Eastern Entrance

If anyone wants to help me out with pix, it would be much appreciated. Past 1972, using OTL pix is ASB. Which explains why HWE has no pix.

Prime Minister Ferdinand Marcos reviewing the Presidential Guard before the state visit of President Robert Kennedy, July 24, 1972

L-R: Prime Minister Marcos, Army CoS Gen. Fabian Ver, Constabulary CoS Gen. Fidel Ramos, and NBI Director Bobby Ong in foreground.

ferdinand-marcos.jpg

“I am eagerly awaiting my Philippine voyage. I wonder what Marcos has in store. Probably wants to discuss people he’s killed, or something that aides shouldn’t hear. Anyways, I’ll use the opportunity to see Lee in Singapore and Thieu in Vietnam.”
Robert’s diary, July 3

Democratic National Convention, Miami Beach, FL: July 10

“Going in, there was a lot of discussion over social issues. Feminist delegates, including Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan, had campaigned for an abortion plank, but McGovern ultimately decided against it, because of his deep conflict over the issue.”

“That convention was not lacking in enthusiasm. But the atmosphere was lacking seriousness, and sometimes seemed more like a fraternity party than a political convention nominating a candidate for Leader of the Free World.”

HUDP, pp. 547-9

“Send the following wire to President Kennedy: I am at your disposal for this election and all subsequent ones until my party regains a semblance of sanity.”
Mayor Richard Daley to Alderman Ralph Metcalfe

Presidential balloting
Sen. George McGovern: 1,679
Gov. John Patterson: 633
Sen. Henry Jackson: 341

Rest scattered

“Of course no one wanted to be McGovern’s running mate. Once Imelda Marcos votes were tabulated, I wanted to shoot just about everyone in the party. When all was said and done, he was so infuriated…”
Sen. Gary Hart (D-CO) interview, 1978

Vice Presidential balloting
Former N.H. Gov. John King: 1,589
Sen. Hubert Humphrey: 631
Rest scattered

“Kennedy could hardly have been more satisfied with the results, and he was greatly amused at the fact that the nominations were done at 2 a.m. Two decades later, the President told the author that “you’d have thought it was some frat slumber party.”
Robert Kennedy: Classical Liberal, Black, p. 533

“Anxious to arrive in Manila. Wonder what’s in store for me. Nancy was talking about it for the past week.”
Robert’s diary, July 23

“This is Walter Cronkite, reporting live from Manila. Air Force One is now taxiing into position while Prime Minister Marcos is on the tarmac with his Cabinet and senior officials…”

STATE DEPT. TRANSCRIPT: PRES KENNEDY, PM MARCOS, MALACANANG, 24/07/72

MARCOS: “The NBI has seized a distillery which was used in illegal distribution of alcohol throughout the provinces. Why I have kept this censored is because we have traced the parent company to your father’s ownership.”
KENNEDY: “I can’t say I’m not shocked about this. How long have you known?”
MARCOS: “Since last week. That is why I wanted us to meet alone, among other things. I have closed it down and have begun demolition of the facility. I cannot compensate a company for illegal activities.”
KENNEDY: “Nor would I want you to. Now on the subject of the base treaty…”
MARCOS: “I will put that through Parliament next week.”

END OF TRANSCRIPT

Republican National Convention, July 24- Boston Garden, Boston, MA

“Four more years! Four more years!”
Presidential balloting:
President Robert Kennedy: unanimous voice vote
“I think that’s just been arranged!”
“Fellow Republicans, my running mate bears a name that all Americans will instantly recognize. This is a man who has served his country for three decades, whom I thoroughly respect. I give you Senator George Bush of Texas!”
President Kennedy after his unanimous renomination, Aug. 21, 1972

“We were immediately engulfed with balloons, confetti, and assorted convention paraphernalia. Then I delivered my acceptance speech. Nancy was looking at me the entire time, even happier than four years previously.”
Presidential Perspective

Vice-Presidential balloting
Sen. George Bush: Unanimous voice vote
George Bush with President Kennedy in foreground, Aug. 22

“Last month, we saw a scene straight out of a teenage comedy. That convention, if one could call it that, reminded me of the Archie Bunker comic strip. Not just because he was nominated for vice president of the United States. My friends, in the past four years we have passed universal healthcare, obtained a ceasefire in Vietnam and stabilized the economy. In the next four years, we will expand our global trade network all around the world, from the Canadian border to Asia and beyond...”
Acceptance remarks of Pres. Robert Kennedy, R.N.C. 1972

“President Kennedy is currently enjoying a fifteen-point lead over Senator McGovern, with precious little time to gain the lead. Perhaps the Democratic ticket is most handicapped by this statement from a senior Democratic Senator: “McGovern is for amnesty, abortion and acid. Once Catholic Middle America finds that out, he’s dead.

