DBWI: What if Richard Nixon ran for high political office?

As a USC student, I think that one of our most distinguished professors was the aforementioned Nixon. He once said that after his stint in Congress, he briefly considered a Senate run, maye even the Presidency. So, what do you think would have resulted from a Nixon Administration?

Who the hell is Richard Nixon?:D

"Tricky Dick" is one of the most notable figures in the polit sci world. His theory of "playing the fool" is noted as having played a role in inspiring the way the Second Korean War was handled with the Communists. He also gets a few footnotes for his shrewd interventions in the USC "Hippie riots" in the mid-to-late 60s--part of why they never got as bad as UC Berkeley's.

However, given the rumors of plagerism, his noted paranoia, and other aspects, I can't see him succeeding in national politics. Just too abrasive, probably would have gotten himself into trouble early on.

The real question is who he replaces as president, and whether he would ever serve as vice president. Considering his age and congressional career, I'd guess that Nixon would have been president sometime between 1953 and 1985. Assuming that he would run as a Republican, Nixon could have replaced any president whose name is in bold on this list of Presidents of the United States.

Dwight Eisenhower (1953-1961)
Lyndon Johnson (1961-1969)
George Romney (1969-1973)
Henry Jackson (1973-1977)
John Mitchell (1977-1985)
Hugh Carey (1985-1993)
Pierre DuPont (1993-1997)
Albert Gore Jr. (1997-2005)
Michael Bloomberg (2005-present)

The real question is who he replaces as president, and whether he would ever serve as vice president. Considering his age and congressional career, I'd guess that Nixon would have been president sometime between 1953 and 1985. Assuming that he would run as a Republican, Nixon could have replaced any president whose name is in bold on this list of Presidents of the United States.

Hugh Carey (1985-1993)

No way in hell that a Mormon wins the presidency in 1968, particularly if RFK is still alive.

Having been a poli sci major in college and as a political junkie I have heard of Richard Nixon. If e of pi is correct then I imagine that his paranoia would have exascerbated what ever fears and insecurities kept him in (DBWI)OTL from seeking higher office to the point of being self destructive. That aside, from what I've read his besic political philosophy would have meshed nicely w/the mood of the nation in the early 70's. Additionally, he had some well thought out ideas on the role of the federal government as protector of the enviornment and on government-private sector cooporation in health care & insurance issues.

Also...
No way in hell that a Mormon wins the presidency in 1968, particularly if RFK is still alive.

Do you mean Robert Kennedy the avowed Communist who condemned America's involvement in the 2nd Korean War and who called active duty US servicemen rapists and murderers?

I think I remember him from an old episode of celebrity Iron Chef.

He lost but he had a great end line.

Now what was it.

"I am not a cook";)

Having been a poli sci major in college and as a political junkie I have heard of Richard Nixon. If e of pi is correct then I imagine that his paranoia would have exascerbated what ever fears and insecurities kept him in (DBWI)OTL from seeking higher office to the point of being self destructive. That aside, from what I've read his besic political philosophy would have meshed nicely w/the mood of the nation in the early 70's. Additionally, he had some well thought out ideas on the role of the federal government as protector of the enviornment and on government-private sector cooporation in health care & insurance issues.

Also...

Do you mean Robert Kennedy the avowed Communist who condemned America's involvement in the 2nd Korean War and who called active duty US servicemen rapists and murderers?

Of course, but those pieces of information weren't known until his brother John, the editor of the Boston Globe, published a memoir of his brother, A Profile in Courage. Bobby was always in the shadow of his older brother Joe, but after Joe's assassination while Massachusetts Governor in 1959, and the fiasco of the LBJ presidency (OOC: I can't believe I'm saying that), Bobby was the perfect candidate for the Democratic Party's nomination--he had been senator since 1959. If he hadn't been assassinated, I have no doubt he would have beaten Wallace and Romney. I still can't believe that Wallace won in a landslide election--it's hard to believe how intolerant Americans were back in those days.

Of course, but those pieces of information weren't known until his brother John, the editor of the Boston Globe, published a memoir of his brother, A Profile in Courage. Bobby was always in the shadow of his older brother Joe, but after Joe's assassination while Massachusetts Governor in 1959, and the fiasco of the LBJ presidency (OOC: I can't believe I'm saying that), Bobby was the perfect candidate for the Democratic Party's nomination--he had been senator since 1959. If he hadn't been assassinated, I have no doubt he would have beaten Wallace and Romney. I still can't believe that Wallace won in a landslide election--it's hard to believe how intolerant Americans were back in those days.

In fact RFKs statements were very much public and well known. Were it not for his family's millions he would have been tried for treason. Also, Wendell has provided us w/the official list of POTUS for TTL, and according to it Romney won in '68.

Hugh Carey (1985-1993)

After seeing this thread, I read up a little on Dr. Nixon. Christ! What if he had been elected in say 1976 or 1980? Do you imagine the clash of personalities between him and British Prime Minister David Frost (1979-1986). The old, conservative loner vs the flashy, young, loud-mouth. Imagine the damage a Frost/Nixon summit would have damaged the "Special Relationship" between the US and UK.