Emberverse Omnibus Discussion Thread

Exactly what it says on the tin: Discuss the Emberverse (the series written by S M Stirling).

SPOILERS!!!

So, having read the entire series (minus the 3 short stories that he's done for someone else's anthologies), up through the most recent sample chapters for Prince of The Outcasts, I'm still a bit miffed by certain trends in the series (albeit a lot less miffed than when Rudi was running about):

1) We still learned 99% of everything we know about the Bearkillers from the two short chapters set in Larsdalen....waaaaaayyy back in TPW (Book #2 of 13, so far). Compared to the narrative juggernaut that Stirling had allowed the McKenzies to become, that's a pretty brutal short-changing for the BKs.
Even the small bits of BK-centered narrative we get are all through the lens of members of the A-List. The ruling class (we'll come back to this, below).

I'm still not sold on the idea that the entire society got behind Mike Jr, despite Eric, Will, and several other (mostly unnamed) senior A-Listers (Josh Sanders, who was Mike's #3 in the first book, but who utterly vanishes after the end of DtF....along with many other fairly important characters) being around....and despite the fact that Mike Jr was a newborn at the time. Signe borrowed some of Juniper's mind control powers.
Then they had 15 years for more A-Listers to outshine adolescent Mike Jr, and eclipse him in popularity (or simply to be backed by people who were against Signe). Nope.

2) Stirling seems to hate the very idea of internal tension within the Good Guys group. Everyone gets along, and everyone gets behind their designated Leader. Even (especially!) when that doesn't seem very likely. Decisions are made (and, we can presume, arguments are had) offscreen, and the reader is informed of the fully agreed upon decision/course of action in some kind of briefing or "as you know, Bob". Even when Mathilda has good reason to suspect Rudi of sleeping with another woman.....the very next scene has her sheepishly apologizing, with no argument shown in-between.

This is especially aggravating when Stirling simply dodges good opportunities for drama and tension.
In the latest book, Orlaith is called on the carpet by Mathilda for her disobedience in kicking off the Second Quest (helping Reiko find the Grasscutter).....despite the fact that she not only managed to achieve the objective, but added significantly to the territory of the High Kingdom.
Mathilda gives essentially no shits about successes, and treats her like an idiot, then essentially banishes her from The Court.
At this point, it would have been easy to have a confrontation between the Legal Ruler/Mother (Mathilda is still High Queen for another few years, and is Lady Protector in her own right for life) and the De Facto Ruler/Daughter (Orlaith has the Sword, which is how Rudi became High King, and is a successful field commander).
Instead, Orlaith meekly goes into social "exile" (but not really, since it's basically a fiction because Mathilda is angry)....and Stirling throws in all these dark political mutterings about how people are all playing neutral because they don't want to offend either Mathilda or Orlaith......but we know it's just filler, because Stirling isn't going to have Orlaith rebel, or Mathilda disinherit her ('cause she can't, due to the Sword). The "exile" to the country is basically an excuse to move to another plotline.

Mathilda still comes off as a hypocritical cow, and Stirling clearly wants the reader to think that Orlaith is actually in some danger of actual real-real punishment in this scene (like being imprisoned or executed or disinherited)....when there's clearly no such danger.

3) The upcoming Pacific War (Montival and Japan against the Devil-worshipping North Koreans) is......unlikely. Stirling has his characters play this all wrong.
If it was sold inside the narrative as "The Evil Powers are back, and if we don't strangle them in their cradle in Asia, we'll be under siege at home before you know it!"...then, yes, the vast expenditures of wealth and lives inherent in a transoceanic war in the Emberverse would make some kind of likely sense. That's not how Stirling has them handle it.
As it is, tens of thousands of Montivallans are going to die, and huge treasure are going to be expended, for a single casualty in a single skirmish with a small band of Koreans. "They killed Rudi!" is supposed to justify all the orphans, widows, and neglected infrastructure/progress....and, even within the narrative, it doesn't. Stirling just, again, tells us that the casual murder of the High King overrides everything (there's even a shot at the critics, when a character thinks that any people who don't go to war/murder when their symbols are desecrated have something wrong with them).
There's no "Hey, I liked High King Rudi, too....but lets not plunge the entire nation into a world war over a single man's death in a skirmish that's been over with for months!" character. Literally no visible opposition to the drive to war (or people who have interests that go in the other direction).

4) I nearly cheered when a character vetoed going to spend time with the McKenzies during Orlaith's "exile". Even Juniper's appearance was mercifully brief. That culture has really overstayed its welcome on the center stage of the narrative.

5) The Magic. I don't have an issue, unlike some, with the overt presence of magic (since it was apparent from the end of the 2nd book that this was going to be a Fantasy series of some kind). However, the portrayal of the magic is so uneven and vague that we still (13 books in) don't have any kind of real idea of what magic can do, who can do it, and how people do it.
We know that bad guys possessed by the Evil Powers can do wire-fu Wuxia, parry swords with their hands, operate for a while after fatal wounds or drowning, infect people with their body fluids, and put hypnotic spells on people (possibly without line of sight).
The Good Guys don't seem to have any analogues to most of that. 90% of the Good Guy magic has been from the various McKenzie priestesses (clairvoyance, casting sleep spells, etc) and Asatru prophecy. Pretty much everything else is bound up in the two Swords (which are basically magic nukes, if used properly).
Stirling basically uses the magic to cut his way out of a literary corner, or to short-circuit a fight scene (or to make Rudi even more insufferable). The reader can't anticipate or critique an individual use of magic within a scene, because we've been given absolutely no metric for how/why/who/what magic is used. It does whatever will move the scene along. That's not great.

6) EXTREME SPOILERS.
The way Stirling chooses to move Prince John out across the Pacific so he (we assume) can link up with King Birmo and the neo-Australians.....is gigantic bullshit. He gets pushed All The Way Across The Pacific by the storm/waves the Grasscutter generates at the end of tDatB. Wow. It's not even pretending not to be a Deus Ex Machina.

7) There's still too much "X talks to Y and Y agrees to Z action, even though the entire narrative so far would seem to make that unlikely". Juniper was the worst offender, followed by Rudi...but now it just happens with random people. The Twins manage to talk Edain out of forcing Orlaith to go back home, despite him having travelled several hundred miles on behalf of, and on the direct command of, Mathilda (who has repeatedly been highlighted as having his undying loyalty and friendship) to do that very thing. The entire exchange takes about 4 paragraphs, and about 30 seconds of "book time". Whew! For a second there, I thought there'd be some inter-hero tension!
This was even more egregious than Rudi and Sandra variously cajoling and blackmailing people into joining Montival (Rudi even expresses willingness to conduct a campaign of lies against someone who is reluctant...which is basically a huge character derail for him). Or Juniper basically waving Mathilda's captivity in Sandra's face, despite being in front of the Corvallan Senate, then simply changing the subject when someone expresses discomfort with Corvallis being asked to abet kidnapping....

8) The Desert and the Blade was probably the strongest book since The Scourge of God. A lot of stuff actually happens, and there isn't too much handwaving or Mary Sueness from the heroes (Orlaith is a lot better than Rudi, and Reiko is much better in her characterization than anyone save Tiphaine, the Twins, or Havel). There are a couple of points where I think Stirling was trying to make a shoutout or pop culture reference, but I just didn't catch what he was getting at (such as the scenes inside the cursed "castle", where Reiko recovers the Grasscutter).

9) The Haida. Their continued survival, despite being pirates, raiders, and slavers preying chiefly on Montival (one of the 4 most powerful nations on the planet), and despite their close proximity to Montival.....is just not believable. Montival, under Rudi, would have wiped them off the face of the Earth years before. No sale.

10) Everyone is a noble. Stirling, in almost all his books, prefers to write about the doings and lives of the Upper Class. In a series as long as the Emberverse is....that's not so great a decision. I'd like a POV character who is a non-A-List Bearkiller, or a Corvallan citizen, or what-have-you. Ingolf was the closest we've come to that (despite a backstory as essentially an exiled noble), and he ended up marrying into the Royal Family and becoming a weird semi-noble, semi-landowner (it's unclear how the Dunedain actually work, internally).
I had hoped the Anthology would have stuff with low-ranking Dunedain, wandering mercenary knights/squires, adventuring Vikings, or BKs who didn't make the A-List......but all we got from Stirling was a phoned-in scene with Orlaith and Heuradys wherein they prove better at police work than the police, etc. Some of the other stories contributed to it were interesting, but nothing along the lines of a Lower Decks Episode. Birmingham even recycled characters from one of his own books (!lazy!).

A weakness to this series is that, once Rudi appears, there is no other person on the side of Good who can compete with him, or who can frustrate him. There's no Churchill to his Roosevelt (or DeGaulle to his Churchhill!). Everyone either loves Rudi (and then love Orlaith), or is comfortably outranked by those who do. Montival is a unipolar State with no similarly-powerful states nearby. The series went from the original trilogy, where multiple leaders had to team up and work together to frustrate the PPA, to a story where Hero* and his followers do whatever the Hero says.

Discuss.

*-There's one rather grating scene, early on in TSL, where Rudi simply asserts his leadership of the Quest, and nobody argues (after he threatens to do it without Ingolf) or ever revisits the question. "I'm in charge because I'm in charge!". This eventually ends in Rudi arriving back in proto-Montival and assuming complete military authority, despite at least 4 characters with vastly more experience in leading large troop maneuvers.

Last edited:
What, nothing? AH-ers, you disappoint...

I do like the fact that Stirling is slowly walking back the previous concept of "everyone in <massive blank space on the map> died....everyone!" (the first instance of him doing this was when the Norheimers were stumbled across, with them being the first hint of any civilization on the East Coast). In the last few books (starting in The Given Sacrifice), we start to see a lot more pocket kingdoms either being shown (Barony of Mist Hills, Topanga, Chatsworth, Dai Nippon, etc) or mentioned (Esmereldas, Hinduraj, etc).

Internally, this works since we were dependent (outside of WoG from Stirling) on the knowledge of the POV characters and their nations. So fairly large civilizations could have been around, but unknown to the inhabitants of Oregon (or were confused for an already known location). Now that the Montivallans are heavily trading on the high seas (with ships going as far as South Asia and Australia, as well as up and down the Pacific coasts of North and South America), and connected with Iowa and Norheim (both of whom are in communication with Europe)....the map will naturally start to look a bit busier.

