DBWI: WI Jimmy Carter wasn't assassinated?

Hey, everyone. Just thinking about this year's election (I know, I know, no current politics on the board). Just got me thinking: What if Jimmy Carter wasn't assassinated in October 1980? Would we have had President Mondale's two (well technically three since he did finish out Carter's term) terms? Would the Cold War have finished as it did? I know people like to credit President Bush for that but the USSR's still there.

I know that a lot of people like Samantha Smith as president but she's still ending her second term this year. It looks like Vice President Obama has a lock on the nomination, but only with President Smith's support. Enough of me babbling, what do you think?

Without the Mondale Presidency, we wouldn't have had the great economic recovery, or universal health care, or all kinds of good things. You look at what Reagan was proposing, and it's shuddering. I mean, who would want an actor as president. He'd muck up everything!

Well, when he ran against Reagan in '80, that would have butterflied it away. Perhaps a stronger Republican party assuming Reagan wasn't assassinated, maybe the Republican parties about the same assuming Reagan was. President Bush was elected in 1996 and his re-election in 2000, followed by the election and re-election of President Gore, again followed by Romney's Presidency. However, Bush's son was a big politician in the early 2000s (remember his run against Al Gore in 2004.)The butterflies of this could be big. Smith was involved in a plane crash over Florida, that could have gone different. Then theirs the Clinton's. Bill ran against Bush in '96 and lost (not surprisingly) due to his various scandals. I was shocked when Obama lost the nomination to Smith in 2012. Any of those presidencies could of happened differently. However, back to the point. If Reagan won in 1980, then Mondale would be butterflied. Probably the things Bush implemented but earlier.

Possibly, a better Presient on foreign policy might have prevented the right-wing surge in Eastern Europe? Here, we see the East German regime by now worse than it was under the SED...

After Mondale and Tsongas, people were tired of Democrats, understandably so. Tsongas over here is remembered for butchering reunification negotiations in a way that the constitutional court (Bundesverfassungsgericht) declared many things in the unification treaty unconstitutional...

Last edited:
Without the Mondale Presidency, we wouldn't have had the great economic recovery, or universal health care, or all kinds of good things. You look at what Reagan was proposing, and it's shuddering. I mean, who would want an actor as president. He'd muck up everything!

I heard that Donald Trump wanted to run this year. Thank God he stuck to business.

I think carter would have supported the toppling of the central african empire before they invaded congo and then south africa but since he got assasinated and under mondale term he forgot about the central african empire as a result the central african empire became a good ally with the ccp which in turn made the us worry that it could threaten the state of ryukyu and okinawa.