Europa Universalis III

But I annexed both some Native American Nations and they were even bigger or roughly the same size.
Ah, that's different. You can annex pagan nations no matter how big they are. Also, if you have NA (or maybe this was included in 1.3, can't remember) once you occupy a province owned by a pagan you can have your army seize the province and it will become owned by you immediately for a higher badboy cost.

You can change this in the religion.txt file. The religions that you can seize provinces from and annex no matter what will have 'annex = yes' in them.

Ah, that's different. You can annex pagan nations no matter how big they are. Also, if you have NA (or maybe this was included in 1.3, can't remember) once you occupy a province owned by a pagan you can have your army seize the province and it will become owned by you immediately for a higher badboy cost.

You can change this in the religion.txt file. The religions that you can seize provinces from and annex no matter what will have 'annex = yes' in them.

Actually, in the vanilla version, you can immediately sieze pagan provinces as though they were colonies.

Actually, it is true. I've been playing Paradox games since EU2, and I know for a fact that you can't annex countries in EU2 or EU3 if they own more than one prov. I know in Victoria that the limit was changed to uncivs or 3 provinces or smaller, but definitely not in EU3.

well, I annexed countries that had 2 provinces. I'm pretty sure I annexed some with 3 provinces as well.

The limit was always three provinces. You're reputation would suffer, but you could do it.

thank you, finally somebody agrees with me. and who cares about reputation. If people hate me they go to war with me and end up annexed and I don't suffer stability penalty.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahem.......

On the whole, "you can annex an entire country" vs. "no you can't"

Are some of you playing with vanilla EU3 and others with Napoleon's Ambition?

Cause I hear they changed some things when it comes to annexing entire countries in the expansion. Oh, and I really, really, really want NA. I am stuck with vanilla, and it sucks. I have a limit of 2 allies. I can't ask anyone else to be my ally once I have 2. Or is it once they have 2? I can't remember, either way it is is really silly.

I am currently playing a "normal" game, and have told myselft not to cheat even if the great armies of france decide that the mighty Saxon Empire is a threat. All.... 5? 6? provinces of it.

Anyone got recomendations when it comes to keeping inflation down? I don't like the tech cost penalty, but even if I have minting to 0, that just makes inflation 0, and so I can't ever reduce my inflation. :(

I am currently playing a "normal" game, and have told myselft not to cheat even if the great armies of france decide that the mighty Saxon Empire is a threat. All.... 5? 6? provinces of it.

Anyone got recomendations when it comes to keeping inflation down? I don't like the tech cost penalty, but even if I have minting to 0, that just makes inflation 0, and so I can't ever reduce my inflation. :(
I play with NA these days. I've forgotten the differences already.

Dealing is France is relatively easy. Bribe 'em, or if that's too expensive just ask for military access and royal marriages to increase relations and make war hurt more, and/or ally with someone powerful- maybe even France! They're much less likely to betray an ally in EU3 than they are in, say, Medieval 2:Total War.

You can bring minting below 0, y'know. Also, build Tax Assessors as soon as you can. They both help.

On the whole, "you can annex an entire country" vs. "no you can't"

Are some of you playing with vanilla EU3 and others with Napoleon's Ambition?

Cause I hear they changed some things when it comes to annexing entire countries in the expansion.
I'm definitely sure that in NA you still can't annex non-pagan countries that own more than one province.

The limit was always three provinces. You're reputation would suffer, but you could do it.
The limit is three provinces in Victoria, but I am sure it's one in EU2 and EU3, in all versions. Give me some solid proof that you can annex non-pagan countries with more than one province and I'll change my mind.

In EUII, one can annex a country if one's war score is 100. Playing as China, I've annexed (a more than one province) Vietnam. One is warned that such an action will negatively affect one's relations with states of the same religion greatly.

In EUII, one can annex a country if one's war score is 100. Playing as China, I've annexed (a more than one province) Vietnam. One is warned that such an action will negatively affect one's relations with states of the same religion greatly.
That is definitely not true. I have never had that happen or heard of anyone having that happen, in all the four years I've been playing Paradox games.

I am still waiting for someone to give proof (i.e. a screenshot) that you can annex non-pagan countries that more than one province in one war.

I was going to post some screenshots here, but the size limit is too large and imageshack is terrible and impossible now :(

Here's a small AAR for you guys! :D (Using Vanilla EU3, Magna Mundi Mod, Normal Difficulty)

I started as Saxony, and I have the goal of becoming the German Empire in mind. I immeadiately got a Royal Marriage/Alliance with Anhalt, as well as Pommerania and Poland.

The idea behind that is: I am going to eventually diploannex anhalt as it is nothing special, and it can wait; while Pommerania has no territories that interest me, and usually can field a good army, and it has the ability to build a navy in the baltic. Not a big one, but you'd be surprised. Poland is a useful ally against Bohemia, and if they go to war with Lithuania, I am not worried as I have the entirety of Poland as a buffer, not to mention Lith would have to get military acess from either bohemia or Brandenburg first.

I also had an alliance with Brandenburg/or would have one soon after beginning of game.

January 3rd, 1456- The Sharpening of True Glory's Sword

As usual the Northern Baltic states are putting down rebellions and are of no immeadiate threat to me. However Denmark vassalizes Norway soon after this. Or maybe Norway was always Denmark's vassal and I didn't notice until now. meh. :eek: This creates a pretty strong force that will create a military build up in the Baltic as Sweden and NorMark begin to prepare for war.

