DBWI: Should Japan be opened to the modern world

As you all know, Tokugawa Japan has been an International Historic Reservation Zone since the 1944 treaty of Calcutta. The Tokugawa shogonate has, with the help of the U.B.C, the U.S.A and China kept it's borders closed to the world for the last sixty four years, not to mention it's centuries long isolation before the treaty.

Now with the world conference coming up, I heard some South American nations were desiring to open up Japan to modernisation, not to mention dissention in America and the Commonwealth.

What do you think, should Japan stay isolated or opened to the modern world?

Here's a simple answer: No.

If they want to remain in the Stone Age, let them. The civilized world, the US, China, the UBC, the EU with all their glories, can't fulfill the modest request of these poor people to be left alone.

Pathetic.

Most of the tensions for forcing Japan to open comes from the ultrareligious Christian Japanese diaspora. Peru's Fuijimori has sought to destablilise the Shogunate for years, that's why he's such a hero to those fifth columnists and agitators in the Philippines, Hawaii and California. These are the extremists, the majority of the overseas Japanese population supports the Shogunate's right to preserve their way of life.

As it stands, Japan has managed to create a paradise on Earth. Modern medicine, agriculture and sanitation, without smog, mass media rotting the brain, environmental degradation and societal upheaval. Theirs has been the example that has been successfully followed by Abysinnia, Tonga and Kalaallit Nunaat.

Anyone who wants to leave Japan can apply for processing at Nagasaki, but since the 1960's most of those who have left have been either whacked out religious cultists, freaks, perverts and like. Which goes a long way toward explaining why Japan itself is the Eden it is, while the Little Edo's of most major Pacific Rim cities are such dens of iniquity.

I am thinking about tourism...

What a huge theme park Japan could become!
Just imagine the countless hordes of trashy, disrespectful tourists who would dream of visiting such a picturesque, harmless country! Just imagine the gleam of gratitude in their eyes for being given such a wonderful opportunity!

You just have to tell the natives to behave correctly, and put away their Samurai swords somewhere. A minimal military task force might do the trick.
Humvees against samurais...

There is a lot of money to make in Japan, believe me. This is a true goldmine. I think we should take advantage of it. The problem is to find a way of getting the Japanese to stay willingly as primitive as they are...

I will contact Disney immediately.

Its true that isolationism has had a profound effect for the positive, but economically and politically, Japan is practically non-existent. And you can't honestly tell me that this "Reservation Zone" has been truly respected for the last 60 years. Countless efforts by criminal black market elements, third-party affiliates of the Soviet Union and the United States, even China and Corea, have flooded large parts of Japan with illicit consumer goods, small arms and technological knick-knacks.
The Shogun may make a big deal about how he's making a "controlled experiment" with the introduction of Television, but I half-suspect that a good many Japanese households have been getting Chinese gameshows on handhelds for the past twenty years.

And as for the "Little Edo" comments, I find it frankly offensive. It has nothing to do with "religion", but a growing desire amongst the Japanese people to seek opportunities and wealth elsewhere. They're not content to be medieval rice farmers and silk-weavers anymore. The "historic paradise" of Japan is a stifling, stagnant enviroment, and the young crave Macdonalds, Paik Automatives, and stylish post-modern homes in Hong Kong. That they end up being wage slaves to the Capitalist Machine is not their fault, but the fault of the greedy Pacific Rim Barons, who already half-treat Japan like "Disneyland", only one with complimentary Christmas Elves to make shoes at peanut prices.

Its true that isolationism has had a profound effect for the positive, but economically and politically, Japan is practically non-existent. And you can't honestly tell me that this "Reservation Zone" has been truly respected for the last 60 years. Countless efforts by criminal black market elements, third-party affiliates of the Soviet Union and the United States, even China and Corea, have flooded large parts of Japan with illicit consumer goods, small arms and technological knick-knacks.
The Shogun may make a big deal about how he's making a "controlled experiment" with the introduction of Television, but I half-suspect that a good many Japanese households have been getting Chinese gameshows on handhelds for the past twenty years.

And as for the "Little Edo" comments, I find it frankly offensive. It has nothing to do with "religion", but a growing desire amongst the Japanese people to seek opportunities and wealth elsewhere. They're not content to be medieval rice farmers and silk-weavers anymore. The "historic paradise" of Japan is a stifling, stagnant enviroment, and the young crave Macdonalds, Paik Automatives, and stylish post-modern homes in Hong Kong. That they end up being wage slaves to the Capitalist Machine is not their fault, but the fault of the greedy Pacific Rim Barons, who already half-treat Japan like "Disneyland", only one with complimentary Christmas Elves to make shoes at peanut prices.

Agreed, Japan has suffered long enough. The present generation has no responsability for what their great grandparents did.

Depends

If Japan gives full consent to opening up its borders, then yes,
putting up Japan as a completely accessible place would be great.
Then again, if they don't then forget it. As YLi said, if they don't want us
in, they can handle life themselves.

I don't pity them.

Well, if they don't want to open up I wouldn't force them to do so. It would be incredibly stupid but so was attacking a country with the World's largest economy and trusting to luck.