Europa Universalis III

Don't worry, Ill continue the AAR, I'm at 1510 right now, I just have a backlog of screenshots and have to do this thing called "college"... now... umm I mean 10 minutes ago. :eek:

That is definitely not true. I have never had that happen or heard of anyone having that happen, in all the four years I've been playing Paradox games.

I am still waiting for someone to give proof (i.e. a screenshot) that you can annex non-pagan countries that more than one province in one war.

Here's a trick to enable Christian annexation.

Go to the religions XML file.

Copy the text that says 'annex=yes' under the pagan religions into the other ones.

Enjoy!

Be warned: may cause blobbing...

Pardon my language.

Here's a small AAR for you guys! :D (Using Vanilla EU3, Magna Mundi Mod, Normal Difficulty)

I started as Saxony, and I have the goal of becoming the German Empire in mind. I immeadiately got a Royal Marriage/Alliance with Anhalt, as well as Pommerania and Poland.

The idea behind that is: I am going to eventually diploannex anhalt as it is nothing special, and it can wait; while Pommerania has no territories that interest me, and usually can field a good army, and it has the ability to build a navy in the baltic. Not a big one, but you'd be surprised. Poland is a useful ally against Bohemia, and if they go to war with Lithuania, I am not worried as I have the entirety of Poland as a buffer, not to mention Lith would have to get military acess from either bohemia or Brandenburg first.

I also had an alliance with Brandenburg/or would have one soon after beginning of game.
In practically all the EU3 games I've played, Poland and Lithuania have been (dare I say?) BFFs throughout it all. There's almost no worry about Lithuania attacking Poland, especially in 1453 when they're in personal union with each other.

Ahh what a great game, haven't played it for a few months. I had various troubles with it though. I played as France, unified it, swallowed up the British Isles and fair chunks of Scandinavia and some stuff in the Iberian peninsula, and colonised much of North and South America. Usually I like to get a country involved with 10 enemies at once and then grab lots of chunks from it (Russia).

But I had some problems with this, see I was the Catholic defender of the faith. But as time progresses this became outdated and my provinces kept repeatedly switching faith, over and over, which is expensive to put down when you have a big empire...and as defender of the faith I couldn't change back...

Annoying thing is, I had to reformat my computer and lost all that hard earned data...might reinstall it and get the expansion pack too.
See, this is why vassal empires great for late-game shenanigans! There's no need to worry about all this religious claptrap, and you still end up rolling in dough if you know how to do things properly.

Also Alikchi, how the fuck did Lithuania manage to get that big? Conqueror of Anatolia jesus christ.

Also Alikchi, how the fuck did Lithuania manage to get that big? Conqueror of Anatolia jesus christ.

I don't know! It's absolutely ridiculous. I think it was a lucky break more than anything. Nearly all the Russian countries fought each other continually for a lot of the game and basically imploded aroudn the same time as the Ottomans. The Lithuanians just took advantage.

Here's a trick to enable Christian annexation.

Go to the religions XML file.

Copy the text that says 'annex=yes' under the pagan religions into the other ones.

Enjoy!

Be warned: may cause blobbing...
I know that. ;) I'm waiting for someone to do it with an unmodded game. :)

But anyway, hooray for making EU3 even more like EU1! :D

August 2, 1464- Austria's Pain

This was a very embarassing turn of events to the powerful nation that usually either starts snowballing out of control, or at least makes a generally respectable effort at becoming a powerful nation (in most games I have played). I believe they WERE also the HRE at this point. (Not for much longer though.)

You can also see the Palentiate has gotten a territory gain. Interestingly enough, The Palentate has been an effective military force in this game. Or maybe has just put its troops in the right place at the right time, as it has annexed at least 5 countries within 25 years of start date. (It had to give them back up, but it's the thought that counts! :D)

Austriaspainaugust1464.jpg

(About the above post: I think she got most of her territory back after this, just took about 3 years with all those petitions to the Emperor. And it's a real smash to Austria's prestiege I would think. Yes I called her a she. For some reason I am thinking of Austria in this game as a she.

