Europa Universalis III

Yes. The answer is no. :p Provinces-wise, this part of the map hasn't changed, though there's alot more provinces in many parts of the world. Eastern Europe and Asia (including India) have changed quite a bit.

Can you tell us if anything's changed about Italy?

Why, though?

A small polity's existence isn't a spectacular event. Luxembourg definitely had a greater impact on events than Andorra ever did. Tiny things like the Vatican and such absolutely don't deserve provinces at the EU scale.

I mean I wouldnt OBJECT if they had added Andorra, but I dont see why this is a big deal?

(Bold mine.)

The Vatican as it exists now didn't exist until 1929, so of course it would be ridiculous to include it in EU3 (and EU4, presumably). The Papal States, on the other hand, existed until the late 19th century before being annexed by Italy and they're playable in EU3. Just saying.

I'm talking about the little ones like Lippe-Detmold that had no real importance and did'nt fit either of those, but rather simply existed.

As it stands, aside from the four Microstates, all of the European countries except Andorra are included.
No, you're not, because Lippe-Detmold does fit into that, as well making forming Germany harder.

I am so delighted right now.

Playing EUIII as Poland-Lithuania with a 1508 start. In 1510, I got into a personal union with Russia. Now it looks like I'll have a personal union with Sweden and Saxony too when my king dies. The Reformation has begun, and Lithuania is Protestant, but it's no biggie.

My vassals are Mazovia and Brandenburg (Teutonic Order turned into Prussia, and I got a reconquest casus belli, so I ate them). I'm having religious issues, but I always do, so it's no biggie.

EDIT: ...and it's gone. No more Poland-Lithuania-Russia-Sweden-Saxony

Poland-Lithuania-Russia...-Ragusa

Can you tell us if anything's changed about Italy?

(Bold mine.)

The Vatican as it exists now didn't exist until 1929, so of course it would be ridiculous to include it in EU3 (and EU4, presumably). The Papal States, on the other hand, existed until the late 19th century before being annexed by Italy and they're playable in EU3. Just saying.

I'm well aware, I was using it as an example of scale. I should have used Liechtenstein or Schmalkalden for clarity.

My Current Ottoman Empire Game:
GrandCampaign19Political.gif

Interesting Facts

-Granada, Tunisia, and Libya (My Vassals) have tech levels similar to or higher than most of Europe. Granada being a Bright Green on the Tech Screen.

-Norway was doing fantastic, destroying Sweden, Norway and inheriting England, till it fell apart due to Scotland wanting the British Isles.

-Persian is a Horde.

Why, though?

Christmas & Cocos islands are included (and are made HUGE) in Victoria for whatever reason. There's no explanation for not being able to include actual countries.

Want me to do my rant again about how it shouldn't be province-based anyway? Paradox games should have the map handled with VECTORS. It's really simple. Just have all the data blobs overlaid on those maps and the rest of the views derived from that data. In EU, for example, there would be only 4 primary data points, and the rest of the possible map views would be formed from them.

Terrain: showing what underlying points are and are not passable (mountains, which are snap points), delineating snap points for rivers, and setting up baselines for latitude and longitude.

Political: showing international and internal country divisions.

Religion: showing blobs of religion.

Culture: showing blobs of culture.

The terrain map is the base map. Beyond the coastline rules, there would be the "impassable mountain range" rule internally, points set up across the map for rivers, and the x/y coords for latitude and longitude. The lines drawn by the mountain ranges, rivers, and lat/long would be auto-snappable in the political map. This would allow the user to CREATE AND DEFINE HIS OWN REGIONS BY HAND, managing them like the real leaders of these countries did.

How does it make any sense that an alt-country has to rely on OTL modern day borders to colonize something when they made it there first TTL? In colonizing, I should be able to draw a line (a vector line, on the map) beyond my existing borders, call that my claim, and hope (spur on) my population takes root there before my competing nations do. If they don't, they don't, and I'm called to the diplomatic table with the other nation to come to an agreement on a solid border. I get to draw my new border (based on the population/religious/culture/resource data at the present time), and they get to accept or reject it. Then they get to do the same thing.

Oh, and determining said borders internally? Well, you'd want to look to the religion, culture, and resource blobs for that! Those blobs, overlaid, would determine the unity and financial sustainability of a region.

Let's say an area of your country wants to go from colony to full state. If you make it too large, it would be run inefficiently, since being too far from the capital would create negative sentiment and lax law enforcement. If you make it too small, other parts of your country would feel misrepresented. If you don't give it enough resources (enough underlying, overlapping blobs), it would become a financial drain on your country and wouldn't grow in population. Et cetera.

