DBWI: What to do with Regan's SDI now?

April 3, 1993
With the final breakup of the Soviet Union last month, what should be done with the SDI satellites now?

It's Reagan, incidentally.

Since they don't yet work, but have cost many billions of dollars, I suppose we should keep spending money to try and get them functioning properly.

Of course without the USSR as a threat, their utility is limited to the incredibly unlikely scenario that someone with a nuclear weapon chooses to launch it as a missile instead of being delivered via airplanes, ships, trucks, or briefcases.

I guess their main utility might be to prevent an Indo-Pakistan nuclear exchange, stop North Korea from doing something crazy, and knock down the first couple missiles of a China-Russia fight.

That is, if they ever work.

Archibald

Banned
At theast the SDI was useful in one way -giving a successor to Saturn V. Had SDI satellites weight not skyrocketed - 1984 studies gave 40 tons but they ended at 75 tons- Bush Space Exploration Intiative would have had to build a superlauncher from scratch.

Fortunately the ALS is a good basis for a LEOR lunar scenario... the fact it use SSME ans ASRM is important for NASA in the sense it diminish costs. Thanks USAF for that!

Unless he really was referring to President Reagan's prime minister, err I mean chief of staff, Donald Regan. :p

Not that that would make him any more correct.
Incidentially, I was talking about Prime Minister Ronald "Dutch" Reagan, serving the American Commonwealth from 1981-1992.:p:p