Delayed WW2?

It has been pointed out that it was a mistake by Britain and France not to go to war against Nazi-Germany earlier. The French army was larger than the German as late as 1937, and even in 1938 France and the UK would have been in a better position to fight Germany than one year later, as Germany expanded its military forces more than its enemies during that time. Seen in hindsight, however, one might ask whether also Germany made a mistake by attacking Poland in 1940 and not wait until its relative military power compared to its enemies would be even greater, maybe one or two more years. What if they had waited until 1941?

1939/1940 was something of a sweet spot for Germany as British and French production was ramped up.

In 1940 I believe the British made more planes than the Germans. Imagine if French production for the full year was included on the ally side as well.

It has been pointed out that it was a mistake by Britain and France not to go to war against Nazi-Germany earlier. The French army was larger than the German as late as 1937, and even in 1938 France and the UK would have been in a better position to fight Germany than one year later, as Germany expanded its military forces more than its enemies during that time. Seen in hindsight, however, one might ask whether also Germany made a mistake by attacking Poland in 1940 and not wait until its relative military power compared to its enemies would be even greater, maybe one or two more years. What if they had waited until 1941?
As I understand it, the re-armament rates that France and the UK were reaching in the late 1930's were overtaking and soon going to surpass that of Germany, so waiting until the German military is actually ready for war is going to mean that not only are the UK and France also going to be more ready, they will be widening the gap of their lead, not falling further behind.

Very quick source for comparison

I also refer to the table on page 2 of this comparing British German and American tank production.

If you Google the below you should get the pdf. I can't seem to get a link.
British Tank Production and the War Economy, 1934–1945: Important Considerations for Industry†

Last edited: