DBWI: Is Disney getting too powerful?

As we know, ever since the Disney Renaissance began back in 1989, it has seemingly never stopped. Disney has been one of the most profitable media companies of the past few decades and, through a series of massive buyouts, has become a true empire. Disney's buying spree stare in 1990 with their purchase of the Jim Henson Company and spiraled from there. In 1996, they bought the then-nearly-bankrupt Marvel Comics. In 2006, they bought Pixar. In 2010, they bought Cartoon Network, soon-rebranded as Toon Disney. They also brought Viz Media's Shonen Jump. They bought Hasbro two years later. They bought Nintendo in 2014. Last year, the big one came: Disney was in talks to buy the near-bankrupt DC Comics. As of a month ago, the merger has gone through. Disney owns a massive swath of our popular culture and, despite their love of fulfilling fanboy dreams, it might be reasonable to ask: Is it too much? When will they stop?

Last edited:
Disney probably won't stop it's dominance for awhile but it's buying spree will stop once other companies get their act together, which it seems like they're starting to do. For example the Star Wars Cinematic Universe has done so well that Disney is copying their idea with a cinematic universe that combines Marvel and DC. When it comes to video games Sega dominates that market and even after being purchased from Disney Nintendo hasn't recovered from the days of the Gamecube 2.

I think it's esier to imagine a universe where they're a lot more conservative in their acquisition. Also, don't you talk mess on the GameCube 2, it had one of my favorite games of all time as a timed exclusive: Bayonetta

I think they need to expand, I got my disney phone and it rocks, they should make computers too.

Last edited:
Disney probably won't stop it's dominance for awhile but it's buying spree will stop once other companies get their act together, which it seems like they're starting to do. For example the Star Wars Cinematic Universe has done so well that Disney is copying their idea with a cinematic universe that combines Marvel and DC. When it comes to video games Sega dominates that market and even after being purchased from Disney Nintendo hasn't recovered from the days of the Gamecube 2.
The upcoming"Disney Comics" universe does seem to be their way of rivaling the current Star Wars and Star Treck cinmatic universes. Goku, Superman and Captian Amercia in one movie is a fanboy's wet dream come true.

I could see this happening... x'Dx'D

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

I think it's esier to imagine a universe where they're a lot more conservative in their acquisition. Also, don't you talk mess on the GameCube 2, it had one of my favorite games of all time as a timed exclusive: Bayonetta
The GameCube 2 wasn't bad or anything, it just didn't have a lot of good launch titles, had bad third party support, and was poorly advertised (annoying children aren't good for commercials).

The GameCube 2 wasn't bad or anything, it just didn't have a lot of good launch titles, had bad third party support, and was poorly advertised (annoying children aren't good for commercials).
Super Smash Brothers Brawl was still amazing, though.

The upcoming"Disney Comics" universe does seem to be their way of rivaling the current Star Wars and Star Treck cinmatic universes. Goku, Superman and Captian Amercia in one movie is a fanboy's wet dream come true.
Don't forget Optimus Prime. Speaking of which, it's nice to see the Transformers and GI Joe in the canonical Marvel universe. Getting to see Cap and Duke trading war stories is my everything.

Well we dodged a big one when Microsoft and Apple Merged in 2013 the rumor had been that Disney was going buy up Apple. That would of been really bad for everyone I feel.
Yeah, I remember the mega-disaster that was the Microsoft bankruptcy. EVen after the fusion, they only just overtook Google in market share last year.

True, Super Mario Galaxy was pretty good as well, however, Nintendo never used this planetoid technology it thought up for the game that was later used in Sonic Beyond.
Yeah, true. Still, good game, and Galaxy 2 was fucking great. 1 million copies, launch week. It's said that that launch was the very reason so many of Nintendo's brass stopped being skeptical of the buyout. Miyamoto, reportedly, turned around on it after a long talk with his idol, Jim Henson. (May you rest in peace, Jim.) Plus, we got to see some Pixar joints based on Nintendo's properties. The Kirby movie, Those two Mario movies...Heck, Ghibli got to make a fucking Zelda movie and they're working on a Pokemon one! They even made Starfy a big thing. STARFY.

Yeah, true. Still, good game, and Galaxy 2 was fucking great. 1 million copies, launch week. It's said that that launch was the very reason so many of Nintendo's brass stopped being skeptical of the buyout. Miyamoto, reportedly, turned around on it after a long talk with his idol, Jim Henson. (May you rest in peace, Jim.) Plus, we got to see some Pixar joints based on Nintendo's properties. The Kirby movie, Those two Mario movies...Heck, Ghibli got to make a fucking Zelda movie and they're working on a Pokemon one! They even made Starfy a big thing. STARFY.
Disney has certainly treated Nintendo well. From the release of of the NX to simply making good games Disney made Nintendo on par with Sega again.

Disney has certainly treated Nintendo well. From the release of of the NX to simply making good games Disney made Nintendo on par with Sega again.
Remember when Microsoft seemed like they were gonna be a serious competitor in the console wars? Only a few scant years later, they went bankrupt and got bought out by Apple. And Sony..God, I remember Sony. But, after the astounding failure of the PS2 in favor of the Dreamcast, they just couldn't keep up. Still, second-place ain't bad. They got within 10 thousand units of winning. Then the PS3 happened..We don't talk about the PS3.

Call me when Disney invades Canada.
Actually, Disney has a large chunk of Nova Scotia and, not to brag, a small chunk of space. Seriously, the world's first space-hotel? Everyone thought that was doomed, even if it is only slightly outside Earth's atmosphere. Now? Paramount's planning to film the new Star Trek there. That Musk guy is a genius.

I still think that SEGA is going to win with their new Console SEGA Jupiter . They got several Big Launch Title from their Traditional Saga, Sonic, Shenmue, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect ..... I mean, who want to play Mario these day ? Or even Zelda , i mean let it die man, all the Zelda since Ocarina of Time has been disaster .