Externally, this just fixes the issue that "population-based" disasters (which is what does the real killing in the immediate post-Change world, knocking the human race down by >90%) can't be approximated by simply drawing a perfect radius around a major city and saying "everybody died". Refugees (and diseases, etc) are strongly controlled by terrain, road nets, geographic knowledge of the refugees, rumors ("The National Guard has food at Salem!"), and the gradient. Refugee columns almost never leave the major roads, unless forced off (and then they usually get right back on it at the first opportunity). Refugees almost never move uphill, or into forests/mountains.

Ergo, you could have a small town 30km from Atlanta that never sees a single refugee, because they are behind a line of hills and the Highways don't lead straight there. OTOH, a town could be 150km from Dallas and get overrun by thousands, because they are next to the Interstate, which increases the range of the refugees before they succumb to the elements/starvation. YMMstronglyV.

So, absent truly diabolic (i.e. the Powers don't want it) bad luck, I'd expect one or more major proto-nations (more along the lines of a weak PPA or strong Bearkillers/Corvallis) on the East Coast, most likely interior of North or South Carolina. Ft. Bragg and Ft. Jackson don't have major conurbations next door to overwhelm them before someone figures out the implications of the Change. There are also a lot of small communities with significant small-scale agriculture (including a chunk of what's left of old-timey Southern subsistence agriculture), nestled in places that are no longer easy to find or reach.

Hawaii probably comes through pretty well. Oahu is screwed, but (most of) the military population will likely survive (likely at the expense of the civilian population of Honolulu). Stirling has Hawaii make it through, in canon, though he hasn't really dropped any details.

There'd probably be a major power in western Washington State, forming out of the I Corps evacuees from Ft. Lewis. Fairchild AFB might be able to make a go of it (provided they can ride out the overflow from Spokane).

Alpine Europe (southern Germany, some Baltic islands, Switzerland/Austria) would probably have some sizeable populations surviving.

Anywhere that the local authorities (or the people who end up in authority by acclamation or force) can get on top of the situation rapidly.....has a decent chance. Ideally, you'd want a community of perhaps several hundred to the low thousands (so anywhere in size between the Mist Hills and, say, Corvallis), with some kind of geographic barrier (hills, river, distance) between it and any collapsing population centers, and with some form of working and sustainable food source (fishing, agriculture, herds). If you get very organized, very fast, and there are enough of you (without exceeding the chow supply)....you can even stand off massive refugee columns (or generate them, in the case of the PPA) with violence.

Oddly enough, I'd bet there would be little dots of "Little Americas" scattered over the globe, remnants of the US military presences extant in 1998 (in canon, we know the SETAF at Vicenza/Aviano in Italy survived, as Luke Hutton briefly shows up as a Papal military officer). Bavaria might have a blue- or green-uniformed Duke with a pronounced Georgia/California accent. Coherent groups of skilled individuals already assembled on C+1 are very likely to both survive and end up, if not directly in charge, at least heavily influencing the entire region.

Last edited:
#2 is probably the most egregious part of the whole series for me. There's no inter-character tension and any sense of drama is undercut by Stirling's perceived need to have the good guys look good and the bad guys look bad, but after the first trilogy the bad guys get progressively less and less screen time as the series goes on!

I mean what did Sethaz get? Maybe 5 chapters where he actually appears and does something significant? Getting inside his head as he formed his evil plans would have been so cool! We could see him commit some atrocities, fight in battles, use his powers to crush his enemies, and even maybe see why he followed the path that he did! Instead its just said 'because they're spooky evil' and we never get a good look at what they intend.

This just derails much of the tension. Stirling once said something to the effect of 'its boring to write about kings because its all meetings and stuff' which is why you then do politics! But Stirling can't do politics! He just seems incapable of making complex actors with shifting goals that run contrary to the main heroes! Montival would be so much more interesting if we saw resistance from the more populous PPA at having to put up with the less numerous but more influential 'kilties' and their pagan magic sword. Some kind of parliament where we could see different factions plotting to influence the monarch, or even just a look at the different noble houses and how they want to see the kingdom run!

Instead we just get 'heroes do this, everyone agrees' :rolleyes:

#3 would be far less aggravating if it was just one hero (or hero team) going on the quest and leaving Montival in the dust. Or perhaps something like Orlaith proclaims she's leaving to fight the real enemy and Mathilda angrily declares her out of the line of succession if she goes and keeps her brother at home.

Now that would be a more interesting story!

#5 The magic has never been consistent so this doesn't really bother me. I mean if it was it would be less mysterious. However, the dues ex machina nature of the magic has irked me at times.

#9 The Haida seem to still exist because Stirling couldn't be arsed enough to either give Montival a serious rival elsewhere, or he just thinks that the Haida are too cool to wipe out.

I gave up on this series I am pretty sad about that as I really liked the first books.

Can't blame you. I've really only skimmed through the most recent entries TBH. He lost me in The Lord of the Mountains when he did a half assed expy of the Battle of Gaugamela

You say it well, but you also say most of what there is to say. The initial books had a sort of mad pragmatic chaos to them and most of my interest was spent when it left.

Honestly, the whole thing would have benefitted greatly if it had been taken out of Stirling's hands after the first trilogy, or even - arguably - after the first book. I admit I became attached to some of what came after - the Norrheimers, for example, or Buddhist Wyoming - but for readability it was all downhill from adult Rudi.

