Europa Universalis III

Arghhhh! The ruler of my mighty Dutch Empire just died and after a victorious succession war I get vassalized by PROVENCE?! WTF?! How do I free myself from the yoke of these gallic assholes?

Arghhhh! The ruler of my mighty Dutch Empire just died and after a victorious succession war I get vassalized by PROVENCE?! WTF?! How do I free myself from the yoke of these gallic assholes?

You've got a couple options.

Basically, to get out of it immediately, you can allow yourself to be taken over by pretender rebels or switch to a republican form of government. If you don't mind waiting or the other options are too painful, then you can send insults to Provence until your relations are below 0, and keep them that way until their monarch dies.

Also, Personal Unions and Vassalages are two different things.

You've got a couple options.

Basically, to get out of it immediately, you can allow yourself to be taken over by pretender rebels or switch to a republican form of government. If you don't mind waiting or the other options are too painful, then you can send insults to Provence until your relations are below 0, and keep them that way until their monarch dies.

Also, Personal Unions and Vassalages are two different things.

What's my best bet for regaining the Holy Roman Empire? Republicanism wouldn't work, right? Should I just be patiently insulting?

Last edited:
I as Bretagne sent many colonists to the American east coast starting 1456, moved my capital to Connecticut so I could colonize faster in about 1467, sold the original Breton lands, and continued to colonize until 1525 or so, when all my provinces were fully colonized. Ah, gotta love the "send 400 colonists per colonization attempt" option. Now I am the richest nation in the world :p.

The other nations were controlled by the AI. The most powerful nations are in the key and are easily visible on the map. I faded the smaller nations to put attention on the major ones.
Brilliant!

Its been a time of nothing much happening.
I reloaded, and made sure to give France several gifts and stopped emargoing them and their allies. It worked, and when the truce expired they did not attack, but they still seized Picardie from Burgundian rebels. Because of my ever failing reputation, relations keep going down so I can make no real progress. Bad boy is at 20.2 at this time. I also made an alliance with Aragon (greatly reduced) to encircle France and they declared war on most of Italy so I did not answer their Call to Arms. Add a few failed cardinal influences and I now have -20 Prestige. Anyone I ally with simply deserts me the day after. Peace reigns, but I fear it wont last. Any ideas on how to raise Prestige and make BB go down a bit faster?

What's my best bet for regaining the Holy Roman Empire? Republicanism wouldn't work, right? Should I just be patiently insulting?

To be HRE you need to be a monarchy (of course), not be under a personal union or regency, and have a majority of electors voting for you when the incumbent emperor dies. To get an elector to vote for you, you need to increase relations with them, 200 usually works, then wait a few months and they should switch their vote. Alternatively, you could vassalize them; a vassalized elector always votes for its lord.

VT45

Banned
Its been a time of nothing much happening.
I reloaded, and made sure to give France several gifts and stopped emargoing them and their allies. It worked, and when the truce expired they did not attack, but they still seized Picardie from Burgundian rebels. Because of my ever failing reputation, relations keep going down so I can make no real progress. Bad boy is at 20.2 at this time. I also made an alliance with Aragon (greatly reduced) to encircle France and they declared war on most of Italy so I did not answer their Call to Arms. Add a few failed cardinal influences and I now have -20 Prestige. Anyone I ally with simply deserts me the day after. Peace reigns, but I fear it wont last. Any ideas on how to raise Prestige and make BB go down a bit faster?

Well, part of the problem of you being abandoned by your allies is that you don't answer their call to arms. That breaks the alliance. You need to answer the call to arms. In Aragon's case, you're always going to war with someone in Italy, in which case they're far from your reach. Just because you go to war with Milan doesn't mean that you have to invade Milan.

Also, those wars are considered justified and will not affect your badboy score, good or bad. So you don't have to worry about that.

As for your prestige, the best thing to do is adopt QftNW as a National Idea, and start exploring and colonising. That'll get your prestige out of the toilet. Barring that, you can always cheat...

I dont really want to cheat on my first proper game. Learn the ropes, you know. Anyway, in the small bit Ive played today, the Lord has answered by prayers and I became the Papal Controller! Soon my reputation was going down and my prestige up, and I finished paying off all my loans with money to spare. I gave gifts to France just to keep the relations out of the -190 zone, but then got hit by obscurantism. Rather than lose my prestige, I took the revolt risk, confident that my +3 stability and my distributed armies could take it. I was right, as the revolt in Anwerpen was quickly put down. I love the Pope!:D

I dont really want to cheat on my first proper game. Learn the ropes, you know. Anyway, in the small bit Ive played today, the Lord has answered by prayers and I became the Papal Controller! Soon my reputation was going down and my prestige up, and I finished paying off all my loans with money to spare. I gave gifts to France just to keep the relations out of the -190 zone, but then got hit by obscurantism. Rather than lose my prestige, I took the revolt risk, confident that my +3 stability and my distributed armies could take it. I was right, as the revolt in Anwerpen was quickly put down. I love the Pope!:D

Yeah, cheating is a bad way to learn the ropes.

