DBWI: Charles I of Spain elected as Emperor

What if Charles I of Spain was chosen as the Holy Roman Emperor instead of Francis I of France?

How would this affect the histories of both the HRE & Spain? How would Charles manage a ridiculously big domain with assorted laws, governments & customs?

I feel that one of the bigger questions is just how different France would be. And would the (at the time) kingdoms of Naples, Sicily, Sardinia, etc join the HRE instead of Hispania here? Having them rejoin instead of France... Ahhhh, such a mess that was, how France kinda broke up a bit after joining the HRE. It needed to be done though, in order to gerrymander the Elections.

OOC: Just got through reading both Norwich's book on the 16th century major kings as well as a book on the Holy Roman Empire. There was no chance of Francis I being elected Holy Roman Empire. He seems to have made a campaign for the publicity. At no other time was a King of France even considered for the position. The three times foreign (non-HRE) monarchs were elected (Sicily, Castile) one was a son of a previous Emperor, the other election many not count as a proper election, and the third was Charles V himself, a grandson of the previous empire. Hungary doesn't count since it was linked with a territory within the empire every time its king was elected Emperor. Also, after the Luxembourg emperors or post early 15th century there was just one non-Hapsburg elected. So you have to come up with a pretty elaborate POD to keep Charles V from being elected Emperor, something like he turns out to be as crazy as his mother, and even then they might elect him anyway or probably would have just elected his brother.

OOC: Naples, Sicily and Sardinia were already parts of the crown of Aragon. The only land who Francis I can easily grab if he and not Charles V is the Emperor is the Duchy of Milan.
I think who Francis had little to no realistic chance to be elected in place of Charles so would work better if the ATL Emperor is one of the Electors or another German ruler...

ooc: why would france break up ?admittedly I dont know much about it.but it seems too implausible.Furthermore all the territories that the kingdom of france held at at the time was de jure france(i think)