Democrats and Republicans: Blue and Red, or Red and Blue?

Which should it be?

• Total voters
The age-old (well, decade-old) question: On US electoral maps, should the Democrats be blue and the Republicans red, as is recent American practice, or should the Democrats be red and Republicans blue to better reflect the colors more associated with their ideologies on an international level?

If the colours were to be based on ideology, red wouldn't be very fitting for the Democrats, a liberal yellow or a liberal democratic orange would make more sense.

If the colours were to be based on ideology, red wouldn't be very fitting for the Democrats, a liberal yellow or a liberal democratic orange would make more sense.

I mean that if we based their colors on ideology and the only two options were red and blue, the Democrats would be closer to the red and the Republicans to the blue.

Well it probably should be Dems-Red/Repubs-Blue, but somehow I like it the way it is. The current color scheme I thinks helps mellow the mood as one gets less comments like "Democrats are red-commies" . Plus, it is America and we like to do our own thing.

Well it probably should be Dems-Red/Repubs-Blue, but somehow I like it the way it is. The current color scheme I thinks helps mellow the mood as one gets less comments like "Democrats are red-commies" . Plus, it is America and we like to do our own thing.
Well, I miss the days where the Whigs was around. Gold and blue looks good. Or the Progressives. Green and blue just looks... right.

The Democrats were once the more conservative party, so blue makes sense historically.

If you mean "conservative" in the sense of "maintaining as much of the status quo as humanly possibly" there's a good case that they still are. The Democrats are the ones trying to keep the social safety net intact, while Republicans want to replace it with… uh… I'll have to get back to you on that.

Democrats are the traditionally more conservative party, in addition to using blue as the effective party color today. Thus, Democrats should be blue. Republicans thus default to red, though they really should be dark blue for reactionary.

Deleted member 40957

Generally, I support Red Democrats and Blue Republicans but my mind opposes me, it prefers Blue Democrats and Red Republicans.

Isn't "your mind" you, though?

The current system works fine for me because (as noted above) the US does not have a conservative versus social democratic dynamic like many European countries; it has a conservative versus social-liberal one. It's like a UK parliament with Tories vs. Lib Dems, or a Bundestag with CDU vs FDP.

Our system doesn't match Europe's so our colors don't need to.

d32123

Banned
Republicans should be red, Democrats should be blue because otherwise it makes it seem like the Democrats are a left/labor party.

At this point it's pretty much established that the democrats are blue and the republicans are red. Though I find it ironic that, watching coverage of election night '80 on YouTube, Reagan's states were in blue. Just seems very ironic looking back that "Mr. Conservative" was given blue states.

First time I remember them doing red for the G.O.P. was in '92, IIRC. Not sure about '88.

AlexG

Banned
NBC I believe used "Red for Reagan" In the '84 landslide, And yeah America. We do our own thing.

Isn't "your mind" you, though?

The current system works fine for me because (as noted above) the US does not have a conservative versus social democratic dynamic like many European countries; it has a conservative versus social-liberal one. It's like a UK parliament with Tories vs. Lib Dems, or a Bundestag with CDU vs FDP.

Our system doesn't match Europe's so our colors don't need to.
My mind tends to read red on US electoral map as Republican, and blue Democrat.

Abhakhazia

Banned
America does there own thing, that's the whole reason the country was founded :cool:
So, Dems should be blue, GOP red.