Dracula, the Scourge of God defeats the Ottomans

Europe--perhaps Eurasia in general--maybe dodged a major bullet in 1462, when Sultan Mehmet II himself invaded Wallachia to deal with an uppity local named Vlad Tepes. Technically Mehmet's invasion was a failure, since he really did little other than burn a couple of cities and failed to get hands on Vlad. But it could have gone much worse.

This is the TL where the "much worse" occurred.

Vlad's celebrated "Night Attack" on June 17, 1462 failed to kill the Sultan and cost Drac many of his men, but it was after this point that the Turkish campaign began to falter. While moving deeper into Wallachia to apprehend Tepes, Mehmet and his men ran into a successful bit of psych-ops planted by Vlad: the remnants of the previous Turkish army that tanged with Vlad, 20000+ soldiers impaled. In a moutain pass not far from Târgovişte, Mehmet made his decision to turn back to Constantinople.

But that stuff happend in OTL. What if Vlad managed to ambush Mehmet in that mountain pass?

A cornered army fighting for its life is probably the most dangerous kind, but for the purposes of this scenario it doesn't matter--Vlad wins, and wins big. That horrific forest of impaled corpses grows by 70,000 or more men, including Sultan Mehmet, whose attempts to reason with and/or bribe Vlad with "wealth beyond imagination" are met by sarcastic cackling. Before Mehmet goes on the stake, Vlad promises him that his harem and all of his sons will meet the same fate.

News of Mehmet's death has scarcely made it to Constantinople when the city finds the Wallachian army bearing down upon it. Vlad wasted no time in pressing his advantage, his army rushing across Bulgaria and Thrace to make a crushing surprise attack on the Ottoman “mainland.” (Vlad met little opposition in Bulgaria because the land was still recovering from him ravaging it the year before—the very reason the Turks invaded Wallachia in the first place!). One of the gates experiences “technical difficulties,” fails to close properly—and it’s all over for Constantinople. Vlad, in his usual way, simply kills everyone inside the city who fail to take shelter in Christian churches.

The retaking of Constantinople wasn't Vlad's only victory in his blitzkreig campaign through Bulgaria--he also defeats the janissaries commanded by his Muslim brother, Radu (Radu commanded only a measley 4000 or so troops). Brother Radu joins 50,000 or so others on a forest of stakes outside Constantinople, including--as he promised--most of Mehmet's harem. He fails to capture any of Mehmet's sons, however, who escape into Anatolia.

Vlad crosses into Anatolia and re-enacts the "scorched earth" policies he pursued in Bulgaria, slaughtering every Muslim in sight (and more than a few Christians as well, since who lives and who dies mostly depends on his mood for the day) and burning what his army doesn't take. The Ottoman forces mostly attempt to regroup at the old capital of Bursa, and then retreat east of the Sakarya River when it becomes obvious that Vlad is moving faster than they thought. Vlad sacks Bilecik, then Bursa, and finally gets as far as Eskisehir before he turns back to Constantinople.

So, what happens next?

Last edited:
Vlad's "conquered territories" ("devastated" would be a better adjective) look something like this:

Vlad being red, Ottomans green.

After his activities in Anatolia (which probably took a year or so) he heads back to clean up the mess in Bulgaria, and later Wallachia itself. He had a fair number of enemies among the boyars of Wallachia who felt he was undermining their authority, and actually chose to support Radu. Would Vlad face a rebellion in Wallachia, or would the boyars decide to kiss some Vlad ass instead?

In OTL, Vlad had the support of the Saxons in Romania, the Genoans, and the Pope. This support would only be intensified if Vlad had re-taken Constantinople.

There was some bad blood between Vlad and the Hungarian Prince--would Vlad head north with impaling in mind?

EmpireofVlad.jpg

Last edited:
Love the concept of a Vlad-wank!

Don't know the time well enough to judge possiblities.

Might do some reading to guess what could happen next.

Would definetly follow this if you continue a TL!!

I stopped reading after the hypothetical invasion of Anatolia-Proper. It would be suicide for Wallachia, a nation lacking any navy of significance, to cross over the Straits into Ottoman Heartlands. Nevermind that his army would be suffering.

Think of it this way - he ambushes those Turks back in Impalement Pass and wins, sure. But even as you said, those guys will be fighting tooth and nail - and despite what you say, it would matter afterwards. Vlad wins BIG, sure, but his men are bloodied, tired, and one might question the logistics overall.

Now let's go straight into morale. Lots of them will say "Hell yeah, those guys will never come back now!" while others - like your proposed Vlad response - will say "Hell yeah, now let's be after them while they're down!" They will be torn; these boys are content to fight so long as they're defending their homes. Indeed, that is why they've been so adept at winning so far. Should they really step out of their sanctuary?

Now I mentioned logistics, and herein lies a BIG problem for your scenario. Vlad rushes his just-victorious (and just-bloodied) army across all of Bulgaria and Thrace and just so happens to catch Constantinople off guard? A city which, no doubt just weeks before, watched the Sultan march off with tens of thousands of men. Surprised, sure, and startled, but those aren't just paper walls there. Those are some of the toughest defenses in the Old World for centuries. Does Vlad - master of psych-guerilla warfare - have siege equipment? The city CAN be taken by the one lucky gate, but its going to be a bloody affair, even if the city is under-defended. That's a nasty chokepoint for anyone.

And that's assuming he has the food, boots, and weapon supply to make that mad-dash across some of the least pleasant terrain in Southern Europe outside the Alps.

But let's say he does manage to do that, he takes Constantinople with a - surely by now - very bloodied and very tired army. What then? Invasion of Anatolia? F*@# NO! Vlad would end up with a sword in his back for even suggesting it. Not only would it be logistically and militarily impossible for him at this stage, but he just sacked on of the most illustrious cities in Europe. Why leave?

Don't get me wrong, the idea intrigues me, but these are some things which must be considered. And other things, such as how will the Catholic world react as opposed to the Islamic world?

Well this is very cool. Ill be following this, although i dont have enough knowledge to comment much.

I do think that Wallachia expanded way too quickly and impossibly here though.

The Great Plague of 1464

(inspired by the Plague of Justinian, many centuries earlier...)

At the beginning of the year 1464, the fortunes of the Ottomans began to wax once again. One by one, Vlad's garrisons west of the Sakarya River began to fall to Turkish forces. Worst of all, plague broke out in Constantinople, killing most of the Wallachian troops stationed there.

But by March, it was becoming clear that God once again was inflicting punishment upon the Turks, because the plague of Constantinople was spreading throughout Anatolia, especially along the major cities of the western and north coasts. The plague even appeared in Armenia, the Crimea, and Jerusalem. While hardly as deadly as the Great Mortality of a century before, it still killed 12-14% of the population in the infected areas.

What happened? Since the causes of plague wouldn't be understood for at least another four centuries, the Ottoman's had no idea when they siezed the grain stores left behind by Vlad for his troops (grain mostly taken by Vlad from the Anatolian peasants he killed) that they'd also be siezing the sizeable rat populations those grain stores made possible. And with rats came fleas, and with fleas came the Plague...

The Plague of 1464 made only limited forays into Europe, since most of the main trade routes linking Asia with the West had been destroyed two years earlier...

(more to come)

I don't know how plausible this is, but the idea of a psychopathic Transylvanian going out to carve out a nice little empire because his cruelty scares everyone is very cool.

This seems pretty ASB to me. Partly because in OTL vlad killed a lot more peasants than he ever did soldiers and in the end his country was utterly crushed by the Ottoman armies, which had more men, better logistics, and more financial support.

Besides that, even if he somehow manages to survive a war with the Ottomans, it's almost impossible for him to reach Constantinople, let alone take the city. Then for him to go into Anatolia and start ravaging the place? Logistics would be impossible, and he would probably have enough trouble keeping control over everything he just miraculously managed to conquer.

I stopped reading after the hypothetical invasion of Anatolia-Proper. It would be suicide for Wallachia, a nation lacking any navy of significance, to cross over the Straits into Ottoman Heartlands. Nevermind that his army would be suffering.

Think of it this way - he ambushes those Turks back in Impalement Pass and wins, sure. But even as you said, those guys will be fighting tooth and nail - and despite what you say, it would matter afterwards. Vlad wins BIG, sure, but his men are bloodied, tired, and one might question the logistics overall.

Now let's go straight into morale. Lots of them will say "Hell yeah, those guys will never come back now!" while others - like your proposed Vlad response - will say "Hell yeah, now let's be after them while they're down!" They will be torn; these boys are content to fight so long as they're defending their homes. Indeed, that is why they've been so adept at winning so far. Should they really step out of their sanctuary?

Now I mentioned logistics, and herein lies a BIG problem for your scenario. Vlad rushes his just-victorious (and just-bloodied) army across all of Bulgaria and Thrace and just so happens to catch Constantinople off guard? A city which, no doubt just weeks before, watched the Sultan march off with tens of thousands of men. Surprised, sure, and startled, but those aren't just paper walls there. Those are some of the toughest defenses in the Old World for centuries. Does Vlad - master of psych-guerilla warfare - have siege equipment? The city CAN be taken by the one lucky gate, but its going to be a bloody affair, even if the city is under-defended. That's a nasty chokepoint for anyone.

And that's assuming he has the food, boots, and weapon supply to make that mad-dash across some of the least pleasant terrain in Southern Europe outside the Alps.

But let's say he does manage to do that, he takes Constantinople with a - surely by now - very bloodied and very tired army. What then? Invasion of Anatolia? F*@# NO! Vlad would end up with a sword in his back for even suggesting it. Not only would it be logistically and militarily impossible for him at this stage, but he just sacked on of the most illustrious cities in Europe. Why leave?

Don't get me wrong, the idea intrigues me, but these are some things which must be considered. And other things, such as how will the Catholic world react as opposed to the Islamic world?

Excellent points, all. I myself was bothered by the idea of a successful Anatolian invasion, but sort of needed the idea for a "Vladwank." If I'm going to win against say, Mike Tyson, I might want to put a bullet in him before we go mano-a-mano. The scorched earth in Anatolia would be the "bullet" in this case.

I had the idea that following the (unlikely, I know, but I've read similar RL scenarios in military history) sacking of Constantinople that the gobsmacked Turks would retreat a ways from the city in order to recoup; I also had the understanding that crossing from Constantinople into Asia was a relatively easy affair not requiring much in the way of a navy.

I'll need to think on the logistics. It's midnight here, so see you all in the morrow...

Excellent points, all. I myself was bothered by the idea of a successful Anatolian invasion, but sort of needed the idea for a "Vladwank." If I'm going to win against say, Mike Tyson, I might want to put a bullet in him before we go mano-a-mano. The scorched earth in Anatolia would be the "bullet" in this case.

I had the idea that following the (unlikely, I know, but I've read similar RL scenarios in military history) sacking of Constantinople that the gobsmacked Turks would retreat a ways from the city in order to recoup; I also had the understanding that crossing from Constantinople into Asia was a relatively easy affair not requiring much in the way of a navy.

I'll need to think on the logistics. It's midnight here, so see you all in the morrow...

The intact Ottoman fleet would beg to differ...

The intact Ottoman fleet would beg to differ...

Might Venice (or perhaps other Italians) be able to lend a hand with that sort of thing? Venice in particular has no affinity for the Ottomans, and opening Venetian trade through the Bosporus would be extremely valuable.

If nothing else, helping the Impaler relieves the pressure on Venetian possessions in the Eastern Med.

1) Vlad Conquering Costantinople? I'ma afraid it is a bit ASVB (Alien Space Vampire Bat)

Might Venice (or perhaps other Italians) be able to lend a hand with that sort of thing? Venice in particular has no affinity for the Ottomans, and opening Venetian trade through the Bosporus would be extremely valuable.
Adctually the Ottoman empire was the main trading partner with Venice, and the trade through the Bosporus was already wide open for St. Mark ships.
Sure, they often waged war, too, but most of times not even that was sufficient to block trades. Heck, most of the Istabul warfleet ships had lanterns purchased in venice.

Don Grey

Banned
Vlad's "conquered territories" ("devastated" would be a better adjective) look something like this:

Vlad being red, Ottomans green.

After his activities in Anatolia (which probably took a year or so) he heads back to clean up the mess in Bulgaria, and later Wallachia itself. He had a fair number of enemies among the boyars of Wallachia who felt he was undermining their authority, and actually chose to support Radu. Would Vlad face a rebellion in Wallachia, or would the boyars decide to kiss some Vlad ass instead?

In OTL, Vlad had the support of the Saxons in Romania, the Genoans, and the Pope. This support would only be intensified if Vlad had re-taken Constantinople.

There was some bad blood between Vlad and the Hungarian Prince--would Vlad head north with impaling in mind?

First i was intrested. Thinking you were going to make a independent walachia i figured that would be hard so i wonder how and read on then i saw your map which killed it. I was going to explain how it rediculasly impossible it was but Troyer IV and New Patomic already did.

But there is something missing. I dont think vlad can even get to thracia let alone to the capital. Even if you kill mehmet and destroy the army there are garrisons troops and muslims in bulgaria and istanbul isnt empty either. Defeating the ottoman army will take alot out of walachia and the fact that if you kill the sultan and be right next to istanbul threatening it the ottos will just keep coming and coming after walachia driven by revenge (remember vlad killed the man who conqoured istanbul). How long can walachia stand against the ottoman onslaught. Walachia can niether match the man power or the funds required to stave of the ottos.

What you can do is get an independent walachia under vlad and through time and victory and through the help of ASB's you cant expand walachia into a formidable size then maybe you can move onto istanbul. Your just moving to fast. Im not saying it cant be done. If you use asb's make alot of things go right for walachia and bad for the ottos then through time walachia can make seriouse gains.But you cant march on to istanbul your not a nomadic hord you have to think of the logistics. Also you would have to deal with the hungarians aswell as other balkan factions.You need more land and people to have enough funds and man power to fight the ottos but how many power can little old walachia fight. Beat the hungarians conquer the balkans and muster a force big enough to fight the ottos and this is all assuming the ottos hungarian and other factions of the balkans sit by doing nothing as vlad forges his empire right under there noses. And moving to anatolia is out of the question with out destroying the ottoman fleet. Venice a naval power of the time cant completly accomplish this along with other christian navies how is walachia with her non exsistant navy going to do it?

I love the idea! Vlad-wank! :D

That said, like others have pointed out there's a lot of issues to consider. A surprise sack of C-town might be possible, though holding it is doubtful and invading Anatolia is nigh-impossible for the reasons others have already stated.

Still, you could have a plausible if very lucky scenario where they defeat the OE in Wallachia and then he leads part of the army to c-town, the gate fubars, and they go Goth on Nova Roma. (get it? Dracula? Vampires? Goth? *rimshot*)

Now, looting ditching C-town and heading back to Wallachia to get away from a massive OE counteroffensive (with tired troops eager to get home) he's now got wealth out the ass and serious cred with the Christian heads of state for bloodying the heretic nose. From here, wealth and alliances can be played to make a more powerful and influential Wallachian kingdom as a future springboard for a serious Wallachowank under the helm of the Dracul Dynasty. Eventual alliances with Venice or such offer future possibilities against Anatolia, perhaps. Perhaps we see Vlad VII (or whatever) as Czar of some great Romanian Empire.

So...perhaps you could have this POD as the start for a longer-tern "Wank of the House Dracul". That would be a kick-ass TL.

I love the idea! Vlad-wank! :D

Is there anyone who doesn't like Vlad the Impaler?

Besides the impalees, I mean.

Now, looting ditching C-town and heading back to Wallachia to get away from a massive OE counteroffensive (with tired troops eager to get home) he's now got wealth out the ass and serious cred with the Christian heads of state for bloodying the heretic nose. From here, wealth and alliances can be played to make a more powerful and influential Wallachian kingdom as a future springboard for a serious Wallachowank under the helm of the Dracul Dynasty. Eventual alliances with Venice or such offer future possibilities against Anatolia, perhaps. Perhaps we see Vlad VII (or whatever) as Czar of some great Romanian Empire.
Would there be an effective Ottoman counteroffensive with the Sultan dead and Constantinople gutted? The war might continue, but the Sublime Porte is going to need to know who's in charge (and who's a legitimate heir to Mehmet), and there's going to be some time before they get over the shock and confusion of Vlad's lightning campaign.

Then there's the horrible weakness this sort of thing broadcasts to any potential Ottoman enemies, regardless of how true it might be. It'd be a great time to press (or invent) claims against the Turks against the backdrop of chaos and cinders in the Queen of Cities.

Finally, there's the matter of long-term Ottoman power. As we've been repeatedly and consistently taught by AHP and others, the foundation of Ottoman strength was in the Balkans, not Anatolia. ITTL, Thrace and other lands south of the Danube are going to be subject to a longer period of raids and looting by Wallachia (and maybe others). If Vlad gains the southern banks of the Danube and such in whatever peace emerges, he'll have an empty(-ish) land to settle with his loyal nobility. Given the great prestige gained by Vlad (and perhaps support by other powers), expansion of his domains by marriage or conquest elsewhere isn't impossible either.

The Ottomans certainly ought to recover from this without losing Constantinople in the immediate future, but might this war and its aftermath cause a shift in Ottoman focus to Anatolia and the Aegean?

I think Vlad Tepes would probably be unable to go too deep into Ottoman imperial lands though I am sure he can inflict a heavy blow to the Turks. Conquering Anatolia does not seem possible at this date and probably wouldn't make much of a difference. By the late fifteenth century, the Ottomans were essentially a Balkan state. Their main base of power was in the Balkans where there was a steadily growing Turkic Muslim settler population so I expect massive slaughter of the population should areas go under the administration of Wallachia. He can probably consider putting a strong claim to the title of Emperor of the Greeks.

Is there anyone who doesn't like Vlad the Impaler?

Besides the impalees, I mean.

raises hand.

But I have to wonder, would sacking Constantinople actually increase his support abroad? Sure, it's the capital of the Ottomans, but the city is quite important to Christendom as well.