DBWI: Mexican-American War

We all know how the US entertained the idea of annexing Texas, so what if they had? Would there be a Mexican-American war as is so often claimed? How well would Mexico do? Would Texas want to be annexed? How would this affect later history?

Some lunatics have produced TLs about this. A US which reaches the Pacific? Totally ASB. The Mexicans would have beaten the Americans back to Florida.

It would be interesting to say the least. The United States certainly was wealthier at the time, but the mexican army was trained and battle ready having spent years campaigning to regain its central American provinces. I cannot see how America would have succeeded consdering how it had a non existent army, and a generally pacifistic outlook towards world affairs. I don't think its fought a true war since independence, and the Colorado purchase established a clean border between Mexico, America and Texas in the West.

Well, most of them use PODs in the Sonoran War. Mexico might lose. Might.

I fail to see how people think that a Texian-Mexican war over a small piece of coastline in the Gulf of California would result in the USA taking most of Western North America.

Texas was always bound to end up with Santa Fe--Mexico just never showed any interest in that part of her territory. But the thought that Texas or the USA would take over a place like California is pretty ASB.

North America was always meant to be dominated by the 8 countries in charge now: the USA, Texas, Mexico, the California Republic, the Republic of Columbia, Canada, Quebec, and Newfoundland.

His grace the Duke of Wellington held the belief that had the Americans and Mexicans ever gone to war then the Americans would have suffered a heavy defeat.

However, considering Santa Anna was in fast decline and support for him would last only ten years more and that the final years of his reign would be filled with constant uprisings of disgruntled Mexicans that he struggled to get to grips with I think that Wellington may have been a bit pessimistic and perhaps snobbish with his assesment.

Santa Anna might even secure his rule with a timely victory over the Americans as this was really the last point in his reign that he was ever presented with such an opportunity to unify the nation behind one cause however he had already been proven to be a less than good commander and so his victory would really rest on whether or not the Mexican Army would prove superior to the American one though this is in doubt as the American Army had been in a state of improvement throughout the early 1800's.

On American commanders...although Winfield Scott had perhaps had a bit of a varied career he did show moments of brilliance and would have been a excelent choice for commander of an American Army and would have been able to contest the theatre with Santa Anna for a good while.

Perhaps the outcome would have been a stalemate solved by politics rather than military might.

Frankly I wish the US had annexed Texas. That would give us more room to carve out Slave States and continue the compromise-process until Slavery died of its own. Instead we freeze with Louisiana, President Van Buren fails in his attempt to seize Cuba (it's a miracle we still kept most of Florida and only lost the Keys!), and then the god damned plantation owners got scared by Fremont's election and we end up torn apart by years of civil war. :mad:

Virginia's economy is still recovering from that catastrophe, I might add.

The oil would have been nice, too.

Fox of Ages

Banned
Frankly I wish the US had annexed Texas. That would give us more room to carve out Slave States and continue the compromise-process until Slavery died of its own. Instead we freeze with Louisiana, President Van Buren fails in his attempt to seize Cuba (it's a miracle we still kept most of Florida and only lost the Keys!), and then the god damned plantation owners got scared by Fremont's election and we end up torn apart by years of civil war. :mad:

Virginia's economy is still recovering from that catastrophe, I might add.

The oil would have been nice, too.
you Kidding me?

After the Second Mexican-Texan War, Texas Was the Most Powerfull Country on the Continent, and our Involvement in Your Civil war is the only Reason you Won the War in the First Place..
WW2 would have gone to the Nazis without Texan Involvment...
and Might i add, that we were the ones who won the Cold War....

The Lone Star Confederacy is one of The Premier Super-Power on earth, Walong with The European Federation, and China...

OOC: i'm playing the Part of the Die-Hard Patriot