...I just realised why... as you will see later on in my AAR, it will just be made into every other country's b**** every other decade! :D)

PS- how do you make pictures not be attatchment and just in the post so you can type words after it? (Nevermind I found it)

Last edited:
January 1, 1494- The Rise of Saxony as a Major Power

Early on (about the 1460s) I got into a war with the Teutonic Knights, (which appear to have been neutered in this game, and can't seem to fight effectively, and it's armies seem to be throwing flowers at their opponents) and managed to capture Warmia, as it was the closest territory to me that was NOT part of the HRE. I am Holy Roman Emperor at this point (til about 1510), and when my ally/vassal captured Danzing, I chose to do nothing about it. :D)

Jan11494SaxonyNorthEurope.jpg

Then I got into a war with Brandenburg, which failed to assist me in a war against... (someone relatively powerful), and relations quickly plumeted from there, sparking a new war when I DoWed Bohemia, which was their new ally.)

Pommerania and I split up the remains of Brandenburg after I swiftly removed Bohemia armies from anywhere north of Austria. Bohemia was hit from Poland, Lithuania, even Autria in the first year of the war, as well as my allies, Anhalt and Pommerania.

One again there was a misfiling of the paperwork regarding Brandenburg's petition of its Neumark territory.

I also chose not to do anything about Brandenburgs complaints about its western provinces either.

Then Denmark and I became... disatisfied with each other's militay and economic presence on the Baltic Sea. This was Denmark's first of FOUR catastrophic mistakes.

1. Declared war on the Holy Roman Emperor based on the fact I was recovering from a war and had severely decimated troops. Being the HRE, and having about 100 gold in my coffers due to two seperate peace deals, I was able to raise a brand new, completely intact army within 3 months of the DoW, and bring it's force up to do battle with Denmark.

2. Declaring war on me WHILE IN A WAR WITH SWEDEN. Now, that may not be too bad, but it was basing this off the fact its vassal Norway had beseiged and taken 3 of Sweden's provinces. However, Norway's army was either trapped in it's northern most province, or beaten down to a small writhing pulp.

I got Military Acess through Luebeck, and then hammered my first army into the prepared Dansih attack. My General with his solid fire and shock bonuses made up for the tech difference and it became a long a bloody brawl, but then I managed to get about 4000 more infantry into the fight and it swiftly changed in my favor. I besieged Slevisg, and prepared myself for Denamrk's counter attack.

3. Denmark didn't counter attack. It had a numerical advantage, I had about 6000 men and cavalry still alive, while it had 5000 FRESH troops plus its remaining attack force of about 4000. My troops were low on morale as well.

I captured Slevsig, then decided to push my luck and leave it with a garrison of 200, and attack Jylland, into a dead end. I managed to beat the 3000 troops stationed there with a resonable amount of life lost for the effort, and got two fresh cavalry regiments into Slevsig before the garrison fell, making the Danish troops retreat across the narrow strait to Fyn.

I then left 1500 infantry in Jylland to slowly wear the garrison down, then brought the full force of my troops to Slevsig, and began to recover my wounds, and begin bringing peace deals to the table. I also upgraded my force to a better form of infantry at this time. I could not attack across the narrow straits of Oresund due to my lack of a navy.

But I saw a chance , and took a pretty stupid risk, and launched my force into Fyn, when the Danish Navy was forced to dock after a battle with the Swedish Navy.

But after the battle began, part of the Danish Navy was undocked again, trapping me on the island of Fyn. For better or worse I was stuck there.

But after miraculously winning the battle ( again, Denmark didn't bring the rest of it's army to the battle), I captured both Jylland and Fyn. Denmark offered me Jylland and Slevsig as a peace offering, but I refused since I wanted some gold as well, and went to make a counter offer.

That's when Denmark made it's fourth and final mistake:

4. It removed it's navy from Oresund, and went north. My armies were now free to march across the narrow straits unchallenged. It also had no troops in its territories, as it had made a push north in an attempt to swiftly end the war with sweden.

I marched through Denmark's remaining provinces, leaving just enough to starve the garrisons, and then combined forces with Sweden to destroy the last NorMark army.

I took all of Denmark's territories except the capitol as booty.

I became the world's newest Major Power. :cool:

Last edited:
You know, all this makes EUIII sound really fun. I think I might get it anyways instead of Civ 4.

A few more notes on this game about the other regions (to the time period of the last post): Burgundy has done well, and has annexed a couple of small countries, and even survived a war with France, even though it had 4/5 of its territory controlled the last time I checked before peace was declared. (I suspect a renewed outbreak of violence between the English and French caused a sudden end to the war without any loss of territory.)

