Eisen, Blut und Fernhandel -German Unification in the 1860s

Erstens: Mein Beileid, für eine verlorene Woche.

Second: Yay Update :D!

And a nice parade example on the working of mass media and propaganda on both sides. The wished for nice and clean border got realy interesting...

Could we see a population exchange in some way to clean up some chunkes? Like this village of 15 goes here and this of 23 goes back to Germany...?

Deimos

Banned
In light of your update and your personal situation I was reminded of this:

"Y penser toujours, n'en parler jamais."

Tyr Anazasi

Banned
What I heard here Calbear is the real racist. I demand his banning, at least his removal as moderator, as he is unable to use his powers in an acceptable manner.

Beer

Banned
What I heard here Calbear is the real racist. I demand his banning, at least his removal as moderator, as he is unable to use his powers in an acceptable manner.
Hi!

@all

Thank you for the uplifting words! You readers are the only reason I still use my freetime for writing here. I was seriously considering to stop, but that would be punishing you for the deeds of one person.

@Tyr
I PMed Ian early on that I was wrongly kicked, but to this day I did not get an answer. Calbear should be removed as moderator, but I doubt it will happen. If you do not start to wank off after coming across a Union Jack or Star-spangled Banner, you are just tolerated here, it seems.

Hi!

@all

Thank you for the uplifting words! You readers are the only reason I still use my freetime for writing here. I was seriously considering to stop, but that would be punishing you for the deeds of one person.

@Tyr
I PMed Ian early on that I was wrongly kicked, but to this day I did not get an answer. Calbear should be removed as moderator, but I doubt it will happen. If you do not start to wank off after coming across a Union Jack or Star-spangled Banner, you are just tolerated here, it seems.

I have reported CalBear's post. The level of bigotry he showed and anti-Japanese recism is unacceptable.

I have reported CalBear's post. The level of bigotry he showed and anti-Japanese recism is unacceptable.
Can you link me the post so I can also report it? After all 2 reports are better than one exspecially if the person who's being reported is an mod after all.

Beer

Banned
Can you link me the post so I can also report it? After all 2 reports are better than one exspecially if the person who's being reported is an mod after all.
Hi Derekc2!

No problem! Here is the link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=342193&page=11

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page. While my post could have been better worded, English is not my native tongue and I was mad about "Life in Blacks" insinuations.

Thank you and Bye!

Oh, I´ve been ninja´ed by Bosemacher! :) By the way, a big thank you to you as well!

Last edited:
Wow, if he wasn't a mod he probably would get kicked/banned for that comment by a mod/Ian. That is so wrong to state every japanese soilder is an war criminal it's insane. Most soilders are not war criminals. The majority of soilders have always been victims of their own officers and state. Exspecially during an draft.

Beer

Banned
Wow, if he wasn't a mod he probably would get kicked/banned for that comment by a mod/Ian. That is so wrong to state every japanese soilder is an war criminal it's insane. Most soilders are not war criminals. The majority of soilders have always been victims of their own officers and state. Exspecially during an draft.
Hi!

Quite right! The normal soldier does his duty, which is a problematic one at best in the case of war.
And going by his comment on the Japanese soldiers the way he worded it on the German soldiers, Calbear considers them all war criminals as well, the implication is clear. How could such a guy become and stay moderator? I am not the first AH user kicked or banned by Calbear for simply not having the same opinion as he does.

Deimos

Banned
I understand why you are upset, Beer and I believe you were not intending to say what others might have misunderstood. However, before the animosity reaches a critical state I would like to play advocatus diaboli in regard to the linked post of CalBear.

If I were to go simply by what I see from you, Beer, in that particular quote you can be (mis-)understood as donwplaying war crimes by limiting them to actions committed by individuals.
CalBear's point is not exactly about every Axis soldier being a war criminal but about the institutionalisation of war crimes in the Axis and thus their scale. Note how "All Japanese" and "Heer troops" as designators for Axis soldiers are both linked via appropriate grammar to very real and very tragic affairs and these affairs also serve to somewhat limit the scope. He is not saying that every Japanese soldier used the disgustingly termed "comfort women" and he is using the "Heer troops" not to defame individual troopers but as a shorthand to describe the different unit types that historically lended the Einsatzgruppen a hand or or carried out the "Commissar Order". He is also pointing out how the upper chains of command are complicit in these crimes.

From that perspective Calbear's argument seems to be that from you, Beer, there is no indication of portraying the war crimes of the Axis as an intrinsic problems of Imperial Japan and the Third Reich that can be found at an institutional level and that you are therefore mistakenly obfuscating the genocidal nature of the regimes by limiting the war crimes to indicidual responsibility.

This is enough sophistry from me at this hour and the above is only my conjecture as to how the argument would go. Please understand that I will not delve further into this discussion.

For all its worth I also reported the post for racism and simply ridiculousness. Oy... And Deimos if one even capitalizes the word EVERY like CB did, it sure seems beer is correct.

First: Interesting update! With so many French and Germans living on the other side of the border, it is a good chance for cooperation between the two states.

Second: I just read Calbears post and understand that you are mad. You argued logically (on a difficult subject) and got insulted and punished for it. Seems like abuse of power to me too.

I am glad that you keep writing for us. I enjoy your TL very much.:)

Concerning the issue of enclaves; shouldn't the preparations for the plebiscite have made such an outcome inpossible, e.g. by a mediator solving the line of demarcation where necessary?

Post-medieval enclaves have been seem as a problematic and un-modern Institution. I am not sure if late 19th century Germany and France can stand all the necessary Moderation and complications going along with such a high number of enclaves along one of the "hottest" borders in Europe.

The outcome, however, is interesting. I have long been convinced that OTL, the Empire should have "risked" a plebiscite after 1900.

Beer

Banned
Hi!

@Hörnla

The chapter is only about the plebiscite and it´s result. What comes after, mediation, conflict, stasis, will be seen in coming chapters.:)

@all
Here is a map of the post plebiscite border. In the left bottom is an OTL map with the language border.

Elsass-Lothringen1888ATLa.jpg