DBWI: What would video games be like now?

As we all know, the video game crash of 1983 really killed the video game industry. Sure, there are still video games around but only on PC and a small ammount of people play them. But if VGs were brought back to life by some other company what do you think they would be like today and how big would they be? I have often looked at Nintendo and see how big they would be here. I mean, they are pretty popular in Japan. Also, todays games suck and graphics are pretty bad. Not much has changed:(.

Last edited:
As we all know, the video game crash of 1983 really killed the video game industry. But if VGs were brought back to life by some other company what do you think they would be like today and how big would they be? I have often looked at Nintendo and see how big they would be here. I mean, they are pretty popular in Japan. Also, todays games suck and we still have the same graphics as we do 30 years ago. Not much has changed:(.

OOC: I'm sorry, but videogames totally disappearing in the U.S. is simply totally implausible.....or, graphics staying relatively the same is highly unlikely even in a worst-case scenario(you might want to rewrite this post to make it easier to understand, btw!)

Sure, had the crash of 1983 been worse it very well could have caused a lot of harm to the industry, but it probably wouldn't have permanently retarded the development of graphics and other companies would have taken Atari's place eventually; how about Apple, for example? They had plenty of success with the Mac, and there's not much stopping them from developing a game system just as Microsoft did IOTL.....just my two cents, really.

I could see maybe Microsoft doing something like that. But most of the time I would think the best bet would be Nintendo.

While the Nintendo Famicom or the Sega Mark V could have had successful North American releases, you’d have to tone down some of the anti-Japanese sentiment that seemed to be so prevalent in the US at the time or at least avoid some of the high-profile stuff (like the Little Tokyo Riots or the highly publicized and often violent mass-boycotts of Japanese products) that allegedly dissuaded the Japanese console makers from making a go of it at the time.

OOC - Yeah, I've just made the 'Japan-Bashing' of the 80s more prominent. Figured there'd have to be some reason Sega & Nintendo don't venture into the North American market.

While the Nintendo Famicom or the Sega Mark V could have had successful North American releases, you’d have to tone down some of the anti-Japanese sentiment that seemed to be so prevalent in the US at the time or at least avoid some of the high-profile stuff (like the Little Tokyo Riots or the highly publicized and often violent mass-boycotts of Japanese products) that allegedly dissuaded the Japanese console makers from making a go of it at the time.

OOC - Yeah, I've just made the 'Japan-Bashing' of the 80s more prominent. Figured there'd have to be some reason Sega & Nintendo don't venture into the North American market.

OOC: Umm....how exactly would that come about, though? There's no plausible way to blame the crash on the Japanese that would stick with anyone other than a few malcontents as far as I can see.