Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

I'm a bit of a Byzzie myself, and I was eagerly expecting his AAR to hit in order to enjoy the comments ;) Of course any BYZ AAR has it's haters, but he did great. [Recent changes may make his exploits difficult to reproduce, the Ottomans are now guaranteeing some of the juiciest targets which complicates things]

He's played fairly well, given his restriction of abiding to RNG missions. And presented the whole thing in a format that's attractive to the potential buyer and teaches stuff to newbies, so yeah, great material for a pre-launch AAR.

I was tempted to write one too but frankly, my AARs are always story style, barely brush on mechanics, and way too lengthy - so I'd be terrible for pre-launch stuff.

Theres many other good ones written up on the beta boards so you should be getting more stories everyday. And if all goes well, demo goes live on Friday.

This is my last day off till after the 18th, so I'm glad I got something out of pre-release to tide me over.

I should probably make more progress on that 800+ page volume on the Thirty Years War I just started reading.

Played through the demo as Venice. Absolutely love it, except for some minor graphic things (map overlays should be semi-transparent to show off the beautiful terrain, and everything seems rather large on 1368*786). Trade and power points are hugely interesting.

Played through the demo as Venice. Absolutely love it, except for some minor graphic things (map overlays should be semi-transparent to show off the beautiful terrain, and everything seems rather large on 1368*786). Trade and power points are hugely interesting.

If enough people think like this I am willing to bet there will be a mini-mod for that.

I just went through the demo's History files all countries will at least have 1 female ruler possibility. there's new countries such as revolter states in China like the Shun,Zhou and Xi, and East Frisa in 1644. Other states will have more leader flavor, like appropriate retainers for the Daimyo's and more family related leaders for the Mongols and Manchus. Apparently looking through the localization files there's going to be more DLC thats coming out.

Played as Portugal.

Looking good as balls so far, except two things stood out: a) sometimes a mini-window took forever to recede, and 2) this:

wut.jpg

If enough people think like this I am willing to bet there will be a mini-mod for that.

Believe it or not, the first mods are out already. I don't think map overlays are moddable, though. They weren't in CK2.

Looking through the game files, there are an insane lot of flavour events for, say, Venice (a second-tier power). There's also plenty of other interesting stuff. Only thing I missed were the other options to the Comet Sighted event :D

Played as Portugal.

(..) and 2) this:

Lucky for you, there are substantial changes to religious rebels in the day one patch.

Its actually not as tested as I'd like it to be as its a last minute addition, but countries can now have many types of religious rebels at the same time. The old formula limited you to one type at a time, which was silly for global empires.

Played as Portugal.

Looking good as balls so far, except two things stood out: a) sometimes a mini-window took forever to recede, and 2) this:

Sikh heretics led by a Muslim revolting in Portugal? I can see that EU is back, baby!:p

I didn't notice the manual is already out. Loaded it onto my iPhone, and now I have something to read when I go to the pisser. :)

AlexG

Banned
I already preordered and I can't wait ! The only speed bump is that the demo ran badly for me in terms of speed, but hopefully that is changed with the full game !

Bytewave - what can you tell us about colonization? Does it look semi-plausible?

I think I posted stuff on that topic earlier? But either way, yeah... It does look semi-plausible ;)

SPA and POR colonize very historically. FRA and ENG sometimes less so; they frequently trade historical areas, colonization in East Asia tends to be both a bit late and a bit more random than the Americas.

There are still major gains. The map doesn't get 'painted' nearly as fast for instance, and the overall result feels more genuine.

Its still a Eu game though. Dont expect historical simulation. Just like in prior titles, there is fair share of randomness, and that can easily means barely recognizeable maps. But overall, I'd say the colonial world tends to be a fair bit more historical than in 5.2.

I played the Portugal game. Shit didn't allow me to colonize till after 1500, probably because I was spending my monarch points on, well, you know what? I'm drunk right now and I'll just say in the demo it worked fine.

In 1444, Portugal starts with a truckload of historical explorers so if you want to colonize quickly, its great.

However naval ranges still apply. Dont expect to settle the Americas right away. Good strategy would be to grab the richest spots on the African coastline and rush DIP tech for naval range. With an explorer advisor and a port in the Azores, you can get to the nearest New World provinces pretty darn quick.

Not that different than starting as POR in 1444 Eu3, mind you.

And the mod we're all going to play is already being worked on. MEIOU and Death & Taxes have merged to form MEIOU & Taxes, aka the God Mod.