Decades of Darkness

“If you speak out against me, you will split the Unionists. That is in your power,” O’Brien said. “HP Long would welcome the excuse to run an independent campaign. You will then hand the presidency to Caden. Do you want that man as president?”

“Do I want you, either?” Plutarco said. “I have not forgotten what you’ve done. I will not back a man who made slaves out of white men.”

O’Brien said, “I know what I’ve done, and I make no apologies for it. I did what I deemed best to save American lives and to protect my country’s interests. But regardless of what you think of me, do you deny that Caden would be worse?”

When were white men made slaves? I must have missed that part.

Back during the pacification of New Caledonia (OTLs British Columbia). Don't have a post number, but that's where you should look.

EDIT: Dammit Highlander.:p

Finally, Jared, it's been a wild ride. Thanks for the story. And good thing for the tales, because I'm pretty sure we don't know diddly about Bharat yet...

Have a nice sabbatical.

I find it amusing the way the "good" Americans are the ones who are most racist, not minding much that blacks and brown people are enslaved but outraged at the enslavement of white men. Alvar O'Brian on the other hand is the "evil" American but yet seems to be completely colorblind. Considering how this entire project started out a realistic Draka, I wonder if people like him would eventually become mainstream? Truly Draka style with the "inferior" being enslaved no matter their color, and perhaps even the most intelligent and powerful blacks becoming citizens and slaveowners, much the way former Latins have.

I share the opinons of the other

“America now stretches from Pole to Pole.”

Let's hope this become something of a motto for the american (even if they don't hold such a reach for long) as it would make U.S.A* the object of countless striper jokes :D (you need to get back for all that slavery and blood in every single possible way!)

Well timed and excellent chapter Jared. A great ending to the DoD world, I for one will be sad to see it go, and look forward to the last few bits left. (And Lands of Red and Gold too of course!)

So it's over. Bravo, sir. I have followed this for more than a year and have to say that this is the most impressive work around here. Writing a timeline is one thing, creating a new world, plausible yet different, is another thing. When reading most segments about regular people's lives in the timeline, they felt really authentic. I look forward to Land of Red and Gold.

I will admit that Decades of Darkness has been my platonic model for No Spanish Civil War in regards to scope and detail, even when I am aware that NSCW is a much more irregular and imperfect work.

Did you plan to end with Alvar O'Brien's inauguration on the inauguration day of Barack Obama (AH.com's irony of the decade?) or was it convenient happenstance? Admittedly not even Obama could have pulled off that inaugural address :rolleyes:

Also:

It is our solemn duty to write a new constitution which embodies the continued wisdom of our forefathers, but where the spirit and the letter have both been buttressed into a fortress which will protect our nation until the end of days.”
and say,

Our capacity remains undiminished. But our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions - that time has surely passed. Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.

;)

An end of the beginning, or the beginning of the end?

Well done and congratulations Jared. A fitting end to a great alternate history timeline. Who could of forseen it would come to this just from Thomas Jefferson dying early? I certainly didn't. But for all that, this has consistently been one of the most logical and well thought out timelines I have come across. This is no doubt largely thanks to the hard work and research done by you Jared. I commend you for it, as well as the end result. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours, both writing and otherwise.

P.S. I'd also like to point out that like most epic pieces of fiction I have read and enjoyed, I also feel some sense of loss when it is over. One almost wishes it could go on forever. I felt it when I finished Lord of the Rings, the Chung Kuo series, and most likely will when I read the final Wheel of Time book this September. This is different to series that drag on beyond their use by date, and to me at least, signifies something special.

P.P.S. That bloody P.S. was almost as long as the body of text.:rolleyes: