Eastern Entrance

Just a quick question. Would you prefer I discuss day-to-day and personal lives more? If I knew how to Photoshop it'd be a lot better... :eek: Since no one ever took a picture of RFK and Nixon together...

Here goes: As of Christmas 1964 here are updates of all the kids. Now for their parents...

President and Mrs. Nixon- recently hosted a Xmas dinner for close friends. President is considering buying a house in NYC on 5th Avenue. Reunion at Hyannis at Xmas.
Jack and Jackie: JFK has all of his medical problems as usual, but tries to remain healthy. The exercise regimen is going somewhat better. Even the *extracurricular activities* have stopped.
Bobby and Nancy: Best of all. Occassional issues over Nancy's shopping habits, namely the $15,000 Louis V. purse, but otherwise going out often, and enjoying themselves considerably. RFK recently purchased a Rolex and one of the first 100 Mustangs.
Ted and Joan: Rocky, but stable for now.

Rebecca Nixon: Sidwell
Peter Nixon: Sidwell
Oliver Nixon: Sidwell

Joseph Kennedy: Groton
Bobby Jr: Groton
Kathleen: Sidwell
Marie: Pre-K

Last edited:
Chapter Six: The Arsenal of Incumbency

"This was to be the year of voting rights and foreign policy. And it was clear from the outset that China, South Africa and voting rights would be our priorities."

Memoirs

"I had an irresolvable dilemma. Putting Bob in as Attorney General would cause Southern issues in 1968, and he didn't want to give up the Senate. On the other hand, a straight succession would look rather suspicious. Hugh Scott had no interest in the Presidency, and Rockefeller was never much of an option. In the Cabinet, George Romney, the most eligible of all of them, was not capable of major-league pitching in my view. So the choice narrowed down to those two, and since Rockefeller was not terribly popular because of his remarriage, the choice was somewhat inevitable."

"Been enjoying Judiciary and F.R. these days, but I've gotten the heads-up on three major F.P. initiatives. They're secret right now, but Dick says we will transform FR and the party by term's end. There's a great party at M.V. on Sat. and have confirmed attendance already. Teddy says there's something important that could have consequences. Hope it's not what I think it might be..."

- Robert Kennedy journal, Jan. 26, 1965

"I boarded a PIA 707 for Beijing from Lahore at 0230, not knowing what was in store. Upon my arrival in Beijing, I was whisked to see Zhou at his official residence. We talked for most of the day, and agreed to meet again in six weeks time. He told me that Mao and himself had committed to opening ties with the U.S. after 16 years of isolation. Upon my return to Washington, I met with the President and informed him of our plans. We decided that Chinese-US relations would be the priority this year, along with Vietnam. South Africa would come in 1966, but the Voting Rights Act had to also be passed in the next two years, before attention shifted to the 1968 election."

Furlough at Foggy Bottom, Henry Kissinger, 1987

Feb. 17, 1965- MACMILLAN RESIGNS, HEATH NEW PM

In India, Prime Minister Desai had begun to dismantle what he called the "suffocating statist spiderweb", by abolishing the Planning Commission and replacing it with the Economic Advisory Council, chaired by the eminent economist Dr. Manmohan Singh. Rumbles emanated from the left wing of the party, but the Prime Minister ignored them, appointing the universally respected Lal Bahadur Shastri his caucus liaison. In a purposeful slap at Indira Gandhi, still a Rajya Sabha backbencher, he appointed her cousin B.K. Nehru Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister. Desai had also created the Ministry of Intergovernmental Affairs to handle federal-state relations, which he had felt led to "Delhi dictatorship." On June 27, 1965 he renewed the English compromise for another fifteen years over the objections of the party left. When asked why, the Prime Minister retorted "because of our educational system". By contrast, in Manila, President Marcos was sailing towards victory in November, but had already begun planning a radical change ahead...

"On Aug. 5 I asked Bill Rogers to begin drafting a Voting Rights bill. We had already consulted leading Democrats, including Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, and of course my brother-in-law Jack. We were distracted on the home front for a week or so."

Memoirs

"Bob, call Jack and Ted, we need to have a family council at the White House tonight. Do you have anything planned? No, but we're in session until five. Come here after."

- Private call, Aug. 7, 1965

Nixon- "What's the problem?

Ted- Well, there's been a, shall we say, issue. The rumor about Joan and myself, it's kind of true."

Jack- "That you're incompatible and you want out?"

Ted- "Correct."

Nixon- "This could become very messy, and will ensure you will never reach the room below us. Now, is it because of what we'll call extracurricular activities?"

Ted- "There were some parties..."

Bobby- "Teddy, the whole thing from beginning to end."

Nixon- (20 min later): If that gets out, we'll all be in it knee deep. Go for counseling, and if that doesn't work, tell us before making any unilateral decisions."

Ted- "OK, but how do I tell the kids."

Jack- "That's more for Bobby and Dick than us, Ted."

Nixon- "If it gets in the papers, I'll say that Uncle Ted made a mistake. A very bad one. But each to his own discretion."

A few weeks later, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was introduced in the House. On Sept. 23, it passed 385-140 and was sent to the Senate. The filibuster began on Oct. 2, and continued for two days before cloture ended it 73-27.

"On Oct. 17, I flew aboard Air Force One to Guam for a stopover. Two days later, we arrived in Beijing, which caught the media and the country completely by surprise. The talks with Mao and Chou were productive. We agreed on a schedule of establishing liaison offices (ironically in the old embassies) by 1968 and full embassies by 1973. On Vietnam, Mao said that the status quo was fine, but promised to reduce the Chinese support contingent by 30% in the next year. If a settlement along Korean lines was reached, he would have no objections."

Memoirs

On Jan. 10, 1966, President Nixon departed for a state visit to South Africa. The mission was ostensibly run of the mill, but both he and Prime Minister Verwoerd had something entirely different in mind. The results would substantially improve US-SA ties...

The negotiators sat down to work. How would they navigate the shoals? President Nixon wasn't worried about the domestic implications of this. Perhaps he could get Fulbright's vote. He would be even more of a hypocrite than he already was. Nixon liked best Bobby's description of Fulbright: "Wilson reincarnated".

"On March 4 I was ready to make the announcement."

PRES NIXON ANNOUNCES US-SOUTH AFRICA FTA IMPENDING

"Now if we could conclude one with the Canadians, so much the better. Though we would have to start right now, and I don't think Mike has the numbers for such an undertaking. We'll have to wait for a Tory administration without Diefenbaker."

-President Nixon to Cabinet, Apr. 2, 1966

On May 10, 1966 the House passed the draft FTA 319-116. In the Senate, it was denounced by Fulbright as "appeasement of the Afrikaners" which elicited widespread laughter amongst many Senators considering Fulbright's racial views. On May 26, at a ceremony in Washington, the treaty was signed by President Nixon and Prime Minister Verweord amid much fanfare.

Meanwhile, in Manila, President Marcos ordered the convocation of a Constitutional Convention under Carlos Garcia. The objective was considering a federal state, though many suspected what the President really wanted was to beat the King record...

Canadian federal election, Apr. 15, 1966

Liberal: 128 seats (+9)
Progressive Conservative: 99 seats
NDP: 25 seats
Socred: 14 seats

Incumbent PM: Lester Pearson (Lib)

In September, the family reconvened, this time at Hyannisport.

Ted- It just can't work out.
Nixon- Have you stopped doing what we discussed last time?
Ted- Yes, but it doesn't seem to work.
Bobby- Well, a divorce would cause an uproar in the media. Right now, how's the counseling going?
Ted- Somewhat better.
Jack- I'd say keep counseling going until year-end. Then after that, any decision could be made.
Nixon- Jack's right. How many people know outside the family?
Ted- No one.
Nixon- Excellent.

Generic Congressional ballot

Republican: 48%
Democratic: 42%
Undecided: 10%

Midterm elections, Nov. 8, 1966

House results

Republican: 231 seats (+18)
Democratic: 204 seats

Speaker-elect: Gerald Ford (R-MI)

Senate results:
Democratic: 60 seats (-3)
Republican: 40 seats

Marshall Parker (R-SC) defeats Fritz Hollings (D-SC)

Jack Kennedy becomes the ranking Democrat on Foreign Relations, Bobby the ranking Republican on Judiciary.

As 1967 opened, tensions began to rise in the Middle East. This was one area which had been neglected by the Administration, particularly with the fedayeen raids into Israel. In Vietnam, the war was going well, with the ARVN moving into Cambodia and Laos to try and cut the Trail. President Diem's land reform program had been completed, but at the age of 65 he was beginning to show his age. Privately he favors Gen. Thieu as his successor, though there would be problems with his brother and sister-in-law.

"By spring 1967 I had accomplished my policy goals. I wanted to do healthcare as well, but the window had closed. Come the fall, all attention would be focused on the 1968 presidential election."

Memoirs

Personal lives update- as of April 1967

President and First Lady: Very smooth, weekly family dinners. Begun library planning once leaving office. President Nixon is thinking of seeking the NY Governorship or the other Senate seat in 1970.
Jack and Jackie- JFK still has medical issues as he approaches his 50th birthday, but is much better thanks to his new cortisone treatment. Plans to become the Legislator-in-Chief.
Bobby and Nancy- Smooth as ever, but anxious about the following November. President Nixon has looked for a successor and found none. The President, as per his custom, was not pressuring him at all. "I want the Presidency, but right now there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm for me." In the end, Bobby decides that if no Republican other than Rockefeller emerges by October, he will seek the GOP nomination.
Ted and Joan- Marriage has been stabilized and improving after being on the brink the previous winter.

June 4, 1967- ISRAEL LAUNCHES PREEMPTIVE STRIKE ON EGYPT, JORDAN, SYRIA

June 10, 1967- ALL OVER- ISRAEL CAPTURES GAZA, WEST BANK, GOLAN

In July 1967 Britons went to the polls.

UK general election, 1967

Conservative: 389 (+10)
Labour: 231 seats
Liberal: 5 seats

Incumbent PM: Ted Heath (Tory)

All for now... Next, Campaign '68.

Chapter Seven: Presidential Prerogative, War of Wills

"By September, I still had the May dilemma in my lap. On Sept. 14, I received a phone call from Nelson Rockefeller."

ROCKEFELLER: Dick, what are the campaign plans?
NIXON: Do you want to run? What I would like is a contest of the two wings. Otherwise it will be very boring.
ROCKEFELLER: I see no conservative willing to step up. Ideological crossfire will not be good. And I have no interest in the Naval Observatory. How about George Romney?
NIXON: I've heard that Barry is interested. Let's not dissuade him.
ROCKEFELLER: I look forward to this.

In October, Mike Pearson announced his intention to step down, and Pierre Trudeau, Mitchell Sharp, and Robert Winters became the frontrunners for the Liberal leadership. In Delhi, Prime Minister Morarji Desai had ordered the dismantling of the Maruti factory owned by Sanjay Gandhi "because it is located within 1000 m of a defence installation, is an irretrievable lemon, politically immoral, and just plain idiotic." When Indira Gandhi protested, the Prime Minister said the following: "Sister, calm yourself. I have awarded the contract to Peugeot."

Meanwhile, in Manila...

CON-CON PRESENTS DRAFT FEDERAL CONSTITUTION TO PRES MARCOS

The proposed transition period will last until 1970, with the Congress to become a unicameral Parliament and the various Governors to retain their titles. The reorganization of the judiciary will be important, with most incumbent judges having their court names changed or jurisdictions modified.

"October 15 came and went. I made the final decision. Cleared for takeoff..."

Liberal leadership convention, Oct. 25, 1967

1st ballot- Total: 2388

Pierre Trudeau: 752
Robert Winters: 330
Paul Hellyer: 277
Paul Martin: 277
Rest scattered

2nd ballot

Pierre Trudeau: 950
Robert Winters: 480
Paul Hellyer: 465
John Turner: 350

3rd ballot

Judy LaMarsh- "Paul, don't let the bastard win. He's not even a Liberal!"

Robert Winters: 1295 votes

"I proclaim Robert Winters the new leader of the Liberal Party of Canada and the next Prime Minister." Shortly thereafter, Pearson and Winters drive to Rideau Hall. Winters is sworn in as Prime Minister and Parliament is prorogued. Dissolution will come after the fading of Jinglebells...

"On Dec. 4, the announcement came"

PPP

GOLDWATER ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY

Dec. 20, 1967- JOHNSON, FULBRIGHT, JACKSON DECLARE CANDIDACY

Jan. 3, 1968- ACT OF SUCCESSION: ROBERT KENNEDY SEEKS GOP NOD

RFK Meet the Press interview, Jan. 7, 1968

Q: What was a factor in your decision Senator?
A: I want to see the party united around the center. Diversity of opinion is extremely healthy for the party and the country. If one wing is allowed to completely triumph over the other, it will be disadvantageous in the long term.
Q: In your recent book, New Problems, New Solutions, the theme appears to be that the "Forgotten America", as you've said many times in the past, is not so incompatible with Republican values.
A: That's correct. We forget how much Theodore Roosevelt did for the average American, and this includes the poor and middle class alike. Consumer protection, conservation, these are things that cannot be allowed to die or be the sole preserve of the Democratic Party. We cannot abandon family values, fiscal conservatism, and other core values either. My platform could be given the title "The Conscient Society". Which in essence, sums up my personal and political beliefs.
Q: Thank you for being with us.
A: My pleasure.

