Dick Cheney dies during the Florida recount

MrHola

Banned
Dick Cheney has a long history of heart problems. On November 22, 2000, he suffered his fourth heart attack due to the stress of the Florida recount. Let's say that the heart attack kills him. Who would GWB pick as his VP? I know nothing about American politics, so I can't really answer this myself. What are the effects GWB's cabinet? I've read that Cheney was pretty instrumental in bringing all those neocons like Rumsfeld along. Thoughts?

Bush said in his autobiography that he almost picked John Danforth instead of Cheney in the first place. In a Cheney dies scenario I can see him turning to Danforth.

Other potential candidates were as followed, I have given a info on them and their age in 2000.

Gov. John Engler of Michigan (52) - Roman Catholic, so may have friction between United Methodist, Bush. IOTL 46th Governor of Michigan from 1991 to 2003.

Sen. Bill Frist of Tennessee (48) - Helped Bush Sr. campaign in Tennesse. IOTL Senate Majority Leader from 2003-2007

Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska (54) - A recipient of two Purple Hearts while an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam War, Hagel returned home to start careers in business and politics. IOTL he was the 24th United States Secretary of Defense under President Obama

Gov. Frank Keating of Oklahoma (56) - As governor, he oversaw the state's response to the Oklahoma City bombing, which could help if he can advice Bush to be more responsive during 9/11. IOTL He served as the 25th governor of Oklahoma from 1995 to 2003.

Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona (58) - He received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the University of Arizona. IOTL he was Senator from 1995-2013 and Senate Minority Whip from 2007-2013. In 2010, he was recognized by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world for his persuasive role in the Senate.

Sen. Connie Mack of Florida (60) - He was considered as the Vice-Presidential nominee on the GOP ticket by Bob Dole in 1996. IOTL he left the senate in 2001.

Gov. George Pataki of New York (55) - Having a new york politican in power may help during 9/11. IOTL he was the 53rd Governor of New York 1995-2006.

Gen. Colin Powell of New York (63) - He has served as National Security Advisor (1987–1989), as Commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command (1989) and as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1989–1993), holding the latter position during the Persian Gulf War. IOTL would be Secretary of State under Bush.

Gov. Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania (55) - Another Roman Catholic and served in Vietnam. IOTL He was the 43rd Governor of Pennsylvania (1995–2001), Assistant to the President for Homeland Security (2001–2003), and the first United States Secretary of Homeland Security (2003–2005).

Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee (58) - American politician, actor, attorney, lobbyist, columnist, and radio host. IOTL He served as Senator from 1994 - 2003

So really there is a fair choice.

Thomasdanforth.jpg

Here is a really good picture to use if you want Former Senator for Missouri, John Danforth, to be sworn in as Vice President.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Not sure another VP could simply be nominated, as the votes have already been cast. Aren't many electors legally bound to cast their electoral votes for the people the voted for on Election Day? Those whose states allow them to vote for whomever they wish won't be a problem, but what about the others?

President George Bush and Vice President Joe Lieberman?

Probably James Baker I suspect. Lieberman as a 'bringing the country together' (lol) choice is interesting though.

Not sure another VP could simply be nominated, as the votes have already been cast. Aren't many electors legally bound to cast their electoral votes for the people the voted for on Election Day? Those whose states allow them to vote for whomever they wish won't be a problem, but what about the others?

If the person dies after the election day, the electors can't vote for the dead person. Horace Greely died days after the 1872 election. His electors voted for other people. ITTL George W Bush would nominate someone for the Republican elector to vote for.

I'm pretty sure that in this sort of event, the electors would feel safe just defying the law and voting for whoever Bush proposed, and as long as they voted for Bush's choice, the state government would decline to prosecute them due to the special circumstances.

Gen. Colin Powell of New York (63) - He has served as National Security Advisor (1987–1989), as Commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command (1989) and as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1989–1993), holding the latter position during the Persian Gulf War. IOTL would be Secretary of State under Bush.

It would not be Colin Powell. His views on abortion would alienate much of the Republican base. There would be many Republican electors who would not vote for him.

Perhaps Lieberman may make it in by default. Cheney was being sued for being a Texas resident, and per the Constitution, no electors can cast their ballot for two people from the same state.
Besides, I could see Bush and Lieberman working well together.

I don't think Bush would choose Rumsfeld to be in his cabinet if it wasn't for Cheney, so I doubt he would be chosen for VP.

The Vice-Presidency remains vacant until 2004, as Cheney isn't there to tell W who to pick:rolleyes: John Kerry elected POTUS in 2004 due to a lack of any functioning Chief Executive (except of course for the Iraq War) over the previous four years.:p:rolleyes:;)

Why isn't this in CHAT?

MrHola

Banned
Perhaps Lieberman may make it in by default. Cheney was being sued for being a Texas resident, and per the Constitution, no electors can cast their ballot for two people from the same state.

Would Lieberman accept the job, though?

The issue of Cheney recently living in Texas would be even less relevant in this TL because it would be totally eclipsed by the issue of Cheney not living anywhere. Bush would still have a majority of electors, and unless several Republican electors went rogue, whoever he named would become Vice President. Now, if enough electors went rogue to throw it to the Senate, it's possible they could vote in Lieberman, but I imagine Lieberman, still a firm Democrat with presidential ambitions, would decline and the Democrats would approve Bush's selection for Vice President to avoid causing trouble in the Administration.

Deleted member 16736

Just a few thoughts on Bush's replacement candidate:

1) The individual is unlikely to be a U.S. Senator who will be a member of the 107th Congress; given the 50-50 split in the chamber neither party would be willing to give up a seat, least of all Bush who will be relying on every friendly face he knows to help him pass his agenda.

2) Bush is unlikely to selected a member of the House of Representatives, even (or maybe especially) the House leadership. House members who are qualified enough to pass through confirmation will either be needed on their committees or in their leadership positions. All other Representatives will be so little-known or anonymous outside of his or her own district as to require an introduction to the American people, which would a) be overshadowed by the recount crisis, b) distract Bush's transition process into the White House, or c) distract the first several months of Bush's administration.

3) It will have to be someone who is either a) uncontroversial or b) a popular enough choice that whatever controversies that person has are overshadowed by their popularity. Bush is going to want the nomination and vote to go a smoothly and quickly as possible so the process doesn't define his first 100 days in office or waste what little political capital he has.

I think Bush will most likely go for a choice that will make history. Colin Powell would be a good choice for him. An African-American who has the foreign policy and military chops that Bush lacks. He's tough to vote against for either party because of the historical nature of his nomination. Republicans are going to want to support their president, not undermine his slim mandate, and Democrats are going to vote for him because he's moderate and African-American and doing otherwise would be an extremely unpopular move.

Another choice might be Christine Todd Whitman who has the "historical moment" bonus that Powell has and wouldn't shake up Bush's potential Cabinet membership too much. (Powell at state is important, perhaps too important to lose to the vice-presidency, but EPA Administrators are more easily interchanged.) The problem is that Whitman is a politician and is less likely to get a free pass given her more partisan reputation.

The final choice would be someone who is just inherently inoffensive and whose absence wouldn't upset the power balance in congress. Connie Mack comes to mind as the top of that list. He had just retired the year before and was on Bush's shortlist for VP. A short introduction to the American people would be in order, but he would likely be confirmed quickly by both chambers of congress as he was a well known individual on the Hill.

Out of those three choices I think the order of likelihood would be: 1) Powell, 2) Mack, and 3) Whitman.

There's no reason for Bush to refrain from nominating a Senator in the states where the governor appoints them. Chuck Hagel might be nominated, for instance, since he has a moderate/maverick reputation (i.e. not controversial), and Nebraska has a Republican Governor (Mike Johanns) who'll appoint his replacement.