So things are going better? Good!

Well, France & Co., Brabant and Hainaut attacked AGAIN, and I really cant take them all at once. How can I stop them from attacking? Brabant and Hainaut have Royal Marriages and good relations, and I have no idea why they keep declaring war unfailingly.

Well, France & Co., Brabant and Hainaut attacked AGAIN, and I really cant take them all at once. How can I stop them from attacking? Brabant and Hainaut have Royal Marriages and good relations, and I have no idea why they keep declaring war unfailingly.

The fact that your view of "good relations" seems to be "higher than -190" might be part of it. Keeping a bunch of troops on the border at all times also helps. If all else fails, excommunicate their king and ride out the war (although that's more a wartime plan than a preventing-war plan).

The fact that your view of "good relations" seems to be "higher than -190" might be part of it. Keeping a bunch of troops on the border at all times also helps. If all else fails, excommunicate their king and ride out the war (although that's more a wartime plan than a preventing-war plan).
Actually, with Hainaut I have +30 relations.;)
Its pretty much a hopeless effort. With no diplomats either, its impossible to negotiate so Ill probably end up casting off most of Flanders. Also, Im not the Controller any more.:(

Volks you can change certain things in a game. If you start one there is a button called options. There you can set the size of colonists to a higher amount.

I can think of two, three options, depending on how you look at things:

1. Ally with Spain. Give France a second front to worry about.

2. Ally with the Holy Roman Emperor/Austria. It'll do you good.

3. Is Antwerp part of the HRE? If not, get the province to join, and become best friends with the Emperor. Next time the Franco-Belgian alliance attacks, the Holy Roman Emperor will be on your side. I think.

VT45

Banned
I can think of two, three options, depending on how you look at things:

1. Ally with Spain. Give France a second front to worry about.

2. Ally with the Holy Roman Emperor/Austria. It'll do you good.

3. Is Antwerp part of the HRE? If not, get the province to join, and become best friends with the Emperor. Next time the Franco-Belgian alliance attacks, the Holy Roman Emperor will be on your side. I think.

That, and you might end up as Holy Roman Emperor if you grease enough of the right palms...

Actually, with Hainaut I have +30 relations.;)
Its pretty much a hopeless effort. With no diplomats either, its impossible to negotiate so Ill probably end up casting off most of Flanders. Also, Im not the Controller any more.:(

Hainaut's not your problem. You shouldn't be worried about Hainaut. What you care about is the Big Blue Blob next door - that's the one who you need to get stupendous relations with.

How many diplomats per annum are you getting? And does France insult you after you send them gifts, or just let the relationship slide back down?

I was bored, so I decided to start a Portugal game in HTTT and chronicle it in this thread. I'll try to post something every time something important happens, or at a regular interval, but I might get lazy and stop posting. In fact, that's probably what will happen. But I'll try not to!

Anyway, yeah, Portugal. I've never played as them too far before, HTTT or otherwise. I'm probably not going to be taking advantage of the new dynasty and marriage system very much, and I think I'll focus mostly on colonization. Although, if a golden opportunity comes my way, I won't refuse it.

Portugal at the start:
2lwud0i.jpg

(Yeah, f11 gives a normal screenshot, I thought it would give a game-only one. Is it annoying to have the shot from a windowed screen, or does it not matter? Personally, I like to play it windowed. And yes, that is a Lego Universe background.)

So, I've got six provinces and a very poor CoT, a pitiful army (but not so bad for a game-start army, though it is all infantry), an alliance and royal marriage with England, and although you can't see him here, a simply amazing general for the early game (4/4/5/0).

My first move is going to be to ally myself with Castille so they don't kill me, and build up my army. Then, I might attack Morocco to start building my colonial empire, if Castille doesn't get to them first. I'll be focusing on Trade tech (after I get +3 stability, of course) until it hits 7 to get QFTNW, and then I'll see what I need.

Next post at 1419, or if something of import happens.

I recently got the EUIII, and I was wondering how to install mods. I put the (for example) WWM folder in the Mod folder, and the the only option was default.

Thanks in advance,