DBWI united Germany after World War 2

Suppose that after World War 2, instead of getting what became North Germany, South Germany, East Germany, and the Rheinland Republic the victorious allies manage to create a neutralized but united Germany, shorn of its eastern territories.

Would something like this have had any chance of working?

Deleted member 114175

Poland wouldn't want to put up with millions of Germans in their territory. It wouldn't have worked.

Germans are untrustworthy. A German state would sooner or later cause WW3.

The process of de-germanization in the modern republics of Rheinland, Bavaria, Austria, Hannover, and Saxony-Brandenburg have gone a long way on establishing lasting peace in the continent.

To get a unified Germany, you'd first need to have a reason to de-escalate, if not outright stop, de-germanization.

The best way I can think to do this is to either have the communists lose the French Civil War, or outright avoid the civil war all together (now that's a challenge). This way you could shift the "battle" line for the Cold War to Germany instead of giving up the entire continent to the communists. In this scenario, you may have the US, Britain, and France pull their occupied zones of Germany together to form a united front against the now Soviet dominated East. Though this still doesn't unify all of Germany, and I fail to see how only the USSR would be a enough to keep the Anglo-World unified against a common enemy without the Fall of France putting the Red-World right on Britain's doorstep.

Well, it worked for Austria.... And seeing that at least three of the four successor states are vehemently pacifist social contract states, I imagine the outcome to be something of a second Sweden, just smack in the middle of Europe.

Maybe we could have some kind of post- war epidemic that depopulated the German regions too much for them to be viable states on their own?