Dollar gets a make over

It'd be pretty easy done if the coin-bill issue was made a partisan political issue, then it would get done out of spite. It wouldn't matter which way it went, one argument could be 'progressive' Dems wanting the change while 'conservative' Reps wanting to conserve the current order or alternatively the fiscally responsible Reps wanting the change and the big spending Dems wanting the more expensive option.

Get this argument going and in the spiteful, virtue-signalling US political climate these days it'd be an easy win for whichever side backs the change. By the time of the next election Americans would be used to it and not care.

It is hard to make people care that much. It is one thing to make abortion a big issue and another to make dollar bills one. Nobody cares enough about it to be a major issue. Whether the US has dollar bills or dollar coins is not a big enough a deal to be a huge partisan issue. Why waste time and energy on that? There are far bigger concerns out there to worry about it. It isn't going to happen because bills are easier to carry then coins.

Last edited:
Ah yes the convenience of thumbing through 17 badly worn $1 bills before you find the badly worn twenty, then trying to buy a Pepsi at a machine and having all 17 of the $1 bills be too worn for the machine to accept. As a Canadian I really hate the American shopping experience.
As opposed to finding a dollar coin among 12 pennies, 6 nickels , 7 dimes and 9 quarters. Not a big difference there except bills are easier to carry. The vending machines I will grant you.

I'd suggest the opposite, strippers (and hospitality staff) would graduate to $2 and $5 bills while beggars would graduate to $1 coins, it'd be a great wealth redistribution! ;)

I've heard from completely third-party and totally unconfirmed accounts that at certain establishments of such low moral character in the UK, they go round with an empty pint and ask patrons to put their coins in to show appreciation for the (unconfirmed) entertainment on stage.

Which, you may say, strikes one as less fun. I couldn't possibly comment

Last edited:
I've heard from completely third-party and totally unconfirmed accounts that at certain establishments of such law moral character in the UK, they go round with an empty pint and ask patrons to put their coins in to show appreciation for the (unconfirmed) entertainment on stage.

Which, you may say, strikes one as less fun. I couldn't possibly comment
What the punters are to cheap to spring for a few fivers? Must be in the south.

Riain

Banned
It is hard to make people care that much. It is one thing to make abortion a big issue and another to make dollar bills one. Nobody cares enough about it to be a major issue. Whether the US has dollar bills or dollar coins is not a big enough a deal to be a huge partisan issue. Why waste time and energy on that? There are far bigger concerns out there to worry about it. It isn't going to happen because bills are easier to carry then coins.

I don't deny the coin-bill is a minor issue, but I'd think it is exactly the kind of issue to be picked up in the bullshit culture wars that seem to be hindering progress in The West. If the fringe psyhcos pick this up as an issue then I can assure you it will be jammed in your face so hard that you'll be forced to make a decision.

As opposed to finding a dollar coin among 12 pennies, 6 nickels , 7 dimes and 9 quarters. Not a big difference there except bills are easier to carry. The vending machines I will grant you.

The difference is that you know that coins are almost worthless junk and can be thrown out with little to no risk, whereas you'll never throw out what appears to be a bunch of $1 bills in case there's a $10 or $20 in there.

But the real difference is the unparalleled joy going rifling through your couch cushions, under your car seat and console the day before payday and finding enough 'goldies' that you can afford that coffee or snack. $1 coins are worthless to you until you really need them and then they're valuable beyond compare!

Ok seems to have got a little derailed with strippers being paid in coins type comments lol. Not sure where the coins get put.... 😂
But if this was done as part of Reagan's war on drugs ( so no crypto cash) what's the effect? Yes there would be a deadline but I recall reading the the cartel's had so much money they could not launder it all.
At mid level crime, I'll gotten gains need to be swapped out... So I am presuming there is a spending boom if some sort?

Dont think they could slash the value of the old bills for a long time. Only thing you really can change is that you cant pay with old money. You can still change d-mark into euros to this day at the central bank. The local banks did it for years after the euro change as well. And with dollar being such a big thing even outside the us i could see out of the us banks still changing old dollars to local currency and than funneling the old dollars into a direct exchange at the treasury for a long time. So some options to launder the money would still exist even after stopping to use them to pay.

Overall i think it wouldnt impact them to much. They might loose some stored money but the running of the cartel isnt really impacted by it as long as the amount laundered is still enough to pay everyone. And the new bills are coming in fast as well.

Also impact on other parts of the economy shouldnt happen. Bills changing to polymers didnt have any impact on the euro or the australian dollar as far as i could see. And i dont think colour changes are enough.

For the coin vs bill people, polymer bills are pretty good for vendor machines compared to the normal dollar note. Coins still reign supreme though for machines. Personally i wouldnt mind getting rid of some coin denominations in the euro. Really liked not having 1 and 2 cents in australia.

Last edited:
It has been a joke for 20 years that you can't identify different values of US currency by touch.
It is pretty standard elsewhere. Even for notes.