Maybe someone can write an exhaustive fan fix and publish it in 75-85 years or so, once the intellectual rights get into the public domain. :rolleyes:

Basically, what the series really needed was for S. M. Stirling to be possessed by one of his Evil Powers right after sending A Meeting at Corvallis to the printers. Just so he could be forced to hand over the rights to the series (along with all his notes for TSL et al) to Joe Abercrombie or an imaginary version of George R. R. Martin that can write novels quickly.

The potential was always there. He just couldn't handle it.

Last edited:
I think it has quite a bit to do with how Stirling is visualizing this series (and accounts for the serious difference in narrative style and pacing from his previous series).

Namely, that he has a vision of a scene/event, and his feel/picture of that scene or event overrides everything. Therefore, a lot of stuff just "happens" as he connects the dots (scenes/events) with transitional passages. That's why, in a book by an author famous for his ability to construct a world and place the reader in it, with intense sensory input ("show, not tell")....we end up getting "told" a lot. Stuff just happens, often offscreen or totally unmentioned....and so things are this way (and there's no arguing, since the offscreen/nebulous sequence of events are basically a get-out-of-jail-free card).

This leads us to stuff like the Norheimers being at essentially the same level of material culture that the real Vikings were (and, consequently, quite inferior to Oregon equivalents)....despite that not making a whole lot of sense, and being very specific.....
They fell just far enough to not look like 19th Century Americans with Asatru trappings. Period armor, period weapons, period clothing, period architecture, etc. Even Hollywood period speech (among the Changelings who had never seen a Viking movie....).
As opposed to using sabers or katanas or longswords, or transitional armor rather than straight mail. Or wearing 19th/20th century clothing, rather than Vikingfest clothing.
They fell back precisely far enough to look like Vikings.

Now, the truly insidious thing for Stirling to do (if he ever gets around to writing the Eric The Strong book about the proto-Norheimers surviving the Change) would be to reveal that Eric was just such a Period Nazi bastard that he intentionally hamstringed anything more "modern" than his chosen Period.

Moving on, we never actually see how these societies go from A to C/D. The McKenzies go from a few dozen people (and the most coherent community in the local area, leading the recovery and anti-PPA efforts), to totally hegemonizing (politically, militarily, culturally, and religiously) the region...in less than 8 years. IIRC, the McKenzie population is 10,000 or so, by CY 8 (and 60,000 or so by the time the CUT War happens, 12 years later). Never is it even mentioned as to how that happens.

Ditto with the (perennially ignored) Bearkillers. Mike and his band (a few dozen A-Listers and maybe a couple hundred others) move into the Larsdalen area......and 8 years later, there are at least 10,000 Bearkillers (given that there's a couple hundred A-Listers and militia units hundreds-strong).

Obviously, both Mike and Juniper managed to defeat/absorb any competitor group in their area....to the point where those groups aren't even mentioned a decade later.
It'd have been nice if the time jump didn't include the most critical period in the formation of the Meeting States (the leap from the initial core group focused on surviving the Winter of 98/99 to a proto-nation).

Of course, the picture of Mike and Juniper as nice people might have suffered, if we got to see how the sausage was made (Havel not being able to afford to let that small hamlet stay independent, since it controls blah-blah road....or Wiccan children excluding Christian/Other kids until they want to Convert to be part of the "in crowd/cool kids", putting pressure on their parents, etc). Even Rudi came in for a bit of a blackening, when we were treated to his monologue about how the reluctant Corvallan banker almost certainly would never make a deal with the CUT....but it might be useful if the story was spread about that he was....which was a bit of a character derailment for Rudi.

Also, did anyone else notice that nobody in DtF ever wonders about their missing relatives? Other than Rudi's namesake (and Luke Hutton) being mentioned (dead and in Europe, respectively), nobody (internally or out loud) wonders how Mom & Dad or their siblings are doing. Havel had a couple of brothers, IIRC, and Juniper's mom and dad, etc. Yeah, most likely they died hard.....but the characters never wonder about them, despite mentioning them in their backstories. The characters in Stirling's other books (ISOT, Conquistador, etc) are also prone to this (Marion Alston had two children, for instance....who are forgotten about as soon as they get mentioned).

I do hope we get a good look at Norheim in CY 46-ish. Stirling indicated they were going to seriously expand (post-CUT War) out west, to the Great Lakes and Ontario region.

Last edited:
I think it has quite a bit to do with how Stirling is visualizing this series (and accounts for the serious difference in narrative style and pacing from his previous series).

Namely, that he has a vision of a scene/event, and his feel/picture of that scene or event overrides everything. Therefore, a lot of stuff just "happens" as he connects the dots (scenes/events) with transitional passages. That's why, in a book by an author famous for his ability to construct a world and place the reader in it, with intense sensory input ("show, not tell")....we end up getting "told" a lot. Stuff just happens, often offscreen or totally unmentioned....and so things are this way (and there's no arguing, since the offscreen/nebulous sequence of events are basically a get-out-of-jail-free card).

To be fair, most of Stirlings work has been an exercise in world building with characters attached along for the ride (Conquistador is really guilty of this). Now normally this isn't a huge problem as it presents an interesting world with a decent pulpy story with some characters you can invest in.

Emberverse started off in the same vein, and the first three novels were actually good for focusing on the core world building and the decent characters to drive it.

Then it jumps off the rails as the series expands and this quest line becomes a really painful derivative of Arthurian/great mythic hero legend almost to a T with no surprises making it painfully predictable to even the average reader.