Denmark has been militarily active in Northern Germany, and it is causing me to become uneasy. I am not yet sure if it will be able to retain it's possesion after it has annexed them, or if the HRE will demand their independence.

I am stunned by how lucky I get with my first espionage act. I was expecting it to take at least 5 years before I could sucessfully fake a claim, but I get a sucess on my first try with Hannover. I quickly move in and annex them. Having a core on it means I do not have to worry about the HRE demanding the province's independence.

(Denmark loses control of Luebeck within 2 years, I assume from the HRE demanding its return; and Mecklenburg also returns Luneburg to independence. I keep my possesion.)

January3rd1456-NorthEurope.jpg

Ahh what a great game, haven't played it for a few months. I had various troubles with it though. I played as France, unified it, swallowed up the British Isles and fair chunks of Scandinavia and some stuff in the Iberian peninsula, and colonised much of North and South America. Usually I like to get a country involved with 10 enemies at once and then grab lots of chunks from it (Russia).

But I had some problems with this, see I was the Catholic defender of the faith. But as time progresses this became outdated and my provinces kept repeatedly switching faith, over and over, which is expensive to put down when you have a big empire...and as defender of the faith I couldn't change back...

Annoying thing is, I had to reformat my computer and lost all that hard earned data...might reinstall it and get the expansion pack too.

Ahh what a great game, haven't played it for a few months. I had various troubles with it though. I played as France, unified it, swallowed up the British Isles and fair chunks of Scandinavia and some stuff in the Iberian peninsula, and colonised much of North and South America. Usually I like to get a country involved with 10 enemies at once and then grab lots of chunks from it (Russia).

But I had some problems with this, see I was the Catholic defender of the faith. But as time progresses this became outdated and my provinces kept repeatedly switching faith, over and over, which is expensive to put down when you have a big empire...and as defender of the faith I couldn't change back...

Annoying thing is, I had to reformat my computer and lost all that hard earned data...might reinstall it and get the expansion pack too.

I've noticed that once you reach a certain size of empire, things sort of start to crumble around you, unless you're a very good player with the right kind of government and advisors and etc. Which seems reasonable to me, I never liked how once you crossed a certain level in Hearts of Iron, you could basically conquer the world..

Also, I have screenshots of a couple games I'm playing. They are huge, sorry.

First, the Golden Horde. I did a bit of reading before deciding to play as them - basically, the three major surviving Mongol kingdoms in Russia (GH, Kazan and Crimea) fought among each other until they were supplanted by either Muscovy or the Ottomans, historically. I wanted to unify the three tribal groups and then try and reconquer Russia. Here's my progress..

eu31fj2.jpg

So, things have gone pretty successfully. Kazan is gone, and I've won successive wars against Muscovy lately. (For reference, the one brown province next to independent Ryazan and surrounded by my armies is Moscow.) Unfortunately, the tribal government group sucks at administrating a country this large, and I have revolts ever week, it seems like. I'm nearly bankrupt from having to support all these armies. I need a decade or so to stabilizer, but I keep getting grudge match fights from the Muscovites. Still, I have enough territory right now that I should be able to settle and stabilize for a while. How do you change government from one type to another, anyways? My options seem to be limited to Tribal Federation, Tribal Democracy, and Tribal Despotism.

Next is Italy (formerly Venice). This is the first serious EU3 game I played, and it's still only like halfway over. :rolleyes:

eu32asdfsmasdfoj1.jpg

I started playing as Venice, and immediately began making war on my neighbors :D, with the eventual goal of unifying Italy. This was accomplished (minus Sicily) around 1525, with the help of troops from Austria occasionally. Austria has been one of my strongest allies, and the only thing that has kept me from being crushed by the evil Burgundy-France alliance. You can't really see it in this screenshot, but Burgundy absorbed Switzerland early and has been allied with France nearly the whole game, making them an almost unstoppable duo.

My Italy has been a lot more stable and financially successful than my Golden horde, as you can see. Right now my army is returning from helping Austria with a war against Poland. Also, as you can see, Lithuania controls all of Russia, the Caucasus, and most of Turkey for some reason. :rolleyes: And Italy controls the Holy Land. I was bored, so I went on crusade and converted the heretics. :D

PS - please do continue your AAR, Iamwinterborn. I've always wanted to try Germany. :)

Last edited:
Here is how you change governments:

But if you'll notice (I didn't when I posted it), it doesn't list tribal govs. Thats cause they can never change to anything outside the tribal group. YOU'RE SCREWED! =D

No seriously, this is the developer making some civs impossible to wank with in a unhistoric way. I find that revolting that you can't change from tribal to anything else. I understand why civs have a tech handicap if they are not western, but not being able to change from tribal is pretty lame.

Of course, you could just say that your leaders have been plottingthis for a century, and that in a moment of total chaos in the country the spotaneously decided to become a Feudal Monarchy! (aka, edit save file. :D)

governmentsps9 bad quality.jpg

Last edited:
Also Alikchi- what version/mod are you playing with?

NA 2.1 + Magna Mundi for my Golden Horde game - the Venice/Italy game started before I was aware of MM. :)

Thanks for the chart, and the info! That's really useful. *right click, save-as.. I probably will just have the current High Chief "declare himself Khan" and move over to Feudal Monarchy. :)