DBWI: Bob Dylan COULDN'T sing

What if "The King of Folk" couldn't carry a tune? If "Blowin' in the Wind" hadn't become the biggest selling single of all time, would we still have seen folk music overtake rock 'n' roll as the top selling music genre in the '80s? What would this have meant for the hippie movement? Without its top seller, it probably wouldn't have survived.

I'd guess the poetry of his lyrics would shine through a lot more. Since his golden voice afforded him such popularity, a lot of people didn't take his lyrics as seriously as they should have. There's a lot of depth there that not many people bother to notice.

If you search u-tube you might be able to find clip of an extremely talented Canadian called Will Shatner from the 60's. He had a great voice but his record company had him singing songs that were so far out of date they needed a zimmerframe. I hear he ended up a bit part actor on some sf channel drivell about lawyers in space.

But if he could join with Dylan it would be like Bernie T. and Reggie G. with Rocketman. One with the lyrics the other with the voice.;)

If you search u-tube you might be able to find clip of an extremely talented Canadian called Will Shatner from the 60's. He had a great voice but his record company had him singing songs that were so far out of date they needed a zimmerframe. I hear he ended up a bit part actor on some sf channel drivell about lawyers in space.

But if he could join with Dylan it would be like Bernie T. and Reggie G. with Rocketman. One with the lyrics the other with the voice.;)

Curse you HARRY!

(OOC) Darn! somebody got Shatner in before I did - I was all ready with some comment about his multiple platinums! Mother forgive me... :)

Hard to say. Willie Nelson does very well despite a gravelly, nasally voice based on lyrics and attitude. This "bad singing" Dylan could theoretically make it based on the same principles, but would probably just be a cult guy or one of those little-know but inspirational ones who spawns a generation of famous imitators. Maybe he turns to folk-country rather than folk-rock.

Maybe he just becomes the guitar and songwriter of a famous singer-guitarist pair ala Page-Plant?

What if his voice had changed during his career? I'm thinking of a situation similar to Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler, whose singing voice ended up raspy following surgery on her vocal cords. She actually was more popular afterwards. Would Dylan have survived that change?

Dylan could have led a band organized like Fleetwood Mac: named after musicians who do not sing, while hosting a rotation of different vocalists over a 30+ year period.

Germaniac

Donor
He would be as popular as he is today, except no one could really stand his voice. He would probably keep singing long after he should have packed it up. :). His lyrics don't change due to his voice and he still is influential.

OCC: Well, its true lol...