This leads us to stuff like the Norheimers being at essentially the same level of material culture that the real Vikings were (and, consequently, quite inferior to Oregon equivalents)....despite that not making a whole lot of sense, and being very specific.....
They fell just far enough to not look like 19th Century Americans with Asatru trappings. Period armor, period weapons, period clothing, period architecture, etc. Even Hollywood period speech (among the Changelings who had never seen a Viking movie....).
As opposed to using sabers or katanas or longswords, or transitional armor rather than straight mail. Or wearing 19th/20th century clothing, rather than Vikingfest clothing.
They fell back precisely far enough to look like Vikings.

In my opinion the Norheimers were probably the most boring group to read about. They were literally carbon copies of what a typical Westerner would expect a Viking to look like, without any regional flare or peculiar quirks.

Except skiing.

Moving on, we never actually see how these societies go from A to C/D. The McKenzies go from a few dozen people (and the most coherent community in the local area, leading the recovery and anti-PPA efforts), to totally hegemonizing (politically, militarily, culturally, and religiously) the region...in less than 8 years. IIRC, the McKenzie population is 10,000 or so, by CY 8 (and 60,000 or so by the time the CUT War happens, 12 years later). Never is it even mentioned as to how that happens.

The Mackenzie expansion is basically authorial fiat. There is no reasonable explanation for how it could be organic in under a generation. I mean I can sort of buy the argument that some communities from the trauma of the Change would be willing to abandon former beliefs for the successful looking whacky antics of Juniper and her band, but for it to spread amongst those populations so rapidly? It would take generations!

Ditto with the (perennially ignored) Bearkillers. Mike and his band (a few dozen A-Listers and maybe a couple hundred others) move into the Larsdalen area......and 8 years later, there are at least 10,000 Bearkillers (given that there's a couple hundred A-Listers and militia units hundreds-strong).

The Bearkillers should have been relatively easy to explain. They are a familiar cultural group with familiar ideals who don't expect too much in terms of service, and are not so fundamentally alien as the Mackenzies.

They should have been able to spread out rapidly absorbing the local well to do into their military tradition and their more organized offers of military service and protection would have been far easier to take root than the outlandish Mackenzie longbowmen (whose eternal overpowered BS irked me). Their more practical outlook, much more self-evident religious freedom, and seeming more American ought to have done them loads of favors. They should have been second only to the PPA in size and manpower.

It'd have been nice if the time jump didn't include the most critical period in the formation of the Meeting States (the leap from the initial core group focused on surviving the Winter of 98/99 to a proto-nation).

The Protectors War could have waited for a while as we watched the suffering of the first brutal winter and the slow absorption of surrounding communities and the nations eventually coalescing into a recognizable patchwork which had rivalries and fear of a common enemy.

Of course, the picture of Mike and Juniper as nice people might have suffered, if we got to see how the sausage was made (Havel not being able to afford to let that small hamlet stay independent, since it controls blah-blah road....or Wiccan children excluding Christian/Other kids until they want to Convert to be part of the "in crowd/cool kids", putting pressure on their parents, etc).

Mike always had room to look like a hardass in political terms (which would not have detracted from his characterization at all) who would be willing to crush an independent community versus letting them fall to the Protectorate. That would have added to his mystique as the Bear Lord and made the Bearkillers much more interesting to read about.

Doing this with the Mackenzies would have been much more challenging. We could have had Junipers' sheer force of personality better shown off, or we could have seen their efforts at cultural exportation be rebuffed. A much more interesting story would have been the Mackenzies seen as a bunch of whackos out in the woods who are useful, but potentially dangerous and unreliable. This lets the Mackenzies remain the underdogs and allow Juniper to show her force of personality more, while her personal relationship with Mike allows him to play advocate for the Mackenzies to the other nations who see them as weirdos (maybe letting Juniper play a sort of Cassandra for the PPA's looming threat). The Mackenzies would remain small population wise while the Bearkillers absorb most of the communities surrounding them since they are more familiar to those people (the books Mackenzie expansion really was just authorial fiat/pandering) and so when the Mackenzies and their longbows go to war they are 'elite' in the eyes of the other nations, but every loss for the Mackenzies is more tragic since there's fewer of them.

Then there remains the continuous political and personal friction as Singe detests Juniper for sleeping with her husband and bearing his bastard, while the Mackenzies are well meaning but begrudge the losses they've taken fighting the PPA while Corvallan bankers dangle loans and debt over their heads.

Even Rudi came in for a bit of a blackening, when we were treated to his monologue about how the reluctant Corvallan banker almost certainly would never make a deal with the CUT....but it might be useful if the story was spread about that he was....which was a bit of a character derailment for Rudi.

To be fair, Rudi didn't even have much of a character to derail anyways. He was always just a bland hero archetype empty vessel to be bent how the plot needed him to be.

If he had actually had character he might have been more disgruntled with his gods for jerking him around without enough clear hints at where he was going, his specialness making him ostracized amongst many of his peers, and his bastard heritage making him disliked by some of the elite (maybe something cool could happen and Singe covertly tries to have him assassinated sometime?).

-----

As a side note, did anyone else notice how Eilir just falls off the face of the earth to make way for Rudi? Is she even mentioned after the first trilogy?

You guys hate these books an awful lot to continue to be fascinated by them. :p

It's like the One Ring you see :p

But in all seriousness I think many fans have just been disappointed by the direction the books took, and in particular that awful character that was Rudi. The first three books are excellent, but what tends to make people angry I've noticed is the squandered potential.