Jan. 15, 1968- Canadian Parliament dissolved for March 2 election.

Feb. 4, 1968- JOHNSON, KENNEDY NEW HAMPSHIRE VICTORS

"At the end of February, the Democrats were splintering, splitting Johnson/Jackson votes allowed Fulbright to take second place to Lyndon Johnson. He would not gain the nomination, but a place on the ticket would swing Southern votes towards the Democrats."

PPP

"By March, Goldwater had scored an upset in Illinois, and had run a close second in New Hampshire, but narrow Kennedy victories in Indiana and Nebraska, combined with blowouts in Oregon and California in June, made Robert Kennedy the presumptive Republican nominee."

Canadian federal election, 1968

Liberal: 161 seats (+33)
Progressive Conservative: 85 seats
NDP: 12 seats
Socred: 10 seats

Incumbent PM: Robert Winters (Lib)

Total: 265 seats

The 20th Century White House, Sir Martin Gilbert, 2005

In July, Robert Kennedy was acclaimed the Republican nominee.

NIXON- "Bob, who will take the number two slot?"
BOBBY- "I'm thinking Bob Anderson or Goldwater. Perhaps Goldwater as VP and Anderson for Treasury."
NIXON- "Agreed, now how will the campaign run?"
BOBBY- "Here are the plans (shows Nixon long Rove memo).
NIXON- "Sounds good."

Republican Convention, Miami Beach, FL

1st ballot

Robert Kennedy: 850
Barry Goldwater: 220
Rest scattered

"Will you take it? We have no hope in '76 anyways, but I'll take it. For now. After the first term I'd like to be ambassador to Mexico. We'll see. I'm happy to be on the team."

Vice-Presidential balloting

Barry Goldwater- unanimous voice vote

"As the campaign got underway, the Democrats nominated Johnson-McCarthy. Fulbright's exclusion from the ticket caused the South to transfer its complete allegiance to the Republicans. Though aware of Robert Kennedy's liberalism on civil rights, they were reassured by Goldwater's presence on the ticket and the conservatives in Cabinet. President Nixon had promised no further legislation for the rest of his administration on that subject."

- Classical Liberal: The Robert Kennedy Story, Conrad Black, 2009

"I declined all debate offers, and the polls confirmed my suspicions. We were narrowly leading the Democrats, and we didn't want to hurt our chances."

PPP

Re: Electoral Projections
From: Karl Rove, Chairman, Special Operations Division, Natl Cmte.
To: Senator Kennedy
CC: President Nixon

Find below the Gallup polls and projections. The news is simply peachy.

KENNEDY/GOLDWATER: 54%
JOHNSON/MCCARTHY: 46%

REPUBLICAN: 285 ECV
DEMOCRATIC: 250 ECV

On Nov. 5, 1968, the nation went to the polls...

genusmap.php

(R): Robert F. Kennedy/ Barry M. Goldwater: 334 ECV, 52.3%
(D): Lyndon B. Johnson/ Eugene J. McCarthy: 204 ECV, 46.7%

Incumbent President: Richard Nixon (R)
President-elect: Robert Kennedy (R)

On Dec. 12, 1968 Bobby met with with President Nixon to discuss the Cabinet transition. They agreed that Romney would leave Treasury, to be replaced by Bob Anderson, and Bobby's longtime friend and advisor Nick Katzenbach would replace Bill Rogers at Justice. The brothers-in-law both thought Kissinger invaluable, and Anderson would turn out to be the strongman of the Kennedy Cabinet in domestic affairs. "Maybe because they're bobsey twins" Nancy once joked. President Nixon was planning to reclaim Bobby's Senate seat in 1970, and likely the NY Governorship when Rockefeller retired.

Jan. 20, 1969- "I, Robert Francis Kennedy, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Kennedy I Cabinet

Vice President: Barry Goldwater
Secretary of the Treasury: Robert Anderson
Secretary of Defense: Robert McNamara
Secretary of State: Henry Kissinger
Attorney General: Nicholas Katzenbach
HEW Secretary: Caspar Weinberger
Secretary of the Interior: Robert Finch
Secretary of Labor: James Mitchell
Postmaster General: Ray Bliss

Last edited:
Bump. Any more comments? Threw a curveball with RFK/Goldwater, didn't I? ;) Though nowhere near as outrageous as what I plan to do in the future. Foreign butterflies aplenty here, and Blue Tory-wank incoming around Xmas...

Awaiting pix, what's the verdict so far? And yes, there will be Democratic Presidents eventually. I probably set a record with four Roberts in the Cabinet. :D More records on the way... Next: Honeymoon!

Here's my schedule for updates:

Eastern Entrance: Uploaded Friday night: 1968-70
High Wire Eire: ETA Unknown (1978-81)
Sunshine Sadness: Saturday (1961-3)
Greatest Presidents: Ch.1 by Xmas
Can-Ken: To be rewritten, Summer 2010.

* All photo credits go to LightInfa. Thanks once again.
Seven Months of Statesmanship
RFK.png

President and Mrs. Kennedy, Jan. 20, 1969

Cabinet meeting, 21/01/69
PRESIDENT: Good morning. As you can see, we're all just bobbing in the water right now. (LAUGHS, GROANS) On a more serious note, my first priorities are Vietnam and the economy. I will expect a written update on the state of each department by Friday. Key point to remember: You are there to implement the administration's agenda, not the mandarinate's. Ignore the press and their "First Hundred Days" nonsense. My only concession to that will be an April 30 presser. Any questions?
WEINBERGER: The court's expected to rule on the bussing situation within the next two weeks or so. Will there be any further legislation on the subject?
PRESIDENT: No, there will not. We are reconciliators, not social engineers. As a matter of fact, please wait. Nick, you as well. I want to see you both after we're done.
ANDERSON: On the subject of a new Fed chief...
PRESIDENT: Dr. Burns is staying where he is, as is Dick Helms. That is all.
PRESIDENT: Now that everyone's left, let me be perfectly clear on bussing. We are following the court orders. I will not tolerate use of the word "racial balance". Our priority is education, period.
KATZENBACH: I'll send you a memo within the week.
PRESIDENT: Agreed. Good luck.
END OF TRANSCRIPT

"Today, President Kennedy is preparing to host his first foreign visitor, Canadian Prime Minister Robert Winters. They are expected to discuss bilateral relations and tariff reductions, followed by a state dinner. The President is expected to visit Ottawa sometime this spring. Now to our Ottawa correspondent, Joan Rainier. Joan?"

"Walter, the Prime Minister has made it clear that while this meeting is primarily a get-acquainted one, there is an agenda which he intends to pursue. Winters' ultimate goal is a free-trade agreement, something which the President is highly receptive to. Congress will be a harder sell than the Canadian Parliament, and both have this in mind as they meet later today."
CBS News 7 p.m. broadcast, Feb. 3

"Talks went quite well. Winters is a man we can work with on many issues, especially since he's continuing Mike Pearson's strong stand on defense. His governing philosophy could be thus described: All business is good business. We will be more conservative than the Tories, in the footsteps of M.K. 20 yrs ago."

- Robert's journal, Feb. 4
WINTERS: Both the President and I believe that our agenda is mutual, and that important precedents have been set after this meeting.
REPORTER: "Mr. Prime Minister, have you agreed on a tariff reduction scheme?"
WINTERS: One step at a time. I will not submit any legislation to Parliament until one of the Houses of Congress passes the equivalent, for obvious reasons.
KENNEDY: "I agree with what the Prime Minister's plan, and appropriate legislation will be forthcoming within the next two weeks. Any further questions?"
REPORTER: "Mr. President, have you seen the reports on the state dinner?
KENNEDY: "Which one?"
REPORTER: "Sir, we have received information that the entertainment budget was negligible in covering the costs..."
KENNEDY: "Next question."
REPORTER: Mr. President, when do you plan to visit Ottawa?
KENNEDY: Just as soon as Congress will let me. (LAUGHTER)
KENNEDY: Good day to you gentlemen.
"That little ***damned snip. N. and I agree that we must speak to Hugh about this. I've told Pierre to consider him blacklisted."
Robert's diary, Feb. 6
*IOTL, JFK and Jackie in 1962, with entertainment/clothing bills in the six digits, subtracted from his personal account. Not pretty later...
"On Feb. 10 I conferred with Gen. Abrams and Secretary McNamara on the war in Vietnam. The prognosis was optimistic, as the South Vietnamese were now six months into their new constitution, and everything was going as well as could be hoped for. The hamlet program was having local difficulties, due to the South's nature as a garrison state under civil war. Our current situation was to be expected, of course."
Presidential Perspective, Robert Kennedy, 1980

Prime Minister Morarji Desai was anxiously awaiting an updated report from the Council of Economic Advisors. Privatizing vast sectors of the Indian economy had not been easy, and while he could simply ignore the party left, Kamaraj and Indira Gandhi posed a greater challenge. In the medium term, Indira could be ignored, but not Kamaraj, who as Congress President, held sway over an important section of Congress' parliamentary wing, which the Prime Minister estimated at fifty MLS', and fifteen MRS'.

"Sister Gandhi bothers me often with such nonsense. She asked me to award Sanjay the automotive contract, but I said absolutely not and gave it to Peugeot, who's bid met the criteria as specified by MICI. Such insolence! Sister can't seem to accept the fact that I won the contest, not her. If I have to humiliate her by asking caucus for a vote of confidence in me, so be it."
Diary of P.M. Morarji Desai, Feb. 20, 1969

"Dinner with the family tonight. Without kids, because there are times where N. and I need a break and some "us time". The kids are doing well in school, and everyone's happy. Dick will be working on his memoir soon, and Jack's still #2 to Jim Eastland on Judiciary. Sigh."
Robert's diary, Feb. 26

"In March, I visited Vietnam to meet with Thieu in Saigon, as well as visit the troops. You can't know a war zone unless you've visited, and I gained precious insights. ARVN has improved quite a bit since my last visit. Bob Kintner says dealing with Ky is a RPA, but in the rural areas they only know two names. Gen. Ky and Uncle Ho. Therefore Thieu, who's as charismatic as my cigar box, needs someone like that. We discussed the new equipment that Dick sent over there, and the effect is quite visible, even on morale. They're taking pride in their equipment, their unit, their military and most importantly, their country. Once the SVN develop a sense of nationhood and peoplehood, we will see better combat units. Awarded some medals, including two Medals of Honor, and went to rural areas as well. You'd have thought I was stumping in the Mekong Delta."

On Apr. 10, the Court ruled in favour of busing, "to further comply with the Civil Rights Act of 1962." Not "to further extend social engineering". Bussing was temporarily put on the back burner when the President embarked on a European tour starting on the 15th.

"Today, President Kennedy will be visiting London, and meeting the Queen and Prime Minister Heath at Buckingham Palace. Talks are expected to range from the EEC to NATO and will last several hours, followed by a state dinner at the Palace."
- Alistair Cooke interview, Apr. 17

"Dinner was absolutely superb. HM is a lot more political than many realize, and it was quite entertaining. Whereas the talks with Heath were not something I'd care to repeat. He's anti-American, lock, stock and barrel. Obsessed with the idea of taking Britain into the Comm. without considering the consequences of sovereignty. Personally, I think he's more of a Eurofederalist than a Conservative."
Robert's diary, Apr. 17

"All I can say is that he's an excellent listener. Before you get asked detailed policy questions. The best American I've ever met."

- Diary of PM Edward Heath

"Meeting de Gaulle is fascinating. Especially eating on the Elysee's terrace. We discussed Vietnam, domestic situation, etc. Gave him a replica of G.W's sword, which clearly impressed the General. Foreign tours are fascinating and always informative. Sometimes you need to travel to truly appreciate our country."
Robert's diary, Apr. 20

"During the first summer, there was little to worry me domestically. Economic indicators were all green, Vietnam was stable, and I was preparing for a summit meeting with Brezhnev and Kosygin in October. Until Black Friday."

Aug. 21- W.H. Tapes

NOVELLO: "Mr. President, Jackie on 1."
KENNEDY: "Thank you Angie.
JACKIE KENNEDY: "Bobby, he's there. They say we should be very alert this time."
KENNEDY: "Jackie, do you want me to cancel the dinner tonight?"
J. KENNEDY: "No, go ahead. That's what he would want. If it goes south rapidly, I'll let you know."
KENNEDY: "OK."
KENNEDY: "John, tell Barry to be on standby."
SEIGENTHALER: "Yes Sir."
NOVELLO: "Sir, Scotty Reston on 2."
KENNEDY: "Patch him in."
JAMES RESTON: "Mr. President, has Ted told you?"
KENNEDY: "Told me what?"
RESTON: " I thought you knew sir..."
UNTIL FRIDAY...

