DBWI Italy has no Corsica, Savoy and Nice and has Venice, Istria and Trentino instead

This was prevented by the existence of Duchess Anne Beatrice of Modena because the marriage of Anne Beatrice to Umberto I made a peaceful transfer of Lombardy to Savoy-Piedmont possible while Venice, Friuli, and Trentino remained part of Austria.
The alternative to this was the French who wanted Savoy and Nice, during the Risorgimento the Italians annexed Corsica, Sicily, and Southern Italy from France with Austrian help.
After the collapse of Austria in WWI, Venice became independent with Trentino and Istria and the country became a target of Italian irredentism even in the present although it has lessened.
What if Anne Beatrice never survived and Umberto I married Margaret of Savoy.

Anne Beatrice has her own problems, the marriage caused Italians to have a claim to Britain, which resurged the Jacobite sentiment in Ireland.

Last edited:
OOC:Margaret married to Romania here and Italy has Corsica as well mostly OTL except Anna Beatrice and Margaret.
OOC: sorry, could you please elaborate further? IOTL Vittorio Emanuele I married Maria Teresa of Austria-Este, I am a bit confused, as to "Margaret of Savoy married to Romania"... Who is this Margaret of Savoy? And Romania IIRC became a kingdom only in 1881...

OOC: sorry, could you please elaborate further? IOTL Vittorio Emanuele I married Maria Teresa of Austria-Este, I am a bit confused, as to "Margaret of Savoy married to Romania"... Who is this Margaret of Savoy? And Romania IIRC became a kingdom only in 1881...
OOC:I meant to say Adelaide Beatrice of Modena marries Umberto I

Last edited: