De Facto Shoguns

Would there ever be a possibility of someone like Tojo, Yamato, or any one of a number of people to gain and keep their military power joined with domestic authority and keep it? One can of course argue that they had it for a while, as well as far more securely that the Shoguns of the past, though there was still the issue of the Diet being able to condemn them or the Emperor to show his disapproval. This might not be the clearest of opening posts.

I feel like I know what you're asking: can there be military dictators in Japan in the same way there were shoguns previously? I feel that this might be hard, given how the government structure of WW2 Japan wasn't really concentrated in one person, so it might help to find a demagogue in the style of a Mussolini or a Hitler at the same time. On the other hand, I guess if one person did manage to take over the military, a military coup doesn't sound too difficult.

This was actually one of the things that majorly pissed off some post-WW1 Japanese reformers. To them a new shogunate had arisen where the emperor was controlled by politicians and political parties and businessmen (the Zaibatsus). Therefore, a Showa Restoration was necessary.

An inanimate object like the battleship Yamato become a shogun?

I assumed he meant Yamamoto.:)
How the Admiral will become a "shogun" when he had to be posted to sea to prevent his assassination I don't know, but he was certainly a powerful figure in his time. He was one of the very few naval officers to enjoy the respect of people in the IJA.

How the Admiral will become a "shogun" when he had to be posted to sea to prevent his assassination I don't know, but he was certainly a powerful figure in his time. He was one of the very few naval officers to enjoy the respect of people in the IJA.

On the other hand, respect might not mean the army surrenders any power. There was exactly one admiral who served as PM between 1937 and 1945, and he was in power for I think 6 months.

Plus many areas were placed under the authority of the Japanese Navy, such as most of Indonesia.