EU 3 Demo out

Faeelin

Banned
There's a demo for Europa Universalis 3 out now. Based on it, I'm gonna have to say I'm leery about buying the game.

Bah. How dare you remind me. I only have pixelshader 1.4 so when I downloaded it took me two hours just to figure out I can't play it. :mad:

I'm disappointed. It seems Paradox has decided to go with the HOI formula, which is a LOT of input for tiny amount of output. It's like getting a brand new racing car, then spending 1 year customizing and tweeking it down to the bolts in the engine, at the end only to realize that your city has a 10kph speed limit. :rolleyes:

I'll also wag a finger at Paradox for falling into the graphics trend. My heart goes out to the people who are unable to play the game due to system constraints. The map doesn't even look that good. My head hurt the first time I saw it, but now I got used to it. The forests and water didn't even need to be so good. But what looks rediculous now are the huge moonwalking soldiers. They looked appropriate in EU2, when mountains were a brown-colored area with a picture, but now they look stupid with the forest up to their shins. I'm sorry, but only Caesar was a giant among men. Couldn't they have settled for flat rectangles crawling around a map, like looking at an army from a bird's-eye-view? It's not like you would have trouble locating them, since someone at Paradox got a boner each time he saw large waving flags (another super-redundant feature).

Oh, and about the music. I don't think I've ever complained about the music at any game at all, but does anyone else find that the music belonged more in Lord of the Rings? In the scenes around the Shire. The lush green setting of central Europe doesn't help either.

And they've still haven't included some of the interesting features. Marriages are once again a click-click-click: "you got +25 in relations!" How about we actually do play the King of the country, and not some obiquitous advisor; how about we actually marry real Queens/Princesses and not a button? Sure, you can still keep the simple button option for your henchmen, but wouldn't it be great to see the genealogy of your royal family?

I love games that are simple to learn but heard to master. Now they've just strayed off that formula. Ten buildings to look after in each province, still persistnently banging our heards by sending merchants to the CoT... wait, I don't even think they have an "autosend" option :mad: ... Looking after each 1000 men regiment? Does anyone care what each regiment is named? Those three slots for advisors that increase your research in exchange for some cash per month? How does that differ from simply adjusting the appropriate slider? *sigh*

And they've still haven't included some of the interesting features. Marriages are once again a click-click-click: "you got +25 in relations!" How about we actually do play the King of the country, and not some obiquitous advisor; how about we actually marry real Queens/Princesses and not a button? Sure, you can still keep the simple button option for your henchmen, but wouldn't it be great to see the genealogy of your royal family?

This very feature is what IMHO made CK the second best of all P'dox games (after EU2).

Just so many missed opportunities for P'dox.

I dunno if I'm going to buy it. Often times Demos don't do justice to a game. I'll have to see what the reviews are on the P'dox forums.

Faeelin

Banned
It also feels frustrating, like there's no way to tell when a monarch will die and let you gian their throne. This wasn't true at all OTL; people were waiting for the Habsburgs to die out in Spain.

And it's very hard to tell where your capital is, based on the map. Likewise, you can't see what additional cultures you have.

This very feature is what IMHO made CK the second best of all P'dox games (after EU2).

Just so many missed opportunities for P'dox.

I dunno if I'm going to buy it. Often times Demos don't do justice to a game. I'll have to see what the reviews are on the P'dox forums.

Really? Is that "Crusader Kings"? Maybe I should give it a try.

From screenshots CK actually looks almost exactly like EU2...

To me, the demo seems to be a mixed bag but, knowing the paradox community, the number and variety of mods will make my inteded purchase of the game more than worthwhile.

Really?

It doesn't... feel right to me, I guess. The graphics look terrible, and I don't like how the results are going to be completely ahistorical.

More a reference to how it requires a pretty powerful computer. It doesn't work on my laptop at all.
It works on my big computer but then thats a gaming machine.

It seems OK...its just not EU though :(
I'm getting it anyway, maybe once I've read the manual and I can save and all I'll get into it.

Its ugly as sin of course- I was saying the map was ugly before it became standard to say so though :p

Semi ontopic: Doesn't Johan come to this forum occasionally?

Really? Is that "Crusader Kings"? Maybe I should give it a try.

From screenshots CK actually looks almost exactly like EU2...

CK plays VERY DIFFERENT from any other P'dox game, but somehow still FEELS like a P'dox game.

In the game, you actually take the role of the ruler of the nation, and bloodlines are very important. One of the most gratifying feelings in gaming is when I, as the King of Bohemia, inherited the throne of Hungary. Presmyslid Kingdom of Bohemia-Croatia-Hungary! Mwahahaha!

I'm disappointed. It seems Paradox has decided to go with the HOI formula, which is a LOT of input for tiny amount of output. It's like getting a brand new racing car, then spending 1 year customizing and tweeking it down to the bolts in the engine, at the end only to realize that your city has a 10kph speed limit. :rolleyes:

I'll also wag a finger at Paradox for falling into the graphics trend. My heart goes out to the people who are unable to play the game due to system constraints. The map doesn't even look that good. My head hurt the first time I saw it, but now I got used to it. The forests and water didn't even need to be so good. But what looks rediculous now are the huge moonwalking soldiers. They looked appropriate in EU2, when mountains were a brown-colored area with a picture, but now they look stupid with the forest up to their shins. I'm sorry, but only Caesar was a giant among men. Couldn't they have settled for flat rectangles crawling around a map, like looking at an army from a bird's-eye-view? It's not like you would have trouble locating them, since someone at Paradox got a boner each time he saw large waving flags (another super-redundant feature).

Oh, and about the music. I don't think I've ever complained about the music at any game at all, but does anyone else find that the music belonged more in Lord of the Rings? In the scenes around the Shire. The lush green setting of central Europe doesn't help either.

I love games that are simple to learn but heard to master. Now they've just strayed off that formula. Ten buildings to look after in each province, still persistnently banging our heards by sending merchants to the CoT... wait, I don't even think they have an "autosend" option :mad: ... Looking after each 1000 men regiment? Does anyone care what each regiment is named? Those three slots for advisors that increase your research in exchange for some cash per month? How does that differ from simply adjusting the appropriate slider? *sigh*
:confused:
HOI2 is a much more fun game then EU2. If you want to do the geneology thing, play Crusader Kings, it has all those things and more