Nevermind the reasons (which have been litigated at length here, please do feel free to add your thoughts there).

Say the Tories win the 1945 general election. I think it's fairly obvious to everyone (with the possible exception of Churchill) that India will be getting independence in short order. The Indian Civil Service had been thoroughly "Indianised" prior to the Second World War - I believe the figure was that by 1939 there were only 600 British civil servants left in India. The interwar Tory governments had been increasing self-rule and flirting with Dominion status for decades at this point.

However, I do think that the Tories will pursue a longer timescale - but how long? Even a moderate increase will have pretty significant impacts, in my view, but I've narrowed down some of them, listed below. Please feel free to add any other implications that you see.

Partition

Does it even still happen? If it does happen, is it changed? Jinnah was gravely ill during the run up to independence in our timeline, having been fighting tuberculosis since the 1930s. He will be dead in 1948. Lord Mountbatten later recalled that had he known how gravely ill Jinnah had been, he would have played for time with an eye toward averting Partition.

Additionally, with more time, is the Radcliffe Line altered?

Political Radicalism

Does the continued British presence in India significantly alter the political situation in India? Really I suppose this is two questions.

How does Congress react to a longer British withdrawal period?

In 1946, Congress won something like 90% of the Hindu vote in India. It was clearly the political expression of Indian nationalism. If Congress either acquiesces to the British timetable or doesn't do anything really to stop it, does this political allegiance shift, possibly with an increased Communist influence?

Post-Independence Relationship

Really, the modern Commonwealth in my view traces its roots to the decisions by India to become a Republic and the decision by Britain to rethink the Commonwealth to accommodate that. How is that impacted?

Last edited:
Will write a more detailed answer later, cause i am slightly busy right now, but with a PoD in 1945, with or without Jinnah, partition will be happening. The seeds for partition were already sown in ww1, and due to the aftermath of the Quit India Movement of 1941-43, it became nigh inevitable as the Muslims became more and more radicalized towards that step in Pakstan and to a degree, in Bengal.

of a course there are two options that a delayed Indian independence can lead to: A better partition that is much less bloody, or a even bloodier affair if the radical nationalists decide that the independence has been delayed long enough. The path that the Indians will take will largely depend on the series of events to pick one out of the two options.

If British refuse to leave India, it might lead to even rebellion in India as well as the fact both USA and USSR would be anti imperialist who would put pressure on UK to decolonize

Regarding partition, it is still in doubt on how the country would be divided,Pakistan movement had Jinnah as its spearhead but it relatively weak leaders otherwise in comparison to INC, which was comparatively loaded with great leaders and visionaries. As such Jinnah's death mught even ofset the partition though it is still up for speculation

If British refuse to leave India, it might lead to even rebellion in India as well as the fact both USA and USSR would be anti imperialist who would put pressure on UK to decolonize

Who do you believe would be doing the rebelling? Congress, or some other group?

Who do you believe would be doing the rebelling? Congress, or some other group?
The British troops who having fought a World War just want to go home. None of them are all that interested in risking their lives oppressing Indians who just want to run their own country.

The British troops who having fought a World War just want to go home. None of them are all that interested in risking their lives oppressing Indians who just want to run their own country.

Well, yes, but that's rather the point. How much of a delay is acceptable without the need for repression? I don't see Churchill accepting a "scuttle" in 1947.

However, I don't foresee even Churchill truly trying to keep India in chains. The 1945 Tory manifesto makes a reference to India becoming a Dominion, but I do think that, especially with Churchill at the helm, it will be delayed.

But to what end?

Last edited:
However, I don't foresee even Churchill truly trying to keep India in chains. The 1945 Tory manifesto makes a reference to India becoming a Dominion, but I do think that, especially with Churchill at the helm, it will be delayed.
Not for long, he might manage to delay it for a year or two but it will be before the next election. The British public will not support him if it means more of their sons dying half way around the world.

A delay would have to be one underwritten by Congress. Britain is not going to try to extend it by force.

VVD0D95

Banned
You need Aylee and Mountbatten to not rush things. Before rushed out the docks. It’s my understanding the Indian leadership thought they’d have more time to get everything sorted