Enhanced PNGDF

With a POD after 1975, what is the largest and most capable defence force that Papua New Guinea could sustain with a funding level of 3 % of GDP.

This thread is also related to the NZDF and ADF threads, which may or may not be indicative of a potential TL ;).

For reference their current structure is as follows:

Army

The Army is approximately 1,800 soldiers organised into the following units:

• Command HQ (Port Moresby);
  • two light Infantry battalions of the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment (1 RPIR at Port Moresby and 2 RPIR at Wewak);
  • Long Range Reconnaissance Unit;
  • one Engineer battalion (Lae);
  • Signals Squadron (Port Moresby);
  • EOD unit;
  • Preventative Health Platoon; and
  • Defence Academy (Lae)

Navy

The navy consists of approximately 200 personnel and, comprises the following:

• Four Pacific class patrol boats and,
  • Three Balikpapan class landing craft.
Air Force

The Air Transport Wing (ATW) has four squadrons: operation, maintenance, training and support; with each squadron made up flights with a total strength of 125 personnel. Current aircraft include: 2 x Casa CN 235 and 2 x Bell 212s.

Papua_New_Guinea_map.png

Insider

Banned
Bump for ideas.
I think that more then on current forces disposition you should concentrate on threats and needs. Is it drug smuggling? Illegal immigrants? Military incursions from Indonesia? Does military handle non military threats in PNG? Floods, epidemics, typhoons? What else ails these lands? Perhaps if military is the prime mover and the biggest construction company in the region another engineering battalion would be handful. If recall correctly Australia and Papua NG are both in British Commonwealth so they enjoy nuclear umbrella and have alliance with each other. Am I correct?

I have to say it is the very interesting topic.

With a POD after 1975, what is the largest and most capable defence force that Papua New Guinea could sustain with a funding level of 3 % of GDP.
I think its best to cheat, simply have AUS pay for lots of ground forces to deter an aggressive Indonesia, with Australian subsidies and free equipment you can get very big with a conscript army designed to defend NG from invasion....

Well, I was thinking something along these lines.

President Kennedy maintains the number of American military personnel in South Vietnam from the Eisenhower administration (approximately 900) and, the Communists overrun South Vietnam in early 1963. In 1965 the Indonesia joins the Communist Bloc following a different 30 September, resulting in President Sukarno maintaining power due to PKI support. Sukarno's grip on power is strengthened by his invitation of Soviet 'advisers' to the archipelago. Perturbed by the large Communist neighbour on Australia's doorstep the Australian government provides limited funding and training to West Irian separatists, causing a low level bush war to break out.

Consequently, ITTL the PNGDF's primary focus is to repel or to slow down an Indonesian invasion enough, so that Australian forces could arrive in sufficient quantities to do so. My thoughts are that the current 2 infantry battalions could be augmented by a third infantry battalion (reserve), with the air component primarily focused upon improving the Army's mobility (Caribou / Huey). Notwithstanding, in this scenario it is likely that there are still Australian soldiers, sailors and airmen stationed in PNG.

Edit: @jsb , @Riain

Last edited:
There's also the possibility of PNG following the route of Fiji and having a Inf Bn in spt of UN ops around the world throughout the 70-80-90's. Hopefully you want to avoid the whole Sandlie affair in 97!

I've always like the idea of a 3rd Bn and then PNGDF forming a light/jungle brigade with all support arms and services (Arty, Eng, Sigs, Logisitics, but no armour).

Improving air mobility could become the learning ground for Australian Army aviation, and avoid the 1990 Blackhawk transition. By forming a triservice (RAAF-RAN-AAAVn) unit flying half a dozen UH-1H's in the Papua highlands, RAAF/RAN (Emu flight) can pass on Vietnam experience with eventual C2 moving to Army over 10-15 year period. Somewhere along that timeframe a cadre of PNGDF aircrew and maintainers can be developed leading to the formation of PNGDF helo sqn in late 80's, early 90's.

Strangely enough, I remember giving a presentation on the state of the PNGDF a few years ago and, the possibility of deploying their forces with the UN. However, the PNGDF needed to upgrade their communication equipment and improve their training standards, which I believe has occurred.

Your suggestion regarding the helicopter flight is sound and, the air wing could be enhanced by acquiring Hinds post 1991. Providing an air to ground capability with a secondary lift ability. Perfect for inserting long range reconnaisance patrols.

Another idea that I toyed with was the continuation of Australian servicemen continuing to serve in the PNGDF post independence. Anyway, imo there could be a very interesting story here... :).