Family Friendly Autocracy

KENNEDY: "Thank you Scotty."
KENNEDY: "Ted, I want you and Dick to come here tonight. Second floor only."
TED KENNEDY: "Anything in particular Bob?"
KENNEDY: "Patience is a virtue."
ROBERT: "Ted, explain what a sandwich is."
TED: "What do you mean?"
ROBERT: "A waitress sandwich to be precise."
NIXON: "If that's what I think it is..."
TED: "Well, at Sans Souci..."
ROBERT: "My own brother doing a goddamn threesome on the floor with a waitress and an aide!"
NIXON: "The kids are nearby. This is not exactly Mickey Mouse here."
ROBERT: (whispers): "Unacceptable. What about Joan and the kids, dammit! Not to mention the minor issue of the priest. Jack's in the hospital!
TED: This can't get out.
ROBERT: I'm losing patience with this mindless disregard for consequences. Does anyone know?
TED: Well, it wasn't in the main dining area...
ROBERT: Enough. Get McElroy on this.
END OF CONVERSATION

"The morning of Sept. 7 was like any other day. After arriving at my desk at 8 a.m. as usual, Gen. Walters informed me that undeclared border war was taking place in the Middle East. I immediately called a meeting of the National Security Council and Joint Chiefs of Staff to discuss the situation."
Recollections: Presidential Perspective, p. 180

"... The Kennedy Administration responded by informing Israeli Prime Minister Yigal Allon that while Israel would be supported, under no circumstances could the situation devolve into full scale war. Allon agreed, but the Phantom raids over Cairo continued. On Sept. 25, 1969 President Gamal Nasser died of a heart attack in Cairo. Though normal procedure would call for the elevation of Vice President Zakarhia Muheiddin, National Assembly Speaker Anwar el-Sadat was sworn in as President of Egypt on the 1st of October."
From “Middle Eastern Mirage", Sir Martin Gilbert, 2005
pp. 286-7

“I need at least 10 to 11 in order to start this campaign.” “Of course I mean millions. Do you think it falls from trees, or even checking accounts?”
- Richard Nixon to Jack Kennedy on their upcoming 1970 senatorial races

“Jim Buckley had stepped aside in order to run for mayor of New York, and the special election was called for November 5th.”
Memoirs, RN, 1979, p. 542

NIXON STUMPS UPSTATE

- New York
Former President Richard Nixon traveled upstate from Albany to Chappaqua in his bid to win the Senate seat vacated by his brother-in-law, President Kennedy. Mr. Nixon enjoys a wide lead over Rep. Adam Clayton Powell, the Democratic nominee, despite attempts by the latter to inject race into the debate. In Chappaqua yesterday, Mr. Nixon declared that “our choice is between responsibility and recklessness. I have proven to you over the past quarter century that I believe in legislative responsibility. The same cannot be said of our opponent. Ladies and gentlemen, anyone who needs $450,000 in committee expenses isn’t responsible, they’re venal.”

Jack Kennedy’s Addison’s was flaring up again. Though the strict exercise regimen of the past decade had substantially improved his health, a cure was impossible. At age 52, his health gave the impression of being fifteen years older. No one knew outside the family, and Joe Sr. had consulted the top specialists, who all gave the same verdict: nothing could be done. There were other worries: he was the only Democrat left in his family. Bobby had offered him a job as Secretary of Commerce, but Jack turned his brother down for the same reason Bobby had declined his brother-in-law’s request to become Attorney General in 1964.

“On Oct. 10, I asked James Byrnes to join the White House staff as a Presidential Advisor. His sterling credentials and moderation led him to become my chief advisor on Southern issues. All parties involved, except for a vocal liberal minority, applauded the choice as bipartisan and wise.”

Presidential Perspective, p. 197

“As of 8:30 p.m. Eastern, we can declare that Richard Nixon has been elected the new Senator from New York.”

New York special Senatorial election (Class 3), 1969
Nov. 5, 1969

(R) Richard M. Nixon: 58.3%
(D) Adam C. Powell: 40.7%

Incumbent Senator: James Buckley (R)
Senator-elect: Richard Nixon (R)

Philippine presidential election, 1969

(N) Ferdinand E. Marcos/ Fernando Lopez: 64.3%
(L) Sergio Osmena Jr. / Benigno S. Aquino Jr.: 34.7%

Incumbent President: Ferdinand Marcos (N)

The White House
To: Karl Rove, National Committee
Jan. 7, 1970
Mr. Rove,
In anticipation of the upcoming midterms, I would like you to prepare a tentative strategic plan for November. Our main targets should be Southern and Western liberals, such as Gore, Harris and Stevenson. Any available resources should be directed to George Bush in Texas, who’s facing a tough re-election fight against Bentsen. Last but not least, a progress report on Operation Missionary is required.
All the best,
PRFK

Malacanang Palace
To: Cesar Virata, Justice Department

Promote the boy to the Directorship. That’s the kind of work I need in preparation for Operation Halloween. I’ll hold the press conference.

FEM

ONG APPOINTED NBI CHIEF- PALACE CONFIRMS

Philippine Star,
Jan. 10, 1970

- MANILA
“President Marcos announced the appointment of the new Director of the National Bureau of Investigation, Robert Ong, at a press conference at Malacanang Palace yesterday. At age 36, he is the youngest Director in Philippine history; marking the second time the Palace has done this, starting with the appointment of Army Brig. Gen. Fidel V. Ramos to head the Constabulary last fall. The President declared the top priority to be firearms offences and violent crime, particularly in the provinces.”
Pres. Marcos’ Palace press conference announcing Bobby Ong’s appointment, Jan. 10

“Bob, Ong’s a much younger, straight version of Hoover. As you know, Marcos was a classmate of mine in law school. Even then he showed authoritarian tendencies. I’d keep an eye over there if I were you.”
Dick to Bobby, Feb. 5

Republican National Committee
Mar. 16, 1970

To: The President
Mr. President,

You can find below our most recent polling data and summaries of important contests. As per your request, I did not include either of your brothers.

GENERIC CONGRESSIONAL BALLOT

DEMOCRATIC: 48%
REPUBLICAN: 48%
UNDECIDED: 12%

Tennessee: Brock v. Gore/Ellington

Gore is increasingly unpopular among urban voters due to the perception of being out of touch with regional values, age and support of civil rights. With a well-managed campaign, Gore can be easily defeated in November. If Gov. Ellington primaries Gore, then Brock’s tactical manoeuvres will cause potential harm to civil rights. This is a necessary risk to regain the Senate. Recommend sending the Vice President as our main Senate campaigner.

Illinois: Smith v. Stevenson

Simply put, Smith is a lacklustre candidate with poor organization and fundraising, but a Daley ally is essential in Illinois. If he loses, I have made arrangements for him to take over the Springfield Capitol. Recommend no assistance from the national leadership.

Texas: Bush v. Bentsen
Bush is a potential future President who has been one of our foreign policy experts in the Senate. Bentsen will try to run to the right of Bush, who is more an Eastern Republican such as Nixon or yourself than a Southerner. Bush is uncomfortable with tactical moves and the Spec Ops part of elections in general. Recommend full use of the Vice President.

I would like to meet with you at our mutual convenience, for we have prepared a manual for you to peruse at your leisure.

Sincerely,

Karl Rove

GOP OPENS CAMPAIGN TOUR

Mar. 20, 1970

- NEW YORK
“President Kennedy and Vice President Goldwater have begun a campaign tour in anticipation of November’s midterm elections. Goldwater will be touring the South in support of Republican senatorial candidates, while the President is stumping the North, stressing the economy, Asian foreign policy and pure politicking. Below is a campaign gallery from Times journalists.”

President Kennedy sharing a laugh with Mickey Mantle, Yankee Stadium, Mar. 23

President Kennedy addressing a partisan Republican audience in Seattle, Mar. 25

Below: Senate F.R. Chmn. Richard Nixon (R-NY) with Secretary of State Henry Kissinger at the White House.

Vice President Goldwater during a radio broadcast for Sen. George Bush, Apr. 7

Last edited:
Comments, questions? This way will require a lot of patience at 4 pages a post, but nothing is spared for my flagship TL. After 1970, I have to rely on assistance if you want more RFK photos...

Expect the next chapter tomorrow. That will run until we start readying for 1972. If you're expecting surprises, I promise not to disappoint...

Davenport to Delhi

“Today we toured Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. Roudebush is in a nail-biter with Hartke and I want to ensure victory here. Smith’s hopeless, but we’re still working on Iowa. Still have that rapport in the Midwest that worked so well in ’68 and potentially in the future.”
- Robert’s diary, Tues. Apr. 15

FIRST LADY’S CIVICS AWARENESS CAMPAIGN

- Friday, Apr. 18, 1970

D.C.

- “First Lady Nancy Kennedy today unveiled her “Civics Commission”, which will promote awareness of civics and American history among our nation’s youth. The Commission will be chaired by James MacGregor Burns of Harvard University, and will propose a new civics syllabus, in cooperation with the H.E.W. Department, the National Governors Association, and the various local education authorities. “Washington will not dictate the curriculum, but rather provide a federal framework whose development is at the discretion of state and local authorities.” Her initiative complements the Educational Standards Act introduced by the President last year.”

BREAKING NEWS: KENNEDY FIRES HOOVER

“Let’s go live to the White House, where Tom Brokaw is standing by. Tom?”

“Sam, informed sources tell me that the President and the Attorney General have decided to fire Mr. Hoover after learning of illegal activities conducted by the FBI under the COINTELPRO program. Allegedly, taps were placed on the phones of Dr. Martin Luther King and Stanley Levison. There was also surveillance of the 1964 Democratic Convention, though our source declined to provide details.”

CBS News broadcast, May 27, 1970

“You may be seated. I have decided to relieve Mr. Hoover of his duties as Director of the FBI effective immediately. Attorney General Katzenbach and I have discovered evidence of highly illegal activities taken without authorization under the law or from the Attorney General. These include wiretaps, bugs, and surveillance of the Democratic candidates in the 1964 and 1968 presidential elections. There will be a Senate commission chaired by Senators Ervin and Scott into abuses by the Bureau, which will convene immediately following the August recess. The floor is now open for questions.”
“Mr. President, how long have you known about this?”
“Rumors have been swirling for years, but only recently did a source come forwards and confess everything on paper. For confidentiality purposes, he will remain anonymous until the Commission’s convention. I personally first learned of the source last week, but the Attorney General and I decided to wait until all the T’s were crossed before going public.”
“Mr. President, will this have any effect on the midterm elections?”
“That power largely resides in your hands. Good day.”
President Robert Kennedy’s press conference of June 4, 1970

“Today, I signed the Public Health Tobacco Act and the 26th Amendment, lowering the voting age to 18. Fortunately, I’ve never smoked, but Jack still likes his cigars. I kidded him about it later.”

Robert’s diary, July 1

“While the Ervin-Scott Commission was forming, I asked Cap Weinberger and Bob Finch to finish the healthcare proposal which had been originally floated in 1967, but was too late for Dick’s Presidency. Named the Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan, the proposal would establish universal healthcare with a public option, while retaining the existing employer-based system. For most of the summer, I was working on this crucial piece of domestic legislation.”
Presidential Perspective, p. 203

“Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States!”

“Thank you for such a warm welcome. I’m especially pleased to see such familiar faces in the front row. I have come before this joint session of the Congress to propose universal health care for all Americans. In our country today, there are millions without healthcare, without a chance of completing high school, obtaining an honorable job and a respected place in their community. This plan will cover 90% of those without coverage at the present time. There will be a public option, with reform, however the existing employer-based system will be complementing my draft proposal. Now, some of you are thinking, doesn’t this mean a two-tier system? The answer is an unequivocal yes. However, both systems will complement each other rather than competing for resources… “My second proposal, the draft Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement, is currently before the House as I speak. Under this treaty, exports to our northern ally will increase 25% by 1973, with 80% of the increase in commodity trading. Rather than depending on unstable Middle Eastern supply lines, the United States can have access to secure oil primarily from Alberta. Prime Minister Winters is favorable to this proposal, and has assured me that Parliament will ratify this agreement once Congress does the same. Thank you.” (Standing ovation)
President Robert Kennedy’s Joint Congressional Address, Sept. 11, 1970

“After the President’s speech, there was a five-minute ovation. He appeared visibly pleased at his success. Thereafter, Senators Scott and Kennedy, the Majority and Minority Leaders respectively, huddled in an O.S.O.B. hideaway for three hours.”
Fighting America’s Battles, George H.W. Bush, 1995

“I looked at the congressional polls, which confirmed my initial judgment. Congress would not vote on my proposal for fears of electoral consequences come November. Since I held reasonable expectations of increasing our Senate tally and maintaining our de facto Southern Democratic-G.O.P. alliance, the fears expressed by some were irrational. Sometimes, it appeared that the only reliable strategist of any import was Karl Rove, who would become increasingly vital to my Administration as the years progressed.”
Presidential Perspective, pp. 245-6

Midterm Election Day, Nov. 3

House results:
Republican: 231 seats (-8)
Democratic: 204 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Gerald Ford (R-MI)

Senate results

Republican: 55 seats (+3)
Democratic: 45 seats

Defeated:
Al Gore (D-TN)
Tom Dodd (D-CT),
Joseph Tydings (D-MD)
Ralph Tyler Smith (R-IL

Incumbent Majority Leader: Hugh Scott (R-PA)

