It was a sad moment in american history a man who was both a almost
tireless fighter for civil rights and one of american historys best musians
had been murdered. Elvis's contrubution to the civil rights era can not
be ignored he was one of the few white musicians from the south who
had the courage to refuse to play at segregated music halls, and who
can forget his trip to mongovery where he provided Chrismas dinner
and toys for the strikers and their famlys. On that sad day in 1972
America lost one of its shinning lights. Still I have to ask how differnt
would the world be if Elvis wasnt dedicated to the civil rights movement?

I know that his fans would probably disagree, but without his courageous stand, very few people would today remember Presley at all. Like so many stars of the popular music circuit, his fame would have burned out soon.IRC there was talk of drafting him at one point, and surely a stint in the military would have cut short his early career. In effect, he owes his fame largely to the fact that the draft board decided they didn't want a 'nigger lover'. Military service would have badly compromised both his career and his later credibility as a figurehead of the antiwar movement.

Not to mention the fact that without his close ties to the black community, he would hardly have played what contemporaries considered 'race music' in the first place, would he?

I don't know. This idea seems almost ASB. Almost...

Like the last couple of posters said, with his music being so influenced and reminiscent of black R&B, it's almost inevitable that he would be associated with civil rights. Like, if you wanted to have a plausible ATL in which Elvis was a blatant racist, you'd probably have to have him play a different type of music. I suppose you could make it so that he only had the bluegrass/country influence, and then he just decides that it's good to be on the side of Jim Crow.

I guess you could have a sort of middle-of-the-road Elvis in which he still plays black-influenced rock and roll, but stays silent on race issues. Maybe he could end up being seen as a non-threatening (i.e. white) alternative to authentic rock and roll. But that's ridiculous.

You know who actually did end up having a career like that?

Pat Boone.

And look how seriously we take him nowadays. :p

Pat Boone... *shudder*