It's like the One Ring you see :p

But in all seriousness I think many fans have just been disappointed by the direction the books took, and in particular that awful character that was Rudi. The first three books are excellent, but what tends to make people angry I've noticed is the squandered potential.

Its a shame we never got more of the Island in the Sea of Time, which I think had a lot more long-term potential than Dies the Fire ever did...

teg

Note: I really like the Emberverse series. I buy every single book that comes out, the day it comes out. Stirling is literally the last author I still buy in hardback. I critique the hell out of the books, because I'm interested in the world Stirling has made, and he's never been shy about taking criticism or explaining something that didn't come across clearly on-page.

On to the bitching:

The problem Stirling drops us into with the longbows (read: McKenzies, who have other Mary Sue/Can't Argue With Elves problems, as well) is that he gives them every historical runaway victory....but none of the fuckups, minimal effects, and poor showings that they also historically suffered. It's all Agincourt, all Crecy, all the time. No Patay (longbowmen get caught before they can dig in, and overrun), no Flodden (where the massive English arrow storm caused minimal injuries to the armored Scots), no Burgundy (where English longbowmen were hired in massive numbers, for years, but really had no decisive contribution).

Stirling essentially lets the McKenzie longbow units decide entire battles due to magic or accident that allows them to force the enemy to reenact the infamous French suicide-assaults at Agincourt and Crecy....despite the fact that the PPA (the enemy in question) should both be very aware of the historical parameters where heavy cavalry lost to longbowmen AND has no such need to try and push home a cavalry assault (or really an Infantry assault, either) into the teeth of a prepared defense covered by longbows.

There's a passage right before the last great PPA suicide charge where it seems to imply that Juniper ensorceled Lord Emiliano (previously established as a cool and level-headed gang leader-cum-Baron who seeks to fully grasp the new ways of doing things) into basically losing his composure and ordering a charge.

There's one big incident where the McKenzie longbow column is marching along and manages to accidentally be in a great ambush position for a major PPA cavalry unit.

The PPA is run by a guy who might be a Period Nazi for the 11th-13th Centuries....but he is also very savvy in general historical terms. The idea that he let his army be led by men who hadn't grasped the historically stormy relationship between longbows in defense and cavalry in the offense...is just Idiot Ball territory. Norman and his subordinate leaders get stupid at exactly the worst time, while the Good Guys never get stupid at all (well....Havel and Juniper do stupid stuff all the time, but the Story would have you believe it isn't stupid).

The PPA isn't anything like the late Mediaeval French military. It's a fairly well-integrated combined arms force, with both Light and Heavy Cavalry, supported by field artillery the like of which the French didn't see until the mid 18th Century (post-Change catapults and light artillery are pretty much as awesome as you can get without gunpowder, and leave OTL pre-Gundpower weapons in the dust). The PPA should wipe the floor with any defense that leans on Longbows...since rapid-firing artillery can place accurate incendiery and roundshot fire on them from over twice as far as the longbow can reach, and Light cavalry would be able to flank any position not covered by sheer cliffs or deep rivers. But, no, they forget* they have these, and just charge in.

That's leaving aside the fact that the French army at Agincourt had....issues, to begin with. For instance, half the people on the field were convinced that they outranked the actual commander of the Vanguard (Marshal Boucicaut), and the French didn't actually consider anyone on the English side of the field who wasn't a Knight an actual participant. Archers, etc, weren't worth worrying about. Between half and 2/3rds of the French army didn't even fight (thousands of archers and crossbowmen, etc). The French also stuffed so many men-at-arms onto the field ('cause no gentleman rides the bench!) that they caused their side of the battlefield to be overcrowded.

Longbows, oddly enough, rather than being the "mediaeval machinegun" that a lot of people can't stop repeating (including Stirling, who has the longbow constantly performing at the highest end of it's possible estimated capabilities, which is unlikely for a lot of reasons)....are more like modern infantrymen. Dug in, in prepared positions (and English longbowmen regulaly prepared positions that looked like something from the Western
Front), they can savage anything that comes at them (for a while). Out in the open, in a battle of maneuver, chances are that they get smashed.

Note that I don't have any issue with the arrows from a longbow smashing down armored PPA knights....at least in the Protector's War. Mail armor, even really good versions, just can't stand up to that sort of force (with short-configuration bodkin points, even brigandine wouldn't stop it). Now, after the post-War PPA switches to Plate armor, often cap-a-pie, the longbow loses a lot of it's killing power (for knights and men-at-arms with full plate sets, anyhow). Modern high-strength carbon steel isn't like the stuff they were rolling around in during the 1500's. The average PPA man-at-arms is going to be rocking plate that can shed any arrow that any longbow can shoot. You either get them in the gaps (which, by design, are pretty small) or knock their horse down on them.

Oh, and the longbowmen get to become victims of their own success, as their positions get worked over by field artillery from well beyond their range.

*-Stirling has people act like Mediaeval inhabitants of the model cultures.....but only when he wants them to. In all other cases, they are
essentially 21st Century Americans with funny clothes. It's like code-switching (Anthopology 101)....but you shouldn't see than in any homogenous
culture. Associates should act like people who live in the PPA....not reverting to 15th Century French nobles whenever the story requires it, but
talking like 19th Century magnates when the story requires it a bit later.
Sandra, for example, is frequently said to have to rule with one eye towards not irritating the Barons......except when the story needs it, and then she rules like an Absolute Monarch (to include the open secret that she has D'Ath extra-legally murder nobles). Stirling tries to have it both ways, and sort of hopes the reader doesn't notice.

