DBWI : What if Joachim Murat had chosen to rule Naples instead of Portugal

Dear Alternate-Historian as you all know when after the abdication of Carlos IV of Spain Napoleon demanded of Murat that he chose which kingdom he wanted to rule Portugal or Naples and Joachim choose to become king of Portugal kingdom that his descendant from the house of Murat rule to this very day making it one of the few remaining Monarchy of Europe and one of the fifth remaining kingdoms and empire along with the Kingdom of Hungary the Kingdom of Greece the Kingdom of Finland and the second French Empire.
As you know the current king of Portugal Joachim II is a direct descendant of Achille I (firstborn son of Joachim I and Caroline Bonaparte) and his wife Letitia Marie Bonaparte daughter of Napoleon I and his wife the Grand-duchess Ekatarina, some says the Muratian dynasty made Portugal into the strong and respectable country it is today as while Portugal isn't what one would call a great power in the international it definitively is one of Europe major power after France and Britain.
I would like to ask to you glorious member of this august board what would have happened had Joachim chosen Naples.

ooc: Sorry for this big blog of text so this my first DBWI and I hope it will at least interest someone if the idea sound to ASB please tell me.

Last edited:
Wasn't there talk that if Murat didn't take the crown of Portugal, that the country would either be subsumed into the kingdom of Spain? Still, better Murat than the plan to hand it off to the republican Lucien as a wedding gift on his marriage to the Dowager Queen of Etruria? Although, thinking about the ramifications of Giuseppe Bonaparte becoming king of Spain if Murat had chosen Naples instead is scary.

Dear Alternate-Historian as you all know when after the abdication of Carlos IV of Spain Napoleon demanded of Murat that he chose which kingdom he wanted to rule Portugal or Naples and Joachim choose to become king of Portugal kingdom that his descendant from the house of Murat rule to this very day making it one of the few remaining Monarchy of Europe and one of the fifth remaining kingdoms and empire along with the Kingdom of Hungary the Kingdom of Greece the Kingdom of Finland and the second French Empire.
As you know the current king of Portugal Joachim II is a direct descendant of Achille I (firstborn son of Joachim I and Caroline Bonaparte) and his wife Letitia Marie Bonaparte daughter of Napoleon I and his wife the Grand-duchess Anna Pavlovna, some says the Muratian dynasty made Portugal into the strong and respectable country it is today as while Portugal isn't what one would call a great power in the international it definitively is one of Europe major power after France and Britain.
I would like to ask to you glorious member of this august board what would have happened had Joachim chosen Naples.

ooc: Sorry for this big blog of text so this my first DBWI and I hope it will at least interest someone if the idea sound to ASB please tell me.
I will suggest you to change the name of Napoleon bride with Ekaterina o Catherine (Anna's older sister and the bride who Napoleon really wanted but who in OTL was quickly married off before his divoirce from Josephine was finalized)