“Henry, now we will implement our plan.”
- President Kennedy to Secretary Kissinger, Jan. 18, 1971

“The proposal to nationalize Rolls has been defeated Prime Minister.”
- Deputy Prime Minister Lord Home to Prime Minister Ted Heath, Jan. 26,
“This is CBS Breaking News. President Kennedy has landed in Delhi, India for talks with Prime Minister Morarji Desai. This is the first Presidential visit since Eisenhower in 1955. The agenda includes arms transfers, and perhaps a formal realignment of our foreign policy towards India rather than Pakistan.”
CBS News broadcast, Feb. 27

“My intention was always to fundamentally reorient American foreign policy towards India. Despite propping up Pakistan’s military leaders, they had failed to deliver on the socioeconomic front, unlike Prime Ministers Desai and Lee, as well as President Marcos.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed by Ken Burns, 2007

“Meanwhile, in Manila, Prime Minister Marcos’ economic policies were producing rapid economic growth, spurred by trade agreements within SEATO and to Japan. Land reform, a long-controversial subject, was ignored intentionally. His increasing authoritarianism sparked mass demonstrations in Manila, but the provinces remained silent. Cunningly, he successfully portrayed the “Marcos Out” movement as a “purely Manileno phenomenon, engineered by Liberal activists disappointed in the results of the last election. Particular scorn was heaped on the
“boy wonder, Mr. Aquino, who has shown his fondness for statist ideology, if not outright socialism. He would do well to remember that this country’s backbone is the masa, not latte-sipping liberals pontificating from outdoor cafes.”
Midnight in Manila: Ferdinand Marcos’ New Society, 1971-1991, Manuel Quezon

“Did I know Marcos would declare martial law? Up to a point, and I refuse to further elaborate, Mr. Burns.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed by Ken Burns for R.F.K., 2007

“My fellow countrymen, following the unprecedented wave of violence in this country, I have declared, with the President’s permission, martial law by means of the Emergencies Act of 1970. This is for the greater good of the average Filipino…” In addition, I do hereby order that all persons presently detained, as well as all others who may hereafter be similarly detained for the crimes of insurrection or rebellion, and all other crimes and offenses committed in furtherance or on the occasion thereof, or incident thereto, or in connection therewith, for crimes against national security and the law of nations, crimes against public order, crimes involving usurpation of authority, rank, title and improper use of names, uniforms and insignia, crimes committed by public officers, and for such other crimes as will be enumerated in Orders-in-Council that I shall subsequently promulgate, as well as crimes as a consequence of any violation of any decree, order or regulation promulgated by me personally or promulgated upon my direction shall be kept under detention until otherwise ordered re- leased by me or by my duly designated representative."

Prime Minister Ferdinand Marcos' National Televised Address, June 11, 1971

“Mr. Ong, initiate operation VULTURE”
- Prime Minister Marcos to NBI Director Bobby Ong, 2100 hrs

“Mr. President, there’s been widespread reports of roving masked men in combat fatigues. Aquino, Lopez, and some others have been reported missing.”

National Security Adviser Gen. Vernon Walters to President Kennedy, June 11

“Karl, you’re cleared for launch.”
- President Kennedy to Karl Rove, authorizing the launch of the 1972 reelection campaign.

“Now the shit’s really hitting the fan”
Bobby to Nancy, privately, June 13

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I've commented on this TL before, but it really is quite enjoyable. I'm a big Nixon fan, and a survivable Republican Party is music to me. THe current nonsense makes me long for AuH20 64 campaign buttons.

Expect the 1972 campaign this Friday. For the readers of my other TLs, I won't get to them until my month-long Xmas break. In the meantime, here's a small personal update on the main characters.

Bobby: Nothing much to speak of, but has been working on an important "civilian" project...

Nancy: Focused on the CAC, major upgrade of the White House china has drawn press criticism.

Dick: Focusing on kids' upcoming graduation.

Eunice: Taken over the Warm Springs Foundation

RFK Jr. entering Harvard Business in the fall

Peter Nixon: Yale Law in the fall

Rebecca: Heading to LSE for graduate work.

Last edited:
Bobby and Karl Show: Campaign ‘72

“In July 1971, the McGovern-Kennedy Commission had released its recommendations for reform of the primary system, whereby a similar system had been implemented by the Republicans in 1967 under Nixon. They were as follows:
1) No ex-officio delegates
2) State organizations select no more than 15% of delegates through their committees
3) No restrictions on voter registration
4) Winner-take-all primaries, P.R. caucuses
5) Affirmative action
6) Nationwide primaries by 1976
7) All other recommendations take effect by Jan. 1, 1972”
History of the U.S. Democratic Party, Caroline Kennedy, 2008

“Operation Missionary is a success, but the announcement will come sometime in August. We’ve raised over $50 million in the past year, but Karl and I agree that the party can’t drown in money, because the five-to-twenty donors form the backbone of our new coalition. Philippines are getting worse every day, and Marcos hasn’t denied a role in the “controlled disorder” in the provinces nor Aquino’s disappearance. Knowing him, probably a .38 slug and fed to the crocs in the river.”

Robert’s diary, July 12

“Later, the Truth Commission revealed that Marcos hadn’t ordered Aquino’s assassination directly, but rather he had implied it to Bobby Ong, who had carried out the order. Often he would send to the NBI lists of “problem people” drawn up by Army Intelligence, and then that would be transmitted to paramilitary units. Under martial law, all islands other than Luzon were closed to foreigners, while Mindanao was a closed military zone.”

Midnight in Manila, p. 145

CAFTA RATIFIED BY CONGRESS, PARL’T, AGREEMENT SIGNED

D.C/ Ottawa, Sept. 25, 1971

- After the ratification of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement by Congress and the Canadian Parliament with votes of 297-138, 75-25, and 204-88, President Robert Kennedy and Prime Minister Robert Winters signed the agreement in a well-publicized ceremony attended by senior members of both Cabinets, and legislative leaders of both parties…”

“You may wonder why we have called this press conference. The answer is simple. We can no longer abide by the increasing radicalism of the Democratic Party and have crossed the floor to the Republican Party. Yes, a family reunion, so to speak.”
Press conference of Senators John and Ted Kennedy (D-MA), Oct. 7, 1971

“Now that operation’s done, and I can focus on fundraising until September.”

Robert’s diary, Oct. 8

UK general election, Nov. 5, 1971
630 Commons seats
Labor: 347 seats
Conservative: 260 seats
Liberal Democrat: 13 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Edward Heath (Tory)
Subsequent Prime Minister: Harold Wilson (Lab)

“The Democratic Party was badly weakened by the defection of the Kennedy brothers, but Senators Jackson and Humphrey decided to try and reassert control.”
History of the U.S. Democratic Party

“I hereby declare my candidacy for President of the United States. Despite the President’s pledges, we have not ended the war in Vietnam, merely obtained a ceasefire. Young people have been left behind by the Republicans. That is why I stand before you today.”
Senator George McGovern (D-SD), Nov. 25, 1971
I cannot allow this great party to fall under the control of a proxy for Abbie Hoffman and Tom Hayden.”
Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), Dec. 8, 1971

“We seem to forget where this party was based until very recently, the South. Thanks to northern liberals, Nixon and Kennedy have now claimed it for the Republican Party. Let’s show them they were premature in their claims.”

Gov. John Patterson (D-AL), Dec. 15, 1971

“I am running for President because I believe that this party needs to remember its roots, those of Roosevelt and Truman. President Kennedy’s stance on ABM and foreign policy deeply concern me, and we must not allow the Soviet Union to gain a military advantage.”
Senator Henry Jackson (D-WA), Dec. 29, 1971

“Mr. President, have you decided on whether you will seek re-election?” “Yes, I will seek re-election, but I see it as a mandate not only to continue the present course, but to forge new ones as well.”

President Robert Kennedy interviewed by Dan Rather, Jan. 4, 1972

“They’re shattering before my eyes. No wonder Jack and Teddy have come over.”

Robert’s diary, Jan. 14

“Mr. President, Operation CHAOS is a go.”
Karl Rove to President Kennedy, Jan. 16

“Tonight, we cannot call the Democratic Iowa caucus at this time. Senator McGovern is leading by 173 votes over Senator Jackson…”

Jan. 24: Iowa caucus (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 41%
HENRY JACKSON: 35%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 30%
JOHN PATTERSON: 4%

“Congress will most likely pass healthcare on Feb. 15. They probably don’t want to send me the wrong message by doing it on Valentine’s Day.”

Robert’s diary, Feb. 10

PRES KENNEDY SIGNS CHIP ON CAPITOL HILL

Feb. 15, 1972

- Today President Robert F. Kennedy signed his healthcare plan, universally known as CHIP, into law at a televised Capitol Hill ceremony. When asked how he would celebrate, the President pulled out a bag of potato chips, then said: “Then I’ll do some pool laps to work them off, in the spirit of MAD.”

Mar. 7: NH primary (D)

GEORGE MCGOVERN: 47%
HENRY JACKSON: 30%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 23%

“This is Tom Brokaw in Miami, where I’m covering the Democratic primary. NBC polls show strong support for Governor Patterson, who is expected to sweep the Southern states and possibly challenge Senator McGovern for the Democratic nomination…”

NBC broadcast, Mar. 14

Florida (D)

JOHN PATTERSON: 73%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 27%

“Hubert will win the Illinois primary come hell or high water.”

- Mayor Richard Daley to Housing Commissioner Richard Wade, Mar. 20

Mar. 21: Illinois (D)

HUBERT HUMPHREY: 47%
HENRY JACKSON: 30%
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 23%

W.H. Tapes, 29/03/72

NOVELLO: Mr. President, Prime Minister Marcos on 1.
KENNEDY: “Thank you Angie.”
MARCOS: “Hello again Mr. President. We need to meet at our mutual convenience.”
KENNEDY: “Is it to do with the reports?”
MARCOS: “Yes. I have been asked about his wife and children. That is contrary to my policy. But while resisting arrest, she tried to attack an officer, and well…”
CENSORED RE NATIONAL SECURITY

KENNEDY: “I’m having trouble believing this isn’t just an insurance policy.”
MARCOS: “My best insurance is the stable economy, rising wages, and the beginning of a substantial reduction in poverty. Not to mention the Church. His Eminence has been invaluable, since I found out certain things about the Lopez family, which I sent to you via Messrs. Ong and Sullivan…”

“Boston will never vote for amnesty, abortion and acid, I can assure you.”

- Bobby to Dick, Apr. 2

Apr. 4: Wisconsin (D)

GEORGE MCGOVERN: 38%
HENRY JACKSON: 35%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 27%

“No Catholic can support a candidate whose views are such mirror opposites of the Church’s on social values.”
Richard Cardinal Cushing, Apr. 21

Apr. 25: Mass. (D)
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 53%
HENRY JACKSON: 40%
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 17%

Pennsylvania (D)
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 45%
HENRY JACKSON: 40%
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 15%

May 2: D.C. (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 56%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 44%

Indiana (D)
JOHN PATTERSON: 48%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 42%
HENRY JACKSON: 10%

“It looks like McGovern will get the nomination. Professors don’t like backtalk, and I have plenty in store for him.”
Robert’s diary, May 4

May 4: Tennessee (D)
JOHN PATTERSON: 71%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 29%

May 6: North Carolina (D)
JOHN PATTERSON: 65%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 35%

May 9: Nebraska (D)

GEORGE MCGOVERN: 48%
JOHN PATTERSON: 7%

West Virginia (D)

HUBERT HUMPHREY: 60%
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 40%

May 16: Maryland (D)

JOHN PATTERSON: 57%
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 43%

“Good morning Maryland! Do you want to return President Kennedy to the White House?” “I can’t hear you!”
“Barry’s a fascist!”
“Get down! Oh my God! The Vice President is dead; repeat the Vice President is dead, from a direct shot to the head. Looks like a .32 pistol.”

VP GOLDWATER ASS’D AT MARYLAND RALLY, PRES KENNEDY TO HOLD PRESSER

“You may be seated. The gunman was shot dead by the Secret Service, and I will not comment on an ongoing investigation. I have spoken to Mrs. Goldwater, and there will be a state funeral this Saturday. Out of respect, I will not take any questions on the campaign or Mr. Goldwater’s replacement.”
President Robert Kennedy’s May 16, 1972 press conference

Michigan (D)
JOHN PATTERSON: 53%

May 23: Oregon (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 55%
HENRY JACKSON: 45%

Rhode Island (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 57%
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 43%

“This is it. If McGovern wins these, he’s the nominee. I’m saddened about Barry, but I’ve already decided on my vice-presidential nominee.”
Robert’s diary, June 5

June 6: California (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 50%
HENRY JACKSON: 5%

New Jersey (D)
HUBERT HUMPHREY: 53%

New Mexico (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: 37%
JOHN PATTERSON: 35%
HENRY JACKSON: 23%

South Dakota (D)
GEORGE MCGOVERN: ACCLAIMED

“Senator McGovern is now the presumptive Democratic nominee, and anxious voters must await his and President Kennedy’s selection of their running mates.”
NBC broadcast, June 10, 1972

Until the next posting…

Author’s note: Just because Karl’s antics aren’t mentioned doesn’t mean they did not, or will not, occur.