DBWI: France becomes a Republic

I mean what is there not to love. The King Louis XVI had to abdicate in 1799 in favour of his son Charles X the great (OTL Louis XVII). While Charles was known as Louis, taking advice from La Fayette and Napoleon really helped him. Not only did he kick out the Austrian soldiers out of France but in the subsequent Carlist wars of 1801-03, 1805-06, 1808-10 France beat the combined powers of Britain, Austria, Prussia, Russia and Spain and extended France's borders to the Rhine and took Savoy, Upper Navarre, Wallonia, Luxembourg and Nice and made them a part of France. Also who can forget the Code Charles, the famed civil code of France and many other nations. Also the French colonial empire was expanded with Louisiana which was heavily populated due to the increase of settlers from the colony of Saint Dominic. Toussiant l'Ouverture was the First ever non white French Marshal and with slavery abolished and Louisiana opened, many blacks from Saint Dominic and many Republicans ended up there. Also the war of 1812 was started by the fromer USA against Louisiana for the french had abolised slavery and signing a treaty with Britain in 1811, had managed to stop the slave trade. Also the Cugnot Steam Wagons in 1808 in Germany and Steamships of 1809 in the Battle of the Gibraltar showed French innovation and helped in beating the Prussian Army and the British Navy. Then they helped free the Nations such as Poland, Greece, Gran Columbia and Germany from oppressive regimes. French were also the First country to have universal male sufferage and universal sufferage. First to institute homosexual marriage laws, first to pass laws regarding child labour and free education. What is there not to love about their progressive Kings.

OOC: I hate to burst your bubble but you must've overlooked my post on accident.

IC:
There were a few truly likable French monarchs, yes, four to be exact. Two of them were murdered (Marianne I was poisoned in 1879 and Robert IV was shot by a German assassin in 1948), one died in office from cancer at the age of 42 (Louis XX in 1904), and the other one was forced to abdicate(Henri IX in 1981.). But other than that, I'm afraid France has been plain outta luck in that regard. Some have been okay, but intersparsed with many corrupt imbeciles and assholes.

1.)Mssr. L'Overture was friends with the French.....but with the Republicans, not the Monarchists. In fact, he and Napoleon worked together to free the Haitian slaves in 1807, while Charles X's Foreign Minister tried to sabotage the whole thing. Louisiana's slaves weren't all freed until 1818, when the Americans took over. The only reason any were freed at all was thanks to Etienne De Bore, who took over in 1812, and he was viewed as a traitor and as a pariah for many decades to come.

2.)Louisiana was badly mismanaged under Monarchist rule and the monarchist French were the ones who started the War of 1812, which the Americans entered despite the massive and angry protests from slaveholders across the country(John C. Calhoun, the former Congressman who tried to murder President Hamilton in 1814, was fiercely against the war for his fear of the 'browning' of America if Louisiana were to be annexed, as he himself said it).

3a.)There was universal suffrage in French territory.....but in Republican South France, in 1904. North France didn't have universal suffrage until after the Second World War. 3b.)Gay marriage is still illegal in monarchist France, btw, despite the support of the majority of the voting population there. South France has had gay marriage since 1947.
3c.) Child labor has been illegal in South France since 1897. North France did follow not long afterwards, but only after a riot trashed Paris's industrial district.
3d.)Free education in North France only came around in the late 1960s thanks to the brief rule of the Social Democrats; when the Conservatives threatened to eliminate it in 1976 rioters threatened to storm Versailles. It was only thanks to the pleading of Henri IX that it was kept around in a limited fashion.

Things are getting better up there but there's a long way to go.