Sweden has retained all of its original possesions, and may have even added a few to the east.

Muscovy and Lithuania are thriving, and Novgorod appears small now.

The Ottoman Empire is slowly growing.

The Golden Horde now has one terrtory north of modern (OTL) Israel, and a few in (OTL) egypt. The rest are either not known to me, or non-existant.

Crisis in Burgundy- February 24, 1501

As the Holy Roman Emperor, it was my duty to see to the welfare of the various states of the Empire, and France was too powerful in its own right to coexist peacefully with the rest of Europe.

Thankfully, it's obsession with England had distracted and it had emptied its coffers a hundred times over in an attempt to defeat the Naval Behemoth.

Unfortunately, as the end of the fifteenth century drew near, I began recieving disturbing reports from my informants that France had began building up troops next to Burgundy. Burgundy had kept itself independent for some time now, most likely due to its support of France, as well as its own powerful army. However the balance of power had shifted in france, as france had long since grabbed every last bit of land near it except for Brittany, a small remanant of Aragon, and Burgundy.

I wed my nephew, a young prodigy who had been proving himself on the battlefield in the endless battles with Danish rebels, to the daughter of the Burgundian Monarch. This was a close as we dared to go to establishing an alliance without Frace declaring war, and we could not risk going to war if England did not come to our aid while she was preoccupied with Ireland.

However, as the final year of the century drew to end, I recieved word that my friend had grown very ill. In 1501, the monarch of Burgundy, whose only heir was that of his daughter, passed away.

Saxony had now been given rule over the land that France had coveted, and believed was theirs, vast armies marched towards Burgundy, and it seemed that now war would consume Europe.

One thing I don't like about EU games is that you have to take a lot of land to get few provinces.

also when fighting big and powerful country (say France, Spain or Turkey) you take their rich provinces. However if in peace negotiations you demand couple of them you easily run above war score. Say you take Lombardia, Parma, Liguria, Ile-de-France and Picardy. they are worth a lot (say 20% each), however your total war score is 35% (less if you get your ports blockaded). so at best you can get one province. :mad:

Also in EU II when fighting country with colonies you were offered colonies you didn't actually take just so they could get their core province back. In EU III this isn't happening.

Does anyone know why I never get land on my maps? I get borders and names of provinces with terrain if I add that option but for some reason, it always appears as the same look as the sea.

I do love their games, but there are a lot of factors in it that piss the hell out of me!

Having a giant empire is sometimes quite a problem, its extremely expensive to upgrade and takes forever. Just clicking every province when you have hundreds takes a while...and don't get me started on trying to colonise entire North and South America..I was over ambitous! And the manpower gets seriously dried up warring when you are a large empire.

Usually once I've beat a state I force it to release all of its nations from annexation, which means there are several small states that shouldn't be there at the time!

I also have a certain fondness for Scandinavian countries, so I made allies with Denmark and allow them to run amock with my help (Sweden and Norway no longer exist as a state :D). Denmark have cut a massive corridor all the way from Denmark through Germany and into Italy.

The Burgundian Inheritance- February 24, 1501

I Inherit Burgundy, but in order to not throw the region into utter chaos, behind the scenes diplomats reach a compromise between France and Saxony, giving France the lower region of Burgundy, while Saxony gets to keep all of Burgundy's northern provinces, including the rich CoT: Vlaanderen, as well as all of it's conquered possessions.

February1501-burgundyinheritance.jpg

Unfortunately, certain provinces decide to refile their petitions for independence, and with my badboy already at 23 after the inheritance, I decide to let go of all except one of the petitioners, as it will actually reduce my BB, and got it down to a much better on the diplomatic relations 16. It is now time to start securing my borders, and improving my economy.

August1501-afterreturningseveralbur.jpg

The Heathen Empire at the Gates- September 12, 1504

The Ottoman Empire is the only other Empire (besides France) I can see in the game that has actually began to grow quickly and early in the game.

Now, in 1504, the Ottoman Empire is a force to be reckoned with, annhilating Austria's might in a matter of months.

OttomanEmpireasofSept1504.jpg

There have been rumblings in inner sanctum of the vatican, and nations wait with bated breath on whether or not a new crusade will be announced!

In the mean time, my empire and influence has grown:

SaxonEmpireandFriendsEuropeSept1504.jpg