DBWI - What if Chiang Kai-Shek led China?

I was reading recently and I never realised how close the leadership contest was in China after the death of Sun Yat-sen. I was wondering: how do people think the Republic of China would have fared if Chiang Kai-Shek had come to power in 1926 rather than Wang Jingwei?

OOC: This is - obviously - Wang Jingwei before any of his later actions...

Well Chiang controlled one of the better-run military schools and was grooming a cadre of anti-Communist, pro-Chiang officers. He could've succeeded in a coup if he wanted to, but as we all know he was worsening in health very quickly for unknown reasons from November 1925. Highly possible that Wang ordered him to be "quietened".
So, what if Chiang found this out and destroyed Wang's consolidation of power? Well for one, the Chinese government wouldn't be so democratic and federalised as it is now. Chiang was all for a military expedition to oust warlords from power and was willing to kill millions in the struggle. He also hated the Communists a lot, as was expressed continuously in his diary - so there wouldn't be any effort made by Communist elements to subdue the warlords from within, which was what happened.
What else? Stalin may have completely lost it if China suddenly turned right-wing - he wouldn't have industrialised and developed Russia, he'd have destroyed it to find subversive elements. The Empire of Japan may have also been more comfortable with the idea of invading Manchuria, with all their obsessions on direct control of resources - since without Wang there would not have been a defence pact between the USSR and China. Also there wouldn't have been divisions of well-trained Chinese troops fighting along the Russians in the Eastern Front during the Nazi-Soviet War. Who knows, maybe Chiang could've even collaborated with the Japanese fascists and and decide to usurp the United States and Britain from its position of power - the Chinese invasion of India would be one of the most epic and largest wars we would have seen, with troops pouring in from the Kashmir and Burma - a frightening thought.
One of the more questionable parts is on the liberation of Korea - would've Chiang been as enthusiastic as Wang was in supporting Korean guerrilla elements in Manchuria? We know Chiang identified Korea as one of China's strongest and oldest ally and "younger brother", and he foresaw in the long term Korea's return to Chinese sphere of influence. But he was also very pro-Japanese, so that's a sticking point. I also have a gut feeling he would've been happy to see Southeast Asia's Communist parties all being mainly run by ethnic Chinese, since he was all for an expansion of Chinese power.
One final thought, I believe some of Chiang's cronies had connections in Berlin and Vienna - it's quite possible that, with the impending Japanese invasion of China, Chiang would have asked for German help - although I personally doubt much could have been changed without the Soviets.

Well Chiang controlled one of the better-run military schools and was grooming a cadre of anti-Communist, pro-Chiang officers. He could've succeeded in a coup if he wanted to, but as we all know he was worsening in health very quickly for unknown reasons from November 1925./QUOTE]

Chiang had health problems starting Nov 1925? Never knew that.

OCC: I can't tell if you are being in character or not.:confused:

IC: Really? It's common knowledge that Chiang was going to die soon after November 1925. Honestly, if he had lived long enough to become leader of China, he might have died very early during his rule because of the stress.

I see the error. You guys are mixing CHIANG KAI SHEK up with SUN YAT SEN. ;)

This would be Sun Yat Sen, not Chiang Kai Shek. Tho be great if Sun DIDN't get that ill in 1925.

OOC: AHF, STOP MIXING UP OOC WITH IC.
edit: AHF, I apologise if I sounded too harsh. But DBWIs are a very particular matter, being the only allowed forms of roleplay outside Shared Worlds. Hope you understand.

Last edited: