DBWI: California joins the United States

Deleted member 82792

I was just wondering if there was no California Republic in the world, that California became just a generic state in the US rather then a major regional power.

Any ideas what a world like that would be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 109224

The US-Mexican boundary might have been set at the Gila River rather than the Yacqui-Conchos line.

Pitic might not have ended up center of the US film industry.

The US's main pacific base would likely be at Yerba Buena or San Diego rather than out in Honolulu.

The US-Mexican boundary might have been set at the Gila River rather than the Yacqui-Conchos line.

Pitic might not have ended up center of the US film industry.

The US's main pacific base would likely be at Yerba Buena or San Diego rather than out in Honolulu.

Yep. The Americans are paying out lots of cash just to lease Honolulu from California. Who knows, given the historical pivot of US imperialism to the Carribeans, it can be diverted to East Asia instead if it has a Pacific coast.

Deleted member 109224

Yep. The Americans are paying out lots of cash just to lease Honolulu from California. Who knows, given the historical pivot of US imperialism to the Carribeans, it can be diverted to East Asia instead if it has a Pacific coast.

The point of Caribbean imperialism was for the sake of getting to asia. The issue is, by the time the Americans and Peruvians defeated Chile, took control of Panama, and built the Canal the Californians had already nabbed Hawaii. Samoa is a good substitute, but it is far more out of the way than Hawaii is.

I think Irish immigration would have also been modified, maybe they could've pulled a Transvaal and created their own country at the limits of the British Empire during the long hunger, instead of going to Catholifornia.

I was just wondering if there was no California Republic in the world, that California became just a generic state in the US rather then a major regional power.

Any ideas what a world like that would be?
The famous Califilornian Bear wouldn't have been a worlwide symbol of prosperity and freedom. I hear theres a big golden bear statue going to be erected in Shanghai honoring the success story of Chinese immigrants in California.

Deleted member 82792

I guess Hollywood would be more geared to Americans rather then the rest of the world. No Bollywood or Chinese cinema mashups.

With its whole coastline on the Pacific, California lacked mass immigration from Europe, just like Chile, another prominent Pacific power. However, with descendants of WASP American settlers running the administration, close ties were established with the USA, with American immigrants given special privileges in terms of immigration.

The Hispanic Californios, the displaced elites of California, still held importance in the state, meaning that bilingualism was a must for the state. This meant that poor Mexican farm workers, attracted by the higher wages and political stability of California, migrated to the ranches of California. To this day Mexican Californians are the dominant majority of the Central Valley, with the elites being the bilingual rancheros of Castillian Spanish descent as opposed to their mestizo and indio farm workers.

The power of Catholic californios ensured Catholics a voice in Sacramento, and thus Irish Americans were the largest contingent of American immigrants to California. They settled mainly in the industrial areas, and they plus the Mexicans ensured that California was Catholic majority. The Irish, being English speaking white Catholics, dominated politics, protestant WASP Californians industry and mining, and the californios (Spanish) agriculture (especially in the central valley).

Chinese Californians were the final major group to immigrate to California. From the Pacific, they found California the best option to immigrate to. Chinese Americans were readily accepted by the Protestants as allies against Irish-Mexican Catholic power, and because of the hostility they face from the Irish and Mexicans across California, they adopted the Protestant faith en masse. Protestants in California to this day are mainly WASP, other groups of Protestants Americans and the Chinese, while the Californios, Mexicans and Irish are predominantly Catholic, with the smaller but still significant Japanese community largely maintaining their Shinto-Buddhist faith.

The mountainous regions were dominated by American immigrants as the North and the East bordered the USA. The very South and the Central Valley were mostly Hispanic in nature while the coast was WASP, Irish and Chinese in character.

Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, known in California as the "Father of the nation", was prominent for bridging the divide between English speaking Protestants and Spanish speaking Catholics. To this day,both sides acknowledge the wisdom and brilliance of Vallejo, and many historians call him "California's Wilfred Laurier".

Last edited:
I think Irish immigration would have also been modified, maybe they could've pulled a Transvaal and created their own country at the limits of the British Empire during the long hunger, instead of going to Catholifornia.
I think you mean the whole sale expulsion of over 80% of island Catholics by The British prime minister William lamb. He has the Dubious Honors of being the last British government official to be excommunicated by the pope ( for his complete disregard for any form of human decency and kindness) and in a recent poll he is considered to be the worst prime minister of Britain has ever had.

I think you mean the whole sale expulsion of over 80% of island Catholics by The British prime minister William lamb. He has the Dubious Honors of being the last British government official to be excommunicated by the pope ( for his complete disregard for any form of human decency and kindness) and in a recent poll he is considered to be the worst prime minister of Britain has ever had.

That kind of immigration yeah ._. but let's not forget that Protestant Irish also left Ireland because of the situation on the island, due to the terrible harvests. William Lamb was a pile of trash, but I think Eire would have been depopulated even without him. The thing he actually modified was the fact that many Catholic Scots also moved to California

I imagine it would have to become multiple states- I cant see a state that large in the US. Probably would get divided into 3 states - California, North California and South California.

Deleted member 82792

Would Hollywood be any different if it was American?

Deleted member 109224

Would Hollywood be any different if it was American?

I don't see why it wouldn't be a big chinese-californian suburb of LA if it were American rather than Californian.

Maybe LA would be bigger if the US railroad west ended there instead of at Guaymas. The large Jewish population in Guaymas and Pitic that set up the global film industry in Sonora might end up in California.

Deleted member 82792

Do you think Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel would still be set in California or would they set both shows in the US?

The point of Caribbean imperialism was for the sake of getting to asia. The issue is, by the time the Americans and Peruvians defeated Chile, took control of Panama, and built the Canal the Californians had already nabbed Hawaii. Samoa is a good substitute, but it is far more out of the way than Hawaii is.
Maybe the US would have more bargaining power if they were dealing with the tiny Republic of Hawaii than the larger California Republic.

Do you think Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel would still be set in California or would they set both shows in the US?
I've never heard of the first one and by Angel do you the Californian show The Angels? The one where the War over Heaven is shown to never have stopped and is being fought in the background of human cities such as Los Angeles and often portrayed as gang warfare. The show follows the neutral angel David who works as a PI investigating angel related cases.

Deleted member 82792

What other TV shows would exist if California joined the Union?