DBWI: George H.W. Bush Assasination

In April 13, 1993 George H.W. Bush was killed when a car bomb exploded in his visit to Kuwait. Would we have gone to war with Iraq if he wasn't killed? What would his legacy be without being martyred? Would George W. Bush not have become president if his father wasn't killed?

Well, President Clinton did express his condolences, but I don't see how Bush not being killed in 1993 would affect his 1991 war with Iraq, especially since he'd already been out of office for a few months. :confused:

OOC: Clinton was president in 1993 and the war with Iraq had happened two years previously.

Well, we wouldn't have had Dan Quayle's lovely eight years in office. We had our doubts about him but he was a far better President than even Reagan.

I think Dubaya would still run, but he might run a little earlier. He waited quite a while OTL before throwing his hat in the ring.

OCC: The POD here is AFTER G.H.W. Bush's term as president had ended. Two terms (8 yrs.) of President Quayle wouldn't come to pass as a result of this POD and neither would an earlier run for office by G.W. (who wouldn't be referred to as Dubaya) Bush.

Would Barack Obama still have become President without the shadow of Iraq hanging over Hillary Clinton in 2008?

Also, we probably avoid the Republican myth of Bush being the magical statesman who dissolved the Soviet Union with his own brilliance, as well as the 'Perot stole the election' myth.

OCC: The POD here is AFTER G.H.W. Bush's term as president had ended. Two terms (8 yrs.) of President Quayle wouldn't come to pass as a result of this POD and neither would an earlier run for office by G.W. (who wouldn't be referred to as Dubaya) Bush.

Then what's it a DBWI? If it's the OTL assassination attempt shouldn't be it be a regular WI? I assumed it was sorted under DBWI with the POD being him still president at the time.

Would Barack Obama still have become President without the shadow of Iraq hanging over Hillary Clinton in 2008?

That's a good question, but I think the answer would be no. I mean the Iraq war was a big reason on why Barrack Obama beat Hillary in the Primaries. With out being the anti-war democratic candidate, Obama couldn't win. I mean he only had 4 years. experience as a senator.

Also, due to the assassination we invaded Iraq? Without the assassination due you guys think that Saddam Hussein would still be in power?

That's a good question, but I think the answer would be no. I mean the Iraq war was a big reason on why Barrack Obama beat Hillary in the Primaries. With out being the anti-war democratic candidate, Obama couldn't win. I mean he only had 4 years. experience as a senator.

It's really a shame. Clinton is like an LBJ lite with what he got done before Newt took Congress in 1998, but the Iraq War ruined his reputation.

Also, due to the assassination we invaded Iraq? Without the assassination due you guys think that Saddam Hussein would still be in power?

Still confused here. Are you basically asking in a standard WI, if Bush Sr. dies in '93, no Iraq in '03?

Still confused here. Are you basically asking in a standard WI, if Bush Sr. dies in '93, no Iraq in '03?

Well what I'm saying by using the DBWI is that Bush Sr. did die and we are discussing the implications of his deaths. Maybe I should of used a WI, or explained it better.

Well what I'm saying by using the DBWI is that Bush Sr. did die and we are discussing the implications of his deaths. Maybe I should of used a WI, or explained it better.

(I see my mistake then, my sincerest apologies for causing issues!)

I don't think Clinton cruises to re-election so easily in 1996 without the 'rally around the flag' effect. He's a talented politician but his personal issues would've destroyed him on the campaign trail as an incumbent. Not that the Republicans exactly tried too hard in 1996 - it was basically a gimme for the Dems.

I think George W. Bush might've run earlier if his father hadn't died. He seemed to wait quite a while before entering national politics.