Economic viability of Czechoslovakia without Sudetenland

The Sudetenland contained significant industry and resources. How would the Czechoslovak economy be impacted by its loss?

The Sudetenland contained significant industry and resources. How would the Czechoslovak economy be impacted by its loss?
Probably it still could function after some adjustment quite well if situation in Europe stayed stabile. After all most of the factories of Skoda, Tatra, CKD or ZB were in not annexed territories I believe. But was totaly undefensible. Basically after Munich country started to fall under heavy German influence. of course effect would be felt. Sudetland had mostly ligh industry orientated for export. For example sale out of heavy guns to Germany was done before occupation - no need for them anymore. If Hitler stopped with Sudetland and indeed quaranteed Czechoslovak independence country would be heavily influenced by Berlin without occupation.

But was totaly undefensible.

Would it have been defensible if, sometime before 1938, Czechoslovakia had built fortifications not only along its border with Germany, but also along Bohemia-Moravia's border with the Sudetenland, as a contingency set of fortifications to remain under Czechoslovak control in the event of Czechoslovakia being forced to cede the Sudetenland to Germany?

Would it have been defensible if, sometime before 1938, Czechoslovakia had built fortifications not only along its border with Germany, but also along Bohemia-Moravia's border with the Sudetenland, as a contingency set of fortifications to remain under Czechoslovak control in the event of Czechoslovakia being forced to cede the Sudetenland to Germany?

Horrid tiny red font... You mean fortifications on flatter terrain instead of mountains, protected by fewer forces, enclosing a very small area and therefore vulnerable even to small, localized breakthroughs... just look how thin Czechoslovakia was near Brno after Munich.

Anyway, I'm primarily interested in economic matters, especially how important the Sudetenland would have been to protect Czechoslovakia from German economic pressure.

Last edited:

No it would not. Czechoslovakia was encircled by Germany; without the mountains of Sudetenland as a "natural barrier" it was helpless due to the long border.

Would the many Czechs still in the Sudetenland be allowed to send money home? Or are they smart enough to high tail it before the enslavement started? And funny thing. Apparently those people living in Bohemia-Moravia were deemed racially superior by proportion versus those in the Sudetenland.

The reason the Czech fortifications were an issue was because they were well placed in the mountains. Wouldn't have worked further into Bohemia.

After Sudetland was gone it was app. 2 h ride from south to north to get from Germany to Germany. I don§t see it plausible. Also the expense would be to much.

Faeelin

Banned
The reason the Czech fortifications were an issue was because they were well placed in the mountains. Wouldn't have worked further into Bohemia.

Which is only a problem if Germany is a militaristic warmonger, mind. During the 1930s, the Sudetenland wasn't that important economically; it had primarily light industries.

Anyway, I'm primarily interested in economic matters, especially how important the Sudetenland would have been to protect Czechoslovakia from German economic pressure.
Germany was important trading partner already before. After Sudetland gone Czechoslovakia already was under German economic pressure.

Maybe comparing Hungarian, Romania and maybe Slovak economy during WWII would help. Romania and Hungary tried to support their won Armies from own resources but still exported to Germany oil, food stuff and others. Slovakia built its relative economic success on trade with Germany and neutral states and did relatively good especially if comparing with its neighbors. However as war continue shortages of materials were more and more visible and took its toll.

All above mentioned countries were under German economic pressure. Same goes for Yugoslavia before occupation. Germany was their most important trading partner. Years ago I had book from library on German economical and political ties/ influence in Balkan shortly before war and during it. Interesting reading however it was some 15-20 years ago I red it.

Which is only a problem if Germany is a militaristic warmonger, mind. During the 1930s, the Sudetenland wasn't that important economically; it had primarily light industries.
It was important before Economic crisis hit. It's industry was orientated on export especially to Germany. With Germany in economic mess jobs were lost and local German population was radicalized.

However as you said it was predominately light industry. What was lost there could be easily manufactured in some others factories in rump Czechoslovakia. But still with Sudetland gone German economic pressure/ presence would increase even if Germany was not warmonger. However it would not be such a tragedy. Some of Czech industrialists actually argued on orientating more towards Germany not France. However I believe they had on mind Weimar Germany not Hitler's Germany.

Faeelin

Banned
All above mentioned countries were under German economic pressure. Same goes for Yugoslavia before occupation. Germany was their most important trading partner. Years ago I had book from library on German economical and political ties/ influence in Balkan shortly before war and during it. Interesting reading however it was some 15-20 years ago I red it.

Dont' forget that Czechoslovakia was much more developd than the other Eastern European states.

Deleted member 1487

They would lose much of their coal resources, so they would be that much more dependent on Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland
During the Great Depression the mostly mountainous regions populated by the German minority, together with other peripheral regions of Czechoslovakia, were hurt by the economic depression more than the interior of the country. Unlike the less developed regions (Ruthenia, Moravian Wallachia), the Sudetenland had a high concentration of vulnerable export-dependent industries (such as glass works, textile industry, paper-making, and toy-making industry). Sixty percent of the bijouterie and glass-making industry were located in the Sudetenland, 69% of employees in this sector were Germans speaking according to mother tongue, and 95% of bijouterie and 78% of other glassware was produced for export. The glass-making sector was affected by decreased spending power and also by protective measures in other countries and many German workers lost their work.[6]

They would lose much of their coal resources, so they would be that much more dependent on Germany.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland
Coal industry was located in Ostrava region - still in Czechoslovak hands. Something went to Poland - Tesin area. Czechoslovakia probably wouldn't be totaly dependent on Germany for that but still have option to supplement from own sources and to buy from Poland. However certain pressure by Germany could be used. But as it was said. If Germany was democratic or at least stopped with it's world dominantion project right there it would not matter and pressure wouldn't be needed. After all
Czechoslovakia was sitting on Danube - important route for oil import to Germany from Romania.

Sudetenland had a high concentration of vulnerable export-dependent industries (such as glass works, textile industry, paper-making, and toy-making industry). Sixty percent of the bijouterie and glass-making industry were located in the Sudetenland, 69% of employees in this sector were Germans speaking according to mother tongue, and 95% of bijouterie and 78% of other glassware was produced for export. The glass-making sector was affected by decreased spending power and also by protective measures in other countries and many German workers lost their work.[6]
Exactly. But same or similar industries were in Czech and Slovak parts so it could be supplemented - no need to import from Sudetland.

Deleted member 1487

I don't see anything aobut coal?

Czechoslovakia-Economic-Activity-Map.jpg

Czechoslovakia-Resources-Map-1974.jpg

That's map from communist Czechoslovakia. Some pretty important brown mines in South Moravia or north western Czechoslovakia are not even there.

Second map is showing that best quality hard coal mines would stay in Czechoslovakia or partially go to Poland.

Deleted member 1487

That's map from communist Czechoslovakia. Some pretty important brown mines in South Moravia or north western Czechoslovakia are not even there.

Second map is showing that best quality hard coal mines would stay in Czechoslovakia or partially go to Poland.

Do you have a better one, this is all I could find.

Do you have a better one, this is all I could find.
Sorry nope I just check major Czech mining sites - some of them - brown coal would be indeed in Sudetland like Most region. Little bit in north by city of Ostrava would go to Poland. Unfortunately I was not able to locate even coal needs and production for Czechoslovakia in 1938 - not even on Czech or Slovak web sites. I found partial numbers. For example Ostrava region mined 13 mil t in 1937.

I found however that Czechoslovakia was supplying Germany for example in 1919 with 260 000 t of coal a month and in 1934 with coal and electricity (not exact numbers).