A big point of this is allowing multiple resources in the same place. You should be able to get grain/wheat/corn/meat from the same place you can get oil, gold, or diamonds, after all. It's not like we have giant fields of solid diamond sitting around. Same with religion.

It's just calculus to work out the size (and therefore value) of the overlapping areas of the map, based upon the top level administrative divisions that you created or were already in existence at the start of the scenario. It's painful and involved calculus, yes, but you're not the one working it out; your computer is. We certainly have computers powerful enough to handle these calculations. So why aren't these games the absolute best they can be?

Oh, and freaking 64-bit. Beyond support for more than 4 gigs of RAM, I'm sick of playing Victoria, having a ton of province… whatever they are. Actions. The things that are defined by your primary culture which make absolutely no sense to be defined by your primary culture. Using most of them, and then suddenly it swings around to 1/1 and prevents me from using any more than that ever because my population ticked over the 32-bit ceiling. Same with money. :mad:

The big problem is that it would be phenomenally difficult to make V2 work via vectors. It's something which I could see working very easily with EU3, but even CK2 would create a big mess with keeping titles consistent. With V2, which is pop-based, the calculations would be phenomenally difficult. You can't simply have a line on the map showing "west of this is Protestant land, and east of this is Catholic Land," because, in these border regions, and also especially in areas which are major migration targets (America, and colonies, principally), you have more of a hodgepodge than an actual line.

In essence, to make V2 work with vectors, you'd need to move from the far simpler system of pops belonging to a specific province to pops being associated with a vaguely defined point or area. This is not only less accurate and more ridiculous than V2's province system, but would be infinitely more difficult to draw in. If you want it to work in a way that makes sense, you're just literally multiplying by several times the number of pops that need to have calculations done for them. Given how much processing power is already consumed calculating pops which are divided into neat little provinces, vectors would be even more impossible, because you'd have to draw the map as well, and allocate pops there. Any conceivable way to make it run efficiently can and is better done with the province system.

To give another example; what about uncolonized regions with native pops? If you drawn in the border, how do you decide which pops go inside the border and which go outside the border? What if it's a mixed pop region? All of this is just creating unnecessary difficulty. And we have to do this every time we start a new game?

Of course, I may be missing something huge, but this is exactly the sort of thing I can see as working well enough for EU3, but being completely impossible for V2 and CK2.

With V2, which is pop-based, the calculations would be phenomenally difficult. In essence, to make V2 work with vectors, you'd need to move from the far simpler system of pops belonging to a specific province to pops being associated with a vaguely defined point or area. This is not only less accurate and more ridiculous than V2's province system, but would be infinitely more difficult to draw in. If you want it to work in a way that makes sense, you're just literally multiplying by several times the number of pops that need to have calculations done for them.

Why not just assign an x/y coordinate on the map a certain number? The point is the city and the number is the population thereof. Yeah, you'll have a lot of coordinates, but with that I don't see a problem keeping track of the population unless there's something I'm still missing. If that point is above a blob of wheat, for example, you'd have a dedicated proportion of the pops as farmers there. Same with the other types.

You can't simply have a line on the map showing "west of this is Protestant land, and east of this is Catholic Land," because, in these border regions, and also especially in areas which are major migration targets (America, and colonies, principally), you have more of a hodgepodge than an actual line.

For the games for which that is a concern, of course not, and that's not the solution posed. You'd have blobs for them, too, and they'd overlap. A point that is on top of a blob of only Catholic would have Catholic pops. A point on top of a Catholic/Protestant/Islam overlap would be mixed.

Oh, I forgot to mention specifically how fronts in a war would be drawn realtime as your troops moved through an area, and then when the war is over the border would be drawn at the negotiating based on the warscore in addition to what I mentioned above (religion, culture, resources, etc.).

I think I just nerdgasmed

I dunno; people keep saying this is difficult to compute, but is it really? It's just calculating the area underneath multiple curves. It's probably multiple variable calculus, which is hard for people, but we're running these games on crazy-fast computers.

Slight aside: I've recently been playing POPs Of Darkness in Victoria II and I'm blown away with how COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE IT IS. I mean utter fecal matter. There's lag equivalent to five frames per second on a game that, well, would have frames to care about, and every keystroke takes ten seconds to register. I have to hover over a button for five seconds to make sure the game knows where my cursor is and then another five after the click to make sure it clicks where the cursor WAS, not where the cursor is now. I could see this being used as a "reason it can't be done", except the vanilla game itself doesn't have any problems like that, so it's just ludicrously poor optimization in the mod code.

Are Paradox games even multithreaded? I feel like they aren't.

^ Ha, that's the best.

Is everyone going to jump ship to EU4? I can't get it just yet (I need a better computer first, and I also want to wait it out and see if it needs any patches) so I'll be playing EU3 for a while at least.

