Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood; The Return of Richard Nixon

Preface
Only if you have been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain. - Richard Nixon.
image.png

If there is ever a man who can claim the title of the one I am so endlessly fascinated by, it is Richard Nixon. The boy from Yorba Linda, the snappy anti-communist senator, the down and out disgraced V.P, the New Nixon, the egregious president, the ratfucker, the once-again disgraced former President, and then there's Nixon the Elder Statesman. The advisor. This is where I will focus on in this story. What if Nixon's rehabilitation post-presidency was better? What if it came quicker? What if Nixon's sway came back? Now, there has already been a timeline which has had a similar concept, The Third Coming of Nixon by Apocatequil. Now this is a good timeline as is, but it goes in one direction, one where Nixon takes a direct role. Whereas, I want to explore the idea of Nixon's power being elsewhere, being exhumed in greater force in the places he wanted to.

Now Claudius, you're probably asking, how the hell do you rehabilitate Nixon quicker?? To that I say, we go back to the Frost Interviews. Nixon, for lack of a better term, got walloped. He had spent two years in the wilderness, and had planned his great comeback, another New Nixon, but he got the journalistic equivalent of a sucker-punch thanks to David Frost pressing him hard on Watergate, his cockups, and how this was blatantly an attempt to save face. To start, we have to go back there. This is not about saving Nixon's legacy or is it turning him into some foreboding villain of American politics (to a degree at least), it's about the idea of Richard Nixon, what he represented, who he was, and how he was perceived. You all know Richard Milhous Nixon, who he was, what he was like, so I will not waste my or your time reexplaining what has been ceaselessly examined, discussed and displayed about America's 37th President. I recently had the great pleasure of reading three books, all on or around Nixon. Richard Nixon: The Life by John A. Farrell, Nixonland by Rick Perlstein and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson. All of them display Nixon from several different viewpoints and areas in his life, but only the first displays Nixon the Elder Statesman, that final character he reinvented himself into following Watergate.

This is definitely the biggest task I have undertaken. Saving Richard Nixon. The man who is still the textbook corrupt major politician in America, considered one of the worst because of his actions, even with the cross-examinations. But I believe it is possible. There are so many routes and ways Nixon could go, as seen with Apocatequil's timeline, but also others. Would he have tried to take a direct role, or preferred to stay in the shadows, influencing behind the backs of other men? Hard to say, especially with a man as convoluted as Tricky Dick. That being said, this is not a stab in the dark, I have and will write this story with the research I have undertaken in mind, and, I hope dearly that whomever reads this finds it enjoyable. Would Richard Nixon for certain have done the things he will in this story in real life? Maybe, maybe not, but damn if I won't attempt to make it entertaining.

The central race in the world today is neither an arms race nor a space race. It is the race between man and change. The central question is whether we are to be the master of events, or the pawn of events. - Richard Nixon

Richard Nixon had a kind of Walter Mitty fantasy life. He was a man with a grandiose thoughts: dreams of not simply being president but maybe becoming one of the truly great presidents of American history. - Robert Dallek

Prologue: The Arena
There's an idea of the man in the arena. A man who's tasted victory and suffered the sting of defeat. A man who's felt the weight of the world on his shoulders and the harsh glare of the public eye. Richard Nixon knows this man well, for he's lived a lifetime in that arena. You can even argue that he's the man in the arena. But the arena changes. Checkers, the Dragon Lady, 1960, 1962, Vietnam, 1972, et cetera. And he has clawed back each time. A New Nixon, each time. Watergate, it's tendrils seeping into America's consciousness, calls for another New Nixon.

May 4, 1977
The camera lights flickered on, casting a glow over the face of Richard Nixon, the disgraced President, one of the most disliked men in politics, the crook. Across the table, David Frost adjusted his tie, a mask of journalistic poise concealing his giddiness. This was his moment. The culmination of endless negotiations, late-night calls with Nixon's emissaries, and the hefty price tag he had willingly paid for the privilege of interrogating the former president. The major networks had decried it as checkbook journalism, but Frost saw it as his shot at journalistic immortality.

Frost began with a calculated smile. "Mr. Nixon, we're here to discuss your time as President and, of course, the events leading to your resignation."

Nixon leaned back, his eyes sharp. "Let's get to it, David. Fire away."

Frost opened with a question designed to pierce the armor of Nixon's carefully constructed narrative. "Mr. Nixon, the American people want to hear it from you. Do you take responsibility for the Watergate scandal?"

Nixon, however, was not one to cower. He squared his shoulders and met Frost's gaze with a measured intensity. "David, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I take responsibility for the mistakes made during my administration, but I also believe in the bigger picture, in the accomplishments that should not be overshadowed."

Frost, undeterred, pressed on. "But, sir, the nation demands answers. How can you justify the abuse of power that took place under your watch?"

Nixon's eyes gleamed, a glint of the old political fox surfacing. "Abuse of power, David? Don't let me be misunderstood here. In the political arena, tough decisions are made. Mistakes are made. But my intentions were always rooted in serving the American people." Frost attempted to corner Nixon, and Nixon was parrying each question with the finesse of a seasoned statesman. Frost was growing more desperate, Nixon more resolute.

Then came the moment.

Frost, sensing an opening, unleashed a barrage of pointed questions, hoping to catch Nixon off guard. With a knowing smile, Nixon launched into a meticulously crafted monologue.

"You see, David, it's easy to cherry-pick moments and cast judgments in hindsight. But consider the context, the challenges we faced. Watergate was a tragedy, but it doesn't define the entirety of my presidency. Look at the policies, the initiatives that shaped this nation. You can't reduce a man's legacy to one mistake."

He had prepared for this, and his preparations left Frost momentarily speechless.

Frost, realizing the ground slipping beneath him, attempted a final gambit. "But, Mr. Nixon, the people need more than words. They need accountability. How can they trust a leader who allowed such corruption?"

Nixon's response was eloquent. "Trust is earned through actions, not just words. I may have stumbled, but I've also stood tall. I've dedicated my life to public service, and in the face of adversity, I've chosen to rise."

And rise he did. There would be one more taped interview the following day, and despite nothing of note occurring during it, the damage was done. Nixon's performance, a blend of cunning and finesse, had redefined the narrative, at least in some circles. The Washington Post ran a headline that read, "Nixon's Resurgence?" Resurgence indeed. One man who did not enjoy this inkling of coverage for the former President was Hunter Thompson. The day following the Op-ed, Thompson wrote a paper aptly titled "HE IS STILL A CROOK." A tirade into 'America's disgusting obsession with a sniveling rat who we keep letting back in.', among other things. Nixon was still loathed by many, sure, but as time kept ticking along and the Carter Presidency began to stumble, alongside rising gas prices at the pump, people began to look back on Nixon. That's all he needed, out of Watergate and his resignation, Richard Nixon would be birthed anew.

So Nixon is able to rebuild his political image and maybe become a big behind-the-scenes political influence. Sounds pretty promising!

I: In Hell I'll Be In Good Company
Richard knows he's never going to hold elected office ever again. That's a given. But the world needs a steady hand still, and he must be the guide, it deserves no less. But first, he's going to make some moves.

First came the memoirs, RN. It came out with a small announcement, but he didn't need a big one, the media did it for him. Gore Vidal and Merv Griffin speaking at-length on Nixon, the former noting America's supposed obsession with the former President. "I miss him, as you know, I'm an addict." jokes Vidal, "I knew he was going to be coming back." But behind the comedic accolades on late-night TV about the supposed return of the madman, there was a dread. A great beast was making it's way back to Washington.

Second came Nixon's visit with Deng Xiaoping in the White House. Nixon could sense Carter's grimace when he arrived on the steps of the White House. Deng was insisting that Nixon be invited. At first, Carter refused, he saw the potential negative press as a threat to his already on the rocks popularity, but he also needed this. Continued deals with China was the goal, and if Nixon needed to be there, so be it. The meeting was the first Deng had made to America, and he seemed much more jovial with Nixon than Carter, and spoke to him for most of the night. This was the first big return of Nixon, his first big exhume of power. Americans had seen Nixon in bits before now, the interview, the memoir, et cetera. But here he was, back in the White House, smiling with foreign leaders, making them laugh. You'd be mistaken for thinking it was 1970 again.

Third came tours. Across the country, across the world, Nixon would speak or write at first to whoever would accept him. Soon it became campuses, lectures, galas, places with actual weight. It turned from small get-togethers with old Republicans who mused on their fears over that Governor in California being too radical for the party to actual engagements. They mused on how things were getting worse - how opportunities were drying up. They talked afterward about how good the Nixon-era was, how they brought him down with the might of congressional authority. Hecklers would also dry up, and soon, Nixon would be speaking to crowds of supporters once again.

To be honest, nobody really knew what to make of the Great Return of Richard Nixon, as so put by the aforementioned Vidal. He wasn't necessarily back in the limelight, and folks like Thompson of course wrote plethoras of op-eds on him being truly evil, conniving, etc. But the media, in their feigned confusion, took an interest in him. He was good for press. How can Nixon come back? they ask. How can such a man with such complications rebuild himself? Little were they aware, giving such press to the man was only doing two things. Humanising him, and expanding his outreach. When most national media is reporting on the release of someone's memoirs or speeches to Universities or travels overseas, it does wonders for publicity. This was not what they heard of Nixon back in '74, he was making America proud again. He was working with allies, making deals in foreign policy, being a hard-worker. To the average joe, that was more than what President Carter was doing, with his focuses on energy policy and floundering on the world stage. Nixon was beginning to represent, whether intentionally or not, a sort of nostalgia for his own tenure. When the campaigns for 1980 started getting into gear, Nixon was off in Europe, speaking on the need for international co-operation. He did not make any official endorsement throughout 1978 and 1979, but secretly, he was making preparations.

iu

“Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while, a great wind carries me across the sky.” - Ojibwe saying.

