Economy of congress Poland prior to WWI relative to the rest of Imperial Russia

yboxman

Banned
I've read in several places the Vistula Province/ Congress Poland was amongst the most industrialized (albeit mostly light industry), advanced and productive regions of imperial Russia- but I have no exact figures. Does anyone have the regional figures for any timepoint in the 1897-1914 period?

I do not have much, but here we go:
Prouction of the Congress Poland in 1900 was worth 600 milions rubels, in 1910 860 milions. More than half of it was export to Russia, mostly textile goods (worth 226 milions in 1900, 349 milions in 1910), and metal products.
Most developed was textile industry - in 1900 about 44% workers were employed there. Polish textile goods dominated the market in Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania (all parts of the Russian Empire).
The main industrial regions were: Łódź (mostly textile industry); Zagłębie Dąbrowskie (metal and chemical industry, foundries); Warsaw (metal industry)
In 1913 the domestic product per capita was worth about 63 today USD (comparing to 44 in Russia).
Source: "Historia gospodarcza Polski" by Andrzej Jezierski and Cecylia Leszczyńska, Warsaw 2003.
Could you be more specific about data you need?

Last edited:

yboxman

Banned
I do not have much, but here we go:
Prouction of the Congress Poland in 1900 was worth 600 milions rubels, in 1910 860 milions. More than half of it was export to Russia, mostly textile goods (worth 226 milions in 1900, 349 milions in 1910), and metal products.
Most developed was textile industry - in 1900 about 44% workers were employed there. Polish textile goods dominated the market in Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania (all parts of the Russian Empire).
The main industrial regions were: Łódź (mostly textile industry); Zagłębie Dąbrowskie (metal and chemical industry, foundries); Warsaw (metal industry)
In 1913 the domestic product per capita was worth about 63 today USD (comparing to 44 in Russia).
Source: "Historia gospodarcza Polski" by Andrzej Jezierski and Cecylia Leszczyńska, Warsaw 2003.
Could you be more specific about data you need?

Actually, that was exactly what I needed. Actually thought the GDP per capita was even higher compared to Russia proper. Thanks!

You're welcome. In early 1900s Russia started industrializing quite quickly, and Congress Poland had a problem with overproduction and serious crisis; perhaps that is the reason for not so large difference between Congress Poland and Russian Empire; also I'm not sure if the GDP per capita for Russia does not include GDP of the Congress Poland (which, at the time was a part of Russian Empire), which might make number for Russia as a whole a little higher.