DCS Revised: A Better Color Scheme

Which color should Hungary use in the DCSR?

• Dark teal (DCS)

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Light teal (current DCSR)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Brick red (NCS)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
And "ETA/radical Basques" was originally going to be under France, but I might move it to Spain and give "French Basques" its own color.
Of course ETA can remain in the French section. That's no problem.

Regarding "Far-left Catalonia", why that in particular?
because the CNT-FAI and other far-left movements in Spain are to my knowledge centered in Catalonia and Catalonia is the most likely part of Spain to be/go far-left. Yes, it could be added to CNT-FAI, too.

If one is needed, use the dedicated ideology colors in the ideology section (coming eventually).
A good idea. Or I'll use one of the county colours/other colours in the section, that is no problem either.

France
1671153799332.png

Here's France (minus Corsica). Also slightly changed Iberia. I'll be away for a bit so I won't be able to continue until I get back home.

I used the original formula once created by @Ashtagon (as far as I remember). But this might be easier. Is there a way to do it in paint.net, too?
DCS is not my scheme; do what you like with it. The weird-ass formulae for the five-grade colour scheme that seems to have become an informal standard is mine though. However, it may be useful to understand why I went with the formula I did.

I started off with a formula that would produce identical values to simply "paint over one/two times with 25% white/black". However, I quickly found that the darker (and especially the "double darker") shades were near-indistinguishable shades of near-black; this was especially true for many colours that already had mid-levels of luminosity or lower. So I adjusted the formula in order to exaggerate the amount of colour saturation in the darker shades. That way, instead of tending towards black, they would tend towards dark primary colours. Equally, for a few of the countries that begin with very light base colours (eg Japan), the difference between the base and painted with 25% white was barely visible. So I arbitrarily picked a cut-off point (luminosity of 83%+), and for the lighter shades of these, I exaggerated the increase in lightness.

The final set of formulae looks unnecessarily complicated, but it was designed with a purpose. If you think the simpler starting point works better for you, you do you.

Wonderful! That should cover us for all ideological special cases etc., too, but I think you should have one colour (e.g. Mecklenburg-Schwerin) double for a technocratic Germany...
I wanted to put that as an alias for Düsseldorf, but I ran out of space and decided not to, likely since, just like syndicalism, (to my knowledge) technocracy has been implemented zero times in history, and it's too specific of an ideology to warrant a separate color. I only ever give multiple far-left or far-right colors if there have been multiple (successful or attempted) far-left or far-right groups or movements in that region in OTL.

I'm interested in the two Italy colors: in some color schemes, modern-day Italy is grape-green, but in other color schemes (like the X2 and this one), it's rust-red.

Any idea on when this split happened?

(I'll also be crossposting this to the main thread for these questions.)
Actually I'm ambiguous as to which Italy color should be used; I personally prefer the green Italy, so I made it the "main" Italy color.

1673229805866.png

Here's Zapadoslavia (including Hungary). You might notice I made Hungary a lot lighter. Which do you prefer, the old DCS dark Hungary, my newer teal Hungary, or the brick red NCS Hungary I have under "Secondary Hungary"?

Here's Zapadoslavia (including Hungary). You might notice I made Hungary a lot lighter. Which do you prefer, the old DCS dark Hungary, my newer teal Hungary, or the brick red NCS Hungary I have under "Secondary Hungary"?
I have no real opinion on the Hungary colour, I'll definitely try this lighter colour!

Glad to see this picking up speed. By the way I made a small update to my scheme since I added a small amount of colours, maybe two or three in what you have already done, but you may want to check it up. Also I found a couple of fan expansions which could be useful.

I'm interested in the two Italy colors: in some color schemes (like this one), modern-day Italy is grape-green, but in other color schemes (like the X2), it's rust-red.

Any idea on when this split happened?

(I'll also be crossposting this to the main thread for these questions.)
I can confirm that the split predates X2.

Light green (111,189,72) was used to indicate Savoy/Piedmont/Sardinia (it was all one kingdom for a long time) by TACOS, GCS, ARCS, RCS, MCS, and CCS. A darker green (0,146,70) was used by GCS for a unified Italy.

The rusty brown (153,51,0) was used for (western) Romans by TACOS, ARCS, RCS, and TCS. UCS (the ur-colour scheme) used an imperceptibly darker shade (134,34,0) of that brown for the same. All of these used the colour for a unified Italy except TACOS, which chose to distinguish between unified-by-Rome and unified-by-Piedmont Italies.

(Yes, I still have my old file in which I noted the exact details of every prior colour scheme.)