DBWI: George L. Rockwell Far-Right rather than Far-Left

So, interestingly, one of America's most infamous Marxists, George Lincoln Rockwell, apparently held (by his own admission) some reactionary views, before he read Marx during his time in the Navy.

So, what if he retained this views, and maybe even become as far right as he was far left OTL.

With horseshoe theory, there's not much difference. He'd still be a violent totalitarian. Other than hating nonwhites I don't see it being a change in his views.

He was one of America's greatest assets in fighting communism, since his dramatic persona helped ward off people from supporting communism. I hear he was personally warned by people who were his alleged Soviet handlers to avoid overt support of Stalinism, so I wouldn't be surprised he held reactionary views.

Would he still get killed, like his suspicious death in OTL? The government was hesistant to blame it on the Soviets, but I believe he was killed since he was no longer useful to them.

He was one of America's greatest assets in fighting communism, since his dramatic persona helped ward off people from supporting communism. I hear he was personally warned by people who were his alleged Soviet handlers to avoid overt support of Stalinism, so I wouldn't be surprised he held reactionary views.
Well, he did call the CPUSA a "reactionary/imperialist organization", at one point, so he wasn't even popular in those circles.

metalinvader wrote:

since his dramatic persona helped ward off people from supporting communism. I hear he was personally warned by people who were his alleged Soviet handlers to avoid overt support of Stalinism, so I wouldn't be surprised he held reactionary views.

The most hilarious thing was how he'd slip into quasi-racism when denouncing the enemies of the Soviet Union. Like, when that reporter asked him about the repression in the Ukraine, and he started singing that song he'd made up....

The lumpen 'hunks
are peasant lunks!
Fascist punks!

OOC:

Rockwell: "The Jews are through in '72, parlez-vous / The Jews are through in '72, parlez-vous / We'll feed them bacon till they yell / And send them all to kosher hell / Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ..." The chorus repeats, and then comes the next verse: "We'll steal the rabbi's knife and sheath / And make him do it with his teeth / Hinky dinky, parlez-vous."

Playboy interview, 1966

Well worth the read. Someone really needs to do a movie about Haley's interview with Rockwell, and their subsequent "friendship"(for lack of a better word).

metalinvader wrote:

since his dramatic persona helped ward off people from supporting communism. I hear he was personally warned by people who were his alleged Soviet handlers to avoid overt support of Stalinism, so I wouldn't be surprised he held reactionary views.

The most hilarious thing was how he'd slip into quasi-racism when denouncing the enemies of the Soviet Union. Like, when that reporter asked him about the repression in the Ukraine, and he started singing that song he'd made up....

The lumpen 'hunks
are peasant lunks!
Fascist punks!

OOC:

Playboy interview, 1966

Well worth the read. Someone really needs to do a movie about Haley's interview with Rockwell, and their subsequent "friendship"(for lack of a better word).

Well, that was... interesting. Certainly consistent with his views on Stalin.

OOC: There was this dramatization from Roots: The Next Generation

Finally got around to watching that. He actually sang The Jews Are Through In '72!

Here's another video I found, of James Earl Jones talking about working with Brando in that scene. I gather the aerosol can was an addition by Brando, and he actually sprayed it without warning in Jones' face. That really is just every cliche Marlon Brando gesture right there.

Would he still get killed, like his suspicious death in OTL? The government was hesistant to blame it on the Soviets, but I believe he was killed since he was no longer useful to them.
I heard that the CIA was responsible. Of course, I doubt they'd be that brazen-or that competent.:p