^ Ha, that's the best.

Is everyone going to jump ship to EU4? I can't get it just yet (I need a better computer first, and I also want to wait it out and see if it needs any patches) so I'll be playing EU3 for a while at least.

I only got EU III a few months ago (Divine Wind specifically) and am still playing it, also I NEVER buy a game like this when it first comes out, I wait a year until they've fixed all the problems and added all the DLC they distribute into a single new version, so yeah, I won't be jumping ship.

I only got EU III a few months ago (Divine Wind specifically) and am still playing it, also I NEVER buy a game like this when it first comes out, I wait a year until they've fixed all the problems and added all the DLC they distribute into a single new version, so yeah, I won't be jumping ship.

Oh good. This is how I think too and it's good to know I'm not the only one. I wouldn't want to be the only one left playing EU3, especially since right now I'm in the middle of a couple of games I wouldn't want to give up on. :D

I also need to come back to this thread and post some pictures of WTF things happening in my games.

Well, thanks to Europa Universalis IV, I felt inclined to finish my game as Burgundy in Europa Universalis III.

It started with a simple mission; conquer Liege. And oh, Liege had a few allies, so I positioned some armies there too.

But those allies had allies too, it seemed.

In fact, more than half of Europe ended at war with me. A war that lasted multiple real life hours.

And I had modified the game, so that every religion - and not only pagan nations - were annexable And at the very beginning, I had decided that I could either make a white peace, or annex them...

... Something something infamy...

And I really need to mod out this 'unlawful HRE territory' thingy.

But fear not, Burgundy won!

Well, thanks to Europa Universalis IV, I felt inclined to finish my game as Burgundy in Europa Universalis III.

It started with a simple mission; conquer Liege. And oh, Liege had a few allies, so I positioned some armies there too.

But those allies had allies too, it seemed.

In fact, more than half of Europe ended at war with me. A war that lasted multiple real life hours.

And I had modified the game, so that every religion - and not only pagan nations - were annexable And at the very beginning, I had decided that I could either make a white peace, or annex them...

... Something something infamy...

And I really need to mod out this 'unlawful HRE territory' thingy.

But fear not, Burgundy won!

I want to play a game as Burgundy soon to colour as much of the map as I can. I hate the "unlawful HRE" territory thing too but congratulations, that sounds fun -- I hate it when alliances start bringing in other alliances and soon you're at war with everyone, but it's fun if you win.

I thought you could annex Christian nations too? When I play as European minors I can always annex stuff, I just have to watch out for infamy and unstable expansion but I can definitely annex them.

In regards to the unlawful HRE thing all you need to do is simply remove the territory from the HRE (allowable as a province decision if you're capital is outside the Empire) before the Emperor demands it.

I want to play a game as Burgundy soon to colour as much of the map as I can. I hate the "unlawful HRE" territory thing too but congratulations, that sounds fun -- I hate it when alliances start bringing in other alliances and soon you're at war with everyone, but it's fun if you win.

I thought you could annex Christian nations too? When I play as European minors I can always annex stuff, I just have to watch out for infamy and unstable expansion but I can definitely annex them.
I think you're restricted to annexing everything but one province, and then having to fight another war for the last province.

I did what was said here; adding 'annex=yes' to every religion.

The AI behaves much more different now, nations have random holdings everywhere (Bohemia has most of the Papal States, along with a slew of other random provinces). The AI seems to be much more 'succesful' in wars in general (Venice has quite some territories where it'd normally wage war over, Scotland has most of Britain...).
In regards to the unlawful HRE thing all you need to do is simply remove the territory from the HRE (allowable as a province decision if you're capital is outside the Empire) before the Emperor demands it.
Ah, interesting! However, I fear Burgundy's capital is within the HRE... Isn't it? I haven't seen such a decision anyway.

EDIT: Austria and Savoy declared war barely a month after peace. So much for peace... Who wants to bet that all of Germany, France, and Italy will declare war upon me, with random supporters such as Poland, the Teutonic Order, Castille, or the Ottomans. :p

Last edited:
Question.
Yesterday I was playing my lovely campaign with Prussia, unifying germany etc.
I was doing this in the train on my laptop untill.....
2% battery power remaining.

:O lets save fast.. completed. few now lets end the game and shut down the computer, but it was already to late the computer crashed out of lack of power.

So today I power and restart my laptop all is well if not for one thing.
EU3 does not start anymore!
I run EU3game.exe, something responds but nothing happens. no screen nothing.

Can anyone help me with my problem?

Cheers Volks

Hey, if anyone still plays this: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get EU3 working for multiplayer? I'm trying to set something up with a friend, but we're at Uni and have no access to forward any ports.

Any idea's on how to go about this? Direct connect via IP doesn't seem to work...