Last edited:
To be fair, most of Stirlings work has been an exercise in world building with characters attached along for the ride (Conquistador is really guilty of this). Now normally this isn't a huge problem as it presents an interesting world with a decent pulpy story with some characters you can invest in.

Emberverse started off in the same vein, and the first three novels were actually good for focusing on the core world building and the decent characters to drive it.

Then it jumps off the rails as the series expands and this quest line becomes a really painful derivative of Arthurian/great mythic hero legend almost to a T with no surprises making it painfully predictable to even the average reader.

Well I think the first book stood head and shoulders above the rest of the trilogy, but yes, I agree.

The first books also seemed to leave open a lot of interesting personal dynamics and applications of that world-building that never came to fruit. The personal conflicts basically just worked out and became Turtledovian dialogue fall-backs. And the wasted world-building.... When you make a huge point of lovingly describing Chekhov's castles, you owe your readers a proper siege battle.

*snip*

The Mackenzie expansion is basically authorial fiat. There is no reasonable explanation for how it could be organic in under a generation. I mean I can sort of buy the argument that some communities from the trauma of the Change would be willing to abandon former beliefs for the successful looking whacky antics of Juniper and her band, but for it to spread amongst those populations so rapidly? It would take generations!

The Bearkillers should have been relatively easy to explain. They are a familiar cultural group with familiar ideals who don't expect too much in terms of service, and are not so fundamentally alien as the Mackenzies.

They should have been able to spread out rapidly absorbing the local well to do into their military tradition and their more organized offers of military service and protection would have been far easier to take root than the outlandish Mackenzie longbowmen (whose eternal overpowered BS irked me). Their more practical outlook, much more self-evident religious freedom, and seeming more American ought to have done them loads of favors. They should have been second only to the PPA in size and manpower.

The Protectors War could have waited for a while as we watched the suffering of the first brutal winter and the slow absorption of surrounding communities and the nations eventually coalescing into a recognizable patchwork which had rivalries and fear of a common enemy.

Mike always had room to look like a hardass in political terms (which would not have detracted from his characterization at all) who would be willing to crush an independent community versus letting them fall to the Protectorate. That would have added to his mystique as the Bear Lord and made the Bearkillers much more interesting to read about.

Doing this with the Mackenzies would have been much more challenging. We could have had Junipers' sheer force of personality better shown off, or we could have seen their efforts at cultural exportation be rebuffed. A much more interesting story would have been the Mackenzies seen as a bunch of whackos out in the woods who are useful, but potentially dangerous and unreliable. This lets the Mackenzies remain the underdogs and allow Juniper to show her force of personality more, while her personal relationship with Mike allows him to play advocate for the Mackenzies to the other nations who see them as weirdos (maybe letting Juniper play a sort of Cassandra for the PPA's looming threat). The Mackenzies would remain small population wise while the Bearkillers absorb most of the communities surrounding them since they are more familiar to those people (the books Mackenzie expansion really was just authorial fiat/pandering) and so when the Mackenzies and their longbows go to war they are 'elite' in the eyes of the other nations, but every loss for the Mackenzies is more tragic since there's fewer of them.

Then there remains the continuous political and personal friction as Singe detests Juniper for sleeping with her husband and bearing his bastard, while the Mackenzies are well meaning but begrudge the losses they've taken fighting the PPA while Corvallan bankers dangle loans and debt over their heads.

I've thought of doing fan fiction about a crypto-Christian in the first change year hiding from the dying and violence of the fall among the MacKenzies. I could see someone convinced that they and their children would be first in line to be kicked out if food fell short if they spoke a word against non-Christians. Watching as the school bus kids, and then their own begin taking on Wiccan and pseudo-Celtic tics, then converting against whispered arguments. Traumatized by the violence in most of the Willamette Valley, trying to out-MacKenzie the MacKenzies to ingratiate their family into a community with reliable food....

To be fair, Rudi didn't even have much of a character to derail anyways. He was always just a bland hero archetype empty vessel to be bent how the plot needed him to be.

If he had actually had character he might have been more disgruntled with his gods for jerking him around without enough clear hints at where he was going, his specialness making him ostracized amongst many of his peers, and his bastard heritage making him disliked by some of the elite (maybe something cool could happen and Singe covertly tries to have him assassinated sometime?).

Maybe, though there are a lot of good non-assassination machinations out there.

As a side note, did anyone else notice how Eilir just falls off the face of the earth to make way for Rudi? Is she even mentioned after the first trilogy?

Quite.

Well I think the first book stood head and shoulders above the rest of the trilogy, but yes, I agree.

That is fair to say. It was the most engaging at any rate. Though The Protectors War was interesting from its narrative style and A Meeting at Corvallis probably had the best battle scenes in the series before the fighting at Pendleton in the next books.

The first books also seemed to leave open a lot of interesting personal dynamics and applications of that world-building that never came to fruit. The personal conflicts basically just worked out and became Turtledovian dialogue fall-backs. And the wasted world-building.... When you make a huge point of lovingly describing Chekhov's castles, you owe your readers a proper siege battle.

Agreed. I for one was super pissed when we never got a big detailed siege taking place :mad: In a medieval world you'd think that would be something to write about!

I've thought of doing fan fiction about a crypto-Christian in the first change year hiding from the dying and violence of the fall among the MacKenzies. I could see someone convinced that they and their children would be first in line to be kicked out if food fell short if they spoke a word against non-Christians. Watching as the school bus kids, and then their own begin taking on Wiccan and pseudo-Celtic tics, then converting against whispered arguments. Traumatized by the violence in most of the Willamette Valley, trying to out-MacKenzie the MacKenzies to ingratiate their family into a community with reliable food....

That's a really cool idea actually!

Maybe, though there are a lot of good non-assassination machinations out there.

True but Stirling tends to lack the subtlety for that I've noticed :p

I always liked her so when she just went poof I was quite sad.

Shoot, I didn't know this thread existed or I would have popper in earlier.

1) I thought the Bearkillers were a really cool society. Norman feudalism crossed with modern military efficiency, plenty of interesting characters...and then the characters fall off the map. Honestly my biggest peeve is how something like a third of the population becomes Neopagans overnight, with not a single fucking explanation why. Stirling loves his Neopagans, I guess.

Another criminally underused nation was CORA, who after getting every last bit of their already-low infrastructure worked over in the CUT War aren't mentioned in the slightest later on. We have no idea how they recovered, same for most of the far west. I'd love to hear about the work that went into rooting out CUT diehards in Montana and Wyoming.

2) Totally agree. There should be constant bickering, first on the grounds that in every medieval society there's no such thing as pro bono, every vassal needs a stake in the greater scheme if they want to be trusted. Marriage alliances, trade deals, fosterings, ect. ect. should be haggled over constantly. And that's not even getting started on the ideological differences everyone's going to have. Crovallis and Boise's democracy, the PPA and the Bearkiller's feudalism, the Mackenzies effective cult of personality, all of these are going to have fundamental differences meshing into a unified government without some degree of change to the individual societies.

3) I still haven't gotten around to reading the most recent book because of RL distractions, but from what it sounds like the Trans-Pacific war should be, at best, a small all-volunteer expeditionary force. Even if there are plenty of people who miss Rudi enough to go to war across the biggest ocean on the planet for him, there's no reason to impose the fucking draft.

And speaking of which, was Rudi really that great of a king? Like...he defeated the CUT. Okay, that was inevitable given the sheer numbers that were being brought to bear from all sides. I guess he used his amazing personality to bring together the alliance, then killed Sethaz with his magic sword, but after that?

We know he kept the peace and was a "good king", but what did he really do? How did he handle the reconstruction, which as I mentioned was completely glossed over? Did he renovate the road system? What were his tax and trade policies? Diplomacy? How did he handle these vaguely unruly vassals we keep hearing about but never see in action? Ect. ect.

Aside from winning a big war and keeping things quiet for twelve years or so, it doesn't sound like he really did anything.

4) I don't like the Mackenzies. Or any of the Neopagans, honestly. I find them forced. I might be biased, but I think after a certain point he's cramming them in to fulfill some personal interest of his own. After the fourth flavor, it got predictable. And, like...why did the Dunedain end up mostly Neopagans with Tolkeinian trappings? Why not a Church of Eru Illuvatar? Surely there are some Christian Dunedian. Or maybe give them some wholly new traditions, like the reverent Deism that seems to be the default attitude in the original books.

5) Speaking of Neopagans, why are they the only ones that get magic? Ignatius (another really cool character) got a moment or two, but I want to see Christian priests casting out demons in the name of the LORD.

6) Huh. I think I'll have to read the latest book.

7) Yeah, this is another case of certain protagonists using sheer force of bland personality to get what they want. Okay, maybe Juniper wasn't bland, but at the very least as the series goes on she gets away with more shit than she should.

8) Still need to read that.

9) Oh, yeah, failing to subdue the Haida, another failure of the Artos Administration.

10) I really would have liked to see some peasant levy or cowboy retainer point of views. I mean, it's hard to tell a political story without political actors, but with a huge vast setting ripe for worldbuilding you can get away with a lot. More of Ingolf's band of salvagers, for instance, they were cool.

Well, there has been a call to arms on "The Bearkillers" FB group to promote more Bearkillers fanfics.

1) I thought the Bearkillers were a really cool society. Norman feudalism crossed with modern military efficiency, plenty of interesting characters...and then the characters fall off the map. Honestly my biggest peeve is how something like a third of the population becomes Neopagans overnight, with not a single fucking explanation why. Stirling loves his Neopagans, I guess.

Well, more like 10+ years rather than overnight. The problem being tied to the first point that we have not seen a lot of the Bearkillers besides showing up now and then to be badasses. The Bearkillers FB group is working on expanding the society and whatnot on the Bearkillers. The group's founder has a "Red Book of Larsdalen" project going on to fill in the background info from how Bearkiller military hamlets are constructed to basic economic structure.

Well, there has been a call to arms on "The Bearkillers" FB group to promote more Bearkillers fanfics.

Are any of them explore the fact that Mike Senior lied about his military service?

Stirling didn't understand how the Marine's Force Recon was set up when he wrote that character's background so to any one who did know those details Mike's claims are clearly untrue. Seeing how later books talk about other Marine Corps veterans joining the Bearkillers that should cause some interesting internal tension.