Ethelred the Pious (Viking England)

Very interesting TL! I just have a question, what exactly is the Sylannine Order?

Thanks, and I wish I were more inspired to carry it farther. It's quite stalled now, but "someday" I'll get back to it and figure out just what was going on in Germany. (England's more or less set up to AD 1000.)

The Syllanines are sort of a cultural sideshow to this TL. Here is their story, copied mostly from the Wikia page.

The Syllanines

The Syllanines began as a Cornish monastic order whose ideas influenced monasteries in the British Isles and France. The Order ruled the Isles of Syllan, or Scilly, for some centuries.

Background

The kingdom of Kernow is called Cornwall in OTL English and Kornland in Englesk. It was harassed by its neighbors throughout the Anglo-Saxon era; the Viking defeat of Cornwall's Saxon enemies in the ninth century helped the little kingdom preserve its independence. Kernow was a tempting prize for the Danish chieftain Hrolft the Northman, Jarl of Dafna, or Devon. He invaded and placed his son on the throne in 904, taking great care to keep his new kingdom separate from the Viking kingdom of Jórvík on the other side of the border.

Hrolfr's son Vilhjalmir (William) Longsword extended Kernow's domains by conquering the Channel Islands and raiding the French and Breton coasts. But he and his successors were far more interested in ruling Cornwall than in governing their original English fief in Dafna. Gradually, they ceased to be Anglo-Nordic overlords of Kernow and came to behave more like rulers of a revived Cornish kingdom.

For over a century the kings of Jórvík, Dublin, and other neighboring states repeatedly asserted their overlordship in Kernow. Many Viking chieftains landed in the kingdom and received Kernow's submission, but the country's isolation allowed it to avoid direct control by any outside power. Sweyn Forkbeard's conquest of England c. 1000 also left Kernow alone. Afterward, when England became an independent and unified kingdom with lands on both sides of the Irish Sea, Cornwall was finally joined to the larger country. By then, most of its aristocratic families had died out.

The Isles of Syllan were officially part of Kernow, but the kings only occasionally had actual control over them. During the age of the Viking raids the Isles were attacked repeatedly. The situation grew worse after c. 920, when some Vikings began to use the isles as a setting-off point for raids on the European continent. None of them showed enough interest in the Isles to conquer or settle them, but the raids were enough to permanently separate Syllan from the rest of Kernow. After the death of William Longsword in 960, no Cornish king made a serious effort to rule the islands, being far more concerned with their possessions in the Channel.

The Order

The monasteries had been the basis for societal organization in the Syllan Isles long before Kernow even had its own king. The chaos caused by the Norse left the monasteries as Syllan's most permanent social institution. In c. 930 the Abbot of St. Elid, the Isles' oldest, formed the monasteries into a tight organization, with control of the Isles' land, food production, and defense.

The Isles' isolation attracted many monks and nuns from across the British Isles. A number of archaic Celtic Christian practices could be found in Syllan after they had died out in Scotland and Ireland. However, Syllan was not completely cut off from wider Christendom. It was influenced by the Clunaic movement after c. 1000, and it in turn influenced monasteries in southern England, Ireland, Brittany, northern Neustria, and Angelania.

In 1018 some of the Order's leaders made a pilgrimage to Rome. They managed an audience with Pope Benedict VIII, who recognized the Syllanines as an independent order, Ordo Scilloniensis. Around the same time, the center of power shifted from the tiny isle of St. Elid to the newer monastery of St. Mary, on the largest island.

Syllanine artistic works are admired today for their austere beauty. Anything ornate or expensive would be stolen by Vikings, so the monks emphasized simplicity. Syllanine calligraphy was developed into a remarkable art form, but featured no illumination or illustrations and used few colors. Excellent crosses and sculptures were carved into outcroppings of rock that could not be smashed or carried away. The Clunaics on the Continent contributed an emphasis on the liturgy as an art form, very appealing to the Syllanines. The Clunaics' love of ornateness and avoidance of manual labor, on the other hand, did not fit the realities of life on the Isles.

These ideals were upheld by monasteries affiliated to Syllan throughout northwestern Europe. The Syllanines never achieved the wide spread of the Cluniacs but were an important regional movement.

Later history

It was only at the end of the medieval era that England finally began to exercise real authority over the Isles. By that time the Cornish language was already dying out in much of Cornwall. The Order itself was absorbed into a larger monastic movement around this time, and the several monasteries were merged into one, St. Mary.

Seal and arms

The order used a seal from its early days that took the form of one variety of ringed Celtic cross used in Kernow, with small circles representing the isles. Later the seal was formalized as a coat of arms, making it one of Europe's oldest heraldic symbols. It was colored blue for the sea, and the writing that had appeared around the outer ring was removed. The arms are blazoned: "Azure, within an annulet argent a cross patée-alisee argent between four plates."

The symbol is known locally as St. Mary's Cross and is still used today as a symbol of the Isles of Syllan.

Syllanine%28EtP%29.PNG

It's time to get this started again.

First off, I have been doing a fair amount of reading about the later Frankish kingdoms and am about ready to decide a final course for them.

Next, I have worked out a general plan for Spain and Gaul's history, dominated for the most part by the Neustrian kingdom and the emerging Saraqusta (Zaragoza) emirate. The came to dominate eastern Spain and (through its vassal) southern Gaul a generation after the breakup of Umayyad Cordoba, which occurred around the same time as OTL (the caliphate was larger, but the same dynastic tensions tore it apart).

This map shows the region c. 1050. It is not definitive.

attachment.php

Finally, I think I have underestimated the spread of Christianity among the Danes who settled in England. While the chieftains might still be embarking on their raids for a longer period than in OTL, it's definitely clear that the new gentry are settled in quite comfortably by the late 10th century in a country with a very strong Christian tradition. I think conversions are going to be rather more common than I had thought before, though the upper nobility might take longer to come around.

This changes, of course, when the already-Christianizing kings of Denmark gain control of England c. 1000.

Last edited:
Excellent! I originally read this on the AH Wiki and thought it was very good. I'm glad you're getting back to it!

The Western Empire from 880-c. 950

The Robertian counts of Paris were destined for great things in TTL as well, but took longer to come to the forefront due to a lull in Norse attacks in the late 9th century. The emperors in this era were:

• Charles the Fat: 881-888
  • Louis the Wary:888-915: The disastrous Italian campaign that resulted in his blindness in OTL did not happen. He was ultimately killed in battle against the Magyars.
  • Charles the Simple: 915-932
During Charles the Simple's reign, Viking attacks ersumed after a 40-year lull. This time the raiders came from England in force beginning in the 920s. The new round of attacks tore the Carolingian empire apart at last. Protesting the lack of protection from the Emperor, Odo's brother Robert began his revolt. Ultimately he captured Charles, who died in prison.

Robert gathered a circle of noble supporters to recognize him as ruler of a restored Kingdom of Neustria, one of the old pre-Carolingian Frankish kingdoms. In the wake of his rebellion, the Carolingian line lost the confidence of the powerful German dukes in East Francia. They met and elected their own king from the Conradine dynasty of Franconia.

Arnulf, Charles' heir, remained in control of a rump state between Neustria and Germany consisting of Lotharingia, Frisia, the March of Angelania, and a few odd West-Frankish counties that had not supported Robert. Arnulf had the support of the Pope and clergy throughout the crumbling empire, as well as many of the Italian secular magnates; but by then the Western Empire was as good as gone. A series of outside invasions shattered imperial control of Italy, and renewed attacks from Muslim Spain soon forced the last loyal frontier region, Aquitaine, into the Neustrian sphere of influence.

--------------------

NB: To reiterate the "physics" of this TL: the Butterflies are definitely in Effect, but they're somewhat sluggish, especially when it comes to marriages and births. So all of the emperors in the bulleted list are real in OTL: Louis the Wary is the same as Louis the Blind - he was just never blinded. Arnulf in the last paragraph, however, does not exist iOTL. He has the same name as many Carolingian kings because, well, they liked to recycle certain names.

Last edited:
A rough map of the remains of the Carolingian empire, c. 945. Kingdoms in shades of gold are still nominally loyal to Emperor Arnulf, although he is only truly in control in Francia.

Fractured Franks.PNG

Thankee! What does everyone think about Arnulf's realm (Francia on the map above)? Have I discovered the long-sought viable "middle kingdom"? The biggest challenge holding it together in the long term might be that in Angelania and Flanders it has two powerful, independent counts.