Evans and Novak, Sept. 30
POLLING DATA: PRESIDENT’S EYES ONLY: OCT. 13-15

KENNEDY/ BUSH: 58%
MCGOVERN/ KING: 42%

WHOM DO YOU TRUST ON THE ECONOMY?
REPUBLICAN: 83%
DEMOCRATIC: 17%

WHOM DO YOU TRUST ON DEFENSE?
REPUBLICAN: 76%
DEMOCRATIC: 24%

“Been touring the Northeast, got 100,000 people at a Boston rally and 150,000 in Chicago. If I’m lucky, we might get close to FDR’s record.”
President Kennedy in Long Island, Oct. 26

Robert’s diary, Oct. 24

Election Day, Tues. Nov. 7

“Walter, with 30% of the votes in, we can call Texas for President Kennedy, with over 65% of the votes cast in favour of his re-election. Another surprise is Minnesota, not usually a Republican state…”
PROJECTION: PRESIDENT KENNEDY RE-ELECTED IN LANDSLIDE

“With the state of California now in the Republican column, President Kennedy has 431 electoral votes, with more states to come as the night continues…”
genusmap.php

(R) Robert F. Kennedy/ George H.W. Bush: 535 ECV, 61.8%
(D) George S. McGovern/ John W. King: 0 ECV, 37.2%

Incumbent President: Robert Kennedy (R)

House results
Republican: 271 seats (+48)
Democratic: 164 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Gerald Ford (R-MI)

Senate results:
Republican: 68 seats (+7)
Democratic: 32 seats

“I wish to thank my fellow Americans for giving me such a vote of confidence, which I will honour in the next four years. Let us work together to create a conscientious United States, of our role in our community and the world community at large…”
President Robert Kennedy’s election night address, Mayflower Hotel, Nov. 7, 1972

“There’s also the future to think about. I’ll send a word to the Speaker. That project should be completed in the next year if things go our way…”
RNC Chair Bob Finch to Karl Rove, Dec. 4

Jan. 20, 1973: President Kennedy’s second Inauguration.

I, Robert F. Kennedy, do solemnly swear…”

So, thoughts on the campaign or the TL in general? There will be no WH pix in this term or later, as much as I'd have liked to. For readers of the "Bush v. Kennedy" thread, I partially fulfilled your wishes. Wait and see if I follow up...

Last edited:
Improbable, but not impossible. In the early 1960s the media (including foreign media for a period) thought there would be a six-term Kennedy dynasty.

*Before anyone asks, I will not fulfill those dynastic wishes in Sunshine Sadness.

Last edited:
No its impossible. Parties can generally not stay in power for more than 12 years in the United States, 16 if their lucky, but the populace generally cannot go 24 years with the same Party in power.

Well still, even if it's possible, which it's not, Kennedy would not have won a landslide reelection on the front of 24 years of Republican rule, in fact, the last four elections should have been very, very, very close.

Carpetbagger, just wait for the rest of this timeline. I think it's a great timeline right now, and I don't think we need you criticizing every timeline that comes into play.

Great timeline, RB! Really interesting so far. I look forward to the next term of RFK, and who will succeed him in '76. Great job.

Carpetbagger, just wait for the rest of this timeline. I think it's a great timeline right now, and I don't think we need you criticizing every timeline that comes into play.

Great timeline, RB! Really interesting so far. I look forward to the next term of RFK, and who will succeed him in '76. Great job.

Explain???

I don't. I dare anybody to find any other TL I have criticized on the first, second, or even third page. I wasn't even very harsh.

Carpetbagger: I take your legitimate criticism in good spirit, but hope it doesn't affect your general opinion of the TL. :) I don't have a "flagship" TL per se, but this was my first full-length one. I usually like to stick with the two-term rule, but I've done RFK '76 twice already...

Last edited:
Carpetbagger: I take your legitimate criticism in good spirit, but hope it doesn't affect your general opinion of the TL. :) I don't have a "flagship" TL per se, but this was my first full-length one. I usually like to stick with the two-term rule, but I've done RFK '76 twice already...

Oh no no no. This TL is very interesting and well thought out, with a interesting POD to boot :). I'm just trying to make sure you understand that a Party in power for 24 years in the United States just is extremely hard to make possible.

You should see some of the media hype regarding a possible six-term (JFK, RFK, EMK) Kennedy dynasty in the early 60s. One of my ref books refers to a RFK whistle-stop where girls allegedly had a... wait for it... climax. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I kid you not. Or at least fainted while staring with their mouths open. Anyone who has heard RFK's audio clips will tell you that the acoustics do not permit that.

Realistically, crowds gave him the energy for 20 hour days on one full meal and a coffee. Which along with the *energetically unorthodox* campaign style, explains the picture below.

Interesting, Nixon going east prevents his hatred of the "eastern establishment" and lessens his feelings of inferiority, which prevents him from getting super paranoid in the late 60's. I look forward to more.

RFK and Nixon have more in common than most realize (I wrote a paper on that), but the most interesting one is Lyndon Johnson. LBJ feared RFK was more "manly" than he was. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Perhaps (aside from being nearly two decades older) it had to do with the fact that LBJ never shot lions in Africa, canoed the whitewater rapids, swam in the piranha-infested Amazon, or heloed a 15,000 ft mountain while being petrified of heights. ;)

Last edited: