now still Claim Throne as freely as now, but you can only use the associated CB on countries ruled by your dynasty already. That means either you restrict yourself to claiming only thrones your dynasty already rules (which is much harder to pull off consistently), or you 'gamble' by claiming thrones while knowing you cant press the claim. In this latter scenario, a PU will only be formed if the current ruler dies without ever getting an heir (and a succession war is still possible if there are multiple claimants).

Sorry about that, forgot. Its the Scheming Bureaucracy event, that enables Bureaucratic Despotism government type.

Speaking of Bureaucratic Despotism, Muscovy just broke my PU of them by changing their government to it.

What the heck. That totally should not be able to happen unless rebels do it. :mad::mad::mad:

I was 5 years away from integrating them! This is the only time I've really hated Ironman. After all the work I did, they just somehow can say HAHA, we'll just change government, bye bye!

Of course, there's no ability to reclaim the throne since they aren't the right government type anymore...

UGGGHHHHHH. I was really counting on that.

Speaking of Bureaucratic Despotism, Muscovy just broke my PU of them by changing their government to it.

What the heck. That totally should not be able to happen unless rebels do it. :mad::mad::mad:

I was 5 years away from integrating them! This is the only time I've really hated Ironman. After all the work I did, they just somehow can say HAHA, we'll just change government, bye bye!

Of course, there's no ability to reclaim the throne since they aren't the right government type anymore...

UGGGHHHHHH. I was really counting on that.

History sucks when you can't go back and change it, doesn't it?

History sucks when you can't go back and change it, doesn't it?

In history a country would be able to go to war against the nation that just broke their personal union.

Could you imagine if in the mid 1500's Aragon decided to change it's government and what was left of 'Spain' had no ability to fix that?

In history a country would be able to go to war against the nation that just broke their personal union.

Could you imagine if in the mid 1500's Aragon decided to change it's government and what was left of 'Spain' had no ability to fix that?

Agreed. Normally, there is a "Restoration of Union" casus belli (for example, when the subject spams you with insults and you have negative relations at monarch death), but that seems like an oversight. I was halfway through integrating France when the Revolution struck.

Alright, here's the first (very rough) draft of an AAR I am beginning to sketch out. I think it's sounds a bit too harsh through the whole thing, I want to smooth it out to start pretty dry and then ramp up to the Holy War feel.

Blood, Iron, and Faith: The Holy Roman Empire Reforged

In the 15th and 16th Centuries, Europe was at a crossroads. Heretics subverted provinces, and then Kingdoms, while the Christian princedoms fought and bickered over secular matters. And then religion would come to the forefront once more, as Heathens pushed once more at the gates, the Muslims looking to crush the faithful, while Heretics brought even further schisms to the church.

But there is hope. I shall guide the faithful, and unite Europe behind a unified Christian front. The Church shall rescue its fallen provinces, and push back the Muslims. The Holy Lands will be retaken.

The time has come; the heretics have proven their worthlessness. They shall be purged and those that turn back to the true faith shall find courage and honor with their service to the church.

There is but once country that can do this. It stands at the edge of the rational world. Its technology has been hampered by corrupt men and ideals, but that too shall fade with the help of God. Heretics and Heathens have beguiled the populace in the provinces around us, but they shall see the light soon enough.

Blood. Iron. Faith. The world shall once again remember the Glory of God, and the Holy Roman Empire shall be united in faith through force of arms to once again take up arms in defense of the church.
Anyone care to guess what country I will be playing as? :p

Alright, here's the first (very rough) draft of an AAR I am beginning to sketch out. I think it's sounds a bit too harsh through the whole thing, I want to smooth it out to start pretty dry and then ramp up to the Holy War feel.

Duh. The Ottomans.:p

Poland, Bohemia or the Teutonic Order is my guess.

If you guys haven't read DDRJake's Ryuku World Conquest (in progress) AAR, go read it.

Seriously. So many game mechanics which he is exploiting like mad.

Did you know that exiled ships can blockade? Tiny navy? Blockaing all of England is not a problem. :eek:

The man is the master of the exploit.

How are you making so much money? :eek:

An exploit of a mechanic where trade grows each time you steer it, so by the time the flow gets from China to Seville it's grown exponentially. This lets you build way over your forcelimit in light ships and capture just about all the world's trade while multiplying it by a factor of 45. Hopefully this gets nerfed hard in 1.2.