Dual Hull Warships

I think this is the right place to post this, forgive me if it's not.

Does anyone know anything about theoretical ideas for dual hulled warships once or twice I've seen stuff about a larger Carrier using two hulls like a catamaran even as far back as ww2
Fictional example: http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/nibai_f.htm

However I also heard about a thought to do the same to Heavy cruisers to allow for heavier guns and increased speed.

So is there anything out there either real or fictional people know of?

Delta Force

Banned
There are a few multihulled ship designs currently in service. The DPRK navy has the experimental Soho class catamaran, while the USN's Independence class littoral combat ship is a trimaran. There are probably more, those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
There is a fictional one I know. Apparently, it doesn't work.

CSBowmancilleLASCS1sm.gif

I once saw an artists impression of a trimaran carrier (there's a couple of pictures on google I think). On a more realistic note RV Triton was probably the first trimaran to be tested by any navy. She was later retired and sold to the Australians as a customs vessel. The PLAN has a class (Houbei class) of catamaran missile boats.

NothingNow

Banned
There are a few multihulled ship designs currently in service. The DPRK navy has the experimental Soho class catamaran, while the USN's Independence class littoral combat ship is a trimaran. There are probably more, those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head.

There's also Sea Fighter, Sea Shadow, Planet, and a ton of SWATH research vessels. Along with some Incats used by the USN as small transports.

While I doubt it's really useful for warships over 500', it is a good way to increase hull speed and stability over conventional designs.