November 15th, 1979.
The headlines screamed about Ronald Reagan's recent announcement of his presidential bid. Nixon, seated in a dimly lit room, seethed with an anger that had long brewed beneath the surface. Reagan, too radical, too simplistic – a man without the nuanced mind. Nixon's thoughts drifted to Pat. Where was Pat? The question flickered briefly, ah, who cares where Pat is? Nixon took a sip of Scotch, the bitterness on his tongue mirroring the bitterness in his heart. A determined gleam lit up his eyes. Standing up, he spilled his scotch – a careless gesture. He paid it no mind, calmly pouring himself a second glass.

The telephone on the side table beckoned, and with a decisive sip, Nixon reached for it, dialing Connally's number. Connally's good, easy, stable.

"Richard, good to hear from you," Connally greeted, his tone friendly and familiar.

Nixon, poring over a collection of papers, smiled in response. "John, my boy, always a pleasure. I've been watching Reagan's theatrics on the television. The man's no good, too out there. But he doesn't know the game like we do."

Connally chuckled. "You always had a knack, Richard."

Nixon's grin widened, genuine admiration in his voice. "John, you're a seasoned player. I've always appreciated that about you."

Connally, appreciative of the praise, replied, "Well, I've learned from the best."

The conversation, initially cordial, took a sharp turn as Nixon's bitterness surfaced. "John, let's cut to the chase. I can help you, but it's not for free. We both know Reagan is too radical, too unpredictable. I've got insights that can steer you clear of his shadow, but it comes with a condition."

Connally, momentarily caught off guard, paused for a moment, before responding cautiously, "What kind of condition are you talking about?"

Nixon's voice, once warm, turned heavy. "I want assurances, John. A commitment. You get my help, and in return, when the time comes, you repay it. Simple as that."

There was a pause on the line, Connally sighed, "Alright, Richard. We've got a deal...but what are you gonna do?"

"That's not important." replied Nixon coldly. "What matters is when the trigger is pulled, you're able to move into his corner. Can you do that?"

Connally responded in kind. "I can play it round or I can play it flat, just tell me how to play it."[1]

Nixon's gush returned. "Good man, I'll be in touch, goodnight, John."

The phone clicked off, and so did the audio recorder. Across the country, in Austin, Connally felt a tinge of cautious optimism. He couldn't deny it, his campaign had been on the rocks for a while, but now he had a second wind. If Nixon wants a job, or some command over policy, it's a pill he can swallow. Meanwhile, Nixon called Liddy, he'd just been released, actually.

"Gordon, do you still have the tapes with Reagan?" Nixon asked.

"Sure do, whaddya want with them?" replied Liddy, his voice in it's usual pep-ness.

"Give 'em over to the press, CNN, NBC, whoever, all of those lib reporters. Tell them you're a leaker, whatever. There has to be something on there that can crush Reagan." he mused, before adding on a second part. "Oh, and cut the parts where I'm speaking, say you don't know who he's talking to. Make him look like a kook, it tanked him in '76, it can tank him again."

Liddy agreed, and Nixon hung up, placing the phone back down and returning to his chair. Reagan's rise must be stopped, and if Nixon gets his way, it will be.

[1]. This is an actual quote from Connally, he said it back in 1970 and it was seemingly a quote of his he liked to use. Yes, he literally liked to boast that he had no morals, and actually said it in reference to asking for SecTres or SecState, which he were the only positions he'd accept. What a guy.

Last edited:
Oh I will be *watching* this!! Very excited. The TL that serves as your inspiration is one of my absolute favorites. And this looks like a very good contribution to the Nixon AH literature.

Definitely watched, wonder if Reagan's career will be crushed ITTL, tho I think he will still prevail since he's the most charismatic guy on the field, perhaps he does pick Conally as his VP ITTL idk

Oh I will be *watching* this!! Very excited. The TL that serves as your inspiration is one of my absolute favorites. And this looks like a very good contribution to the Nixon AH literature.
thank you!! you were one of the original inspirations for me actually putting this timeline together outside of random ideas.

thank you!! you were one of the original inspirations for me actually putting this timeline together outside of random ideas.

Thank you :) If this goes in the direction I think it is, you'll also be doing a heap of justice to the narrative surrounding the 1980 primaries. Connally was on the verge of being a major force in that race until he stepped in it.

Definitely watched, wonder if Reagan's career will be crushed ITTL, tho I think he will still prevail since he's the most charismatic guy on the field, perhaps he does pick Conally as his VP ITTL idk
You'll just have to wait and see!! but what as to what does happen, its kind of wild and is not really what you'd expect.

Thank you :) If this goes in the direction I think it is, you'll also be doing a heap of justice to the narrative surrounding the 1980 primaries. Connally was on the verge of being a major force in that race until he stepped in it.
Yeah from what I basically got is that
- Crane was kind of ignorant for assuming Reagan wouldn't run
- Connally was a major force up until he flopped
- Bush was too aloof
- Anderson too pure (came from being pretty right tbh), but he was never going to have a chance anyway
- Dole too boring
- Rest too minor to acknowledge though Fernandez was an interesting one

I also partially believe Ford didn't want to be VP, and only made those bizarre co-presidency demands to get Reagan off his case.