I mean what is there not to love. The King Louis XVI had to abdicate in 1799 in favour of his son Charles X the great (OTL Louis XVII). While Charles was known as Louis, taking advice from La Fayette and Napoleon really helped him. Not only did he kick out the Austrian soldiers out of France but in the subsequent Carlist wars of 1801-03, 1805-06, 1808-10 France beat the combined powers of Britain, Austria, Prussia, Russia and Spain and extended France's borders to the Rhine and took Savoy, Upper Navarre, Wallonia, Luxembourg and Nice and made them a part of France. Also who can forget the Code Charles, the famed civil code of France and many other nations. Also the French colonial empire was expanded with Louisiana which was heavily populated due to the increase of settlers from the colony of Saint Dominic. Toussiant l'Ouverture was the First ever non white French Marshal and with slavery abolished and Louisiana opened, many blacks from Saint Dominic and many Republicans ended up there.....

OOC: And the clusterfuckery continues.

OOC: Caliboy, idk what you're playing at but people basically don't seem to like your idea, I'd say it was basically thread derailment what with most people working off the assumption that this is a French Revolution à la 1790s POD and that things aren't as royally fucked up as you want them to be.

So, to burst your bubble right back, you're outvoted in this particular DBWI, and you can't run a successful if someone's trying to push for a scenario no one else supports.

OOC: Caliboy, idk what you're playing at but people basically don't seem to like your idea, I'd say it was basically thread derailment what with most people working off the assumption that this is a French Revolution à la 1790s POD and that things aren't as royally fucked up as you want them to be.

So, to burst your bubble right back, you're outvoted in this particular DBWI, and you can't run a successful if someone's trying to push for a scenario no one else supports.
OOC:Yeah he even ruined a DBWI I made it seems it is his thing.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=242982

OOC; He didn't ruin anything. If anything its interesting to see something besides the easy wanks everyone really wants. By the way, the OP should try and make the history of the world outlined, that way you cant get abgry when someone comes up with a different idea. The problem with this thread is, no one is willing to deal with the accepted cannon.

OOC; He didn't ruin anything. If anything its interesting to see something besides the easy wanks everyone really wants. By the way, the OP should try and make the history of the world outlined, that way you cant get abgry when someone comes up with a different idea. The problem with this thread is, no one is willing to deal with the accepted cannon.

It's true we should avoid easy and obvious things, but as Xgentis said CaliBoy basically came up with the entire world history by himself, and it didn't help that no one could agree on the OP either.

These are supposed to be cooperative and fun, not "This is my idea of what this world is like, everyone agree with me, end thread". Also, it doesn't really work if no one likes a persons idea and that person keeps pushing it, it kills the thread.

It's true we should avoid easy and obvious things, but as Xgentis said CaliBoy basically came up with the entire world history by himself, and it didn't help that no one could agree on the OP either.

These are supposed to be cooperative and fun, not "This is my idea of what this world is like, everyone agree with me, end thread". Also, it doesn't really work if no one likes a persons idea and that person keeps pushing it, it kills the thread.
OOC: Yeah I agree with that, but France is not the world, explore the rest of the worlds history. There are butterflies aplenty.

Abhakhazia

Banned
We all know that the French love their King Henry, and the Orleanist Party, which supports him is all and well.
But what if? A second Republic could be started, even a third, fourth or even fifth one.
So set a pretense to make that happen.

Also, bonus points if you get the British to keep their monarchy.
OOC:
I don't know how I could be more clear-
French history happened as it does until the July Monarchy, which remains in control of the French Government and the Second Republic never happens and there for the Second Empire, Third Republic, Fouth Republic and Fifth Republic never happen.
After that I don't care.
The problem was everyone thought it was under a legitamist King or a Bonepartist Emperor

Last edited:
Well the revolutions of 1848 did touch France and Louis Philippe I was overthrown but his son Louis Philippe II was instead given the crown. He did after all promise reforms and did not renege on them. There was a republican frevour but many remembered the horror stories of the First republic. Of course the revolutions hit a lot of areas, particularly Germany, Italy and Belgium, Frederik Wilhelm was crowned as the Emperor of the Germans and the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha being overthrown in favour of Francois I of Bourbon-Orleans in Belgium and with French support, the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia managed to unite much of the Italian peninsula other than Naples-Sicily under its control. Franco-German alliance of 1849 bringing with them Italy, The Netherlands and Belgium into the alliance.

Last edited: