DBWI: Archduke Ferdinand assassinated in 1914

wormyguy

Banned
In 1914, Austrian police arrested a group of Servian terrorists in Sarajevo, and to their horror found out that they had been planning to assassinate Archduke (later Emperor) Ferdinand when he visited the city in June. Not only that, but they were found to have links to Servian military intelligence. This of course created a huge ruckus and nearly led to war between Austria and Servia, and created a great deal of tension between the two countries. What if the Servians had not been caught, and had succeeded in assassinating the heir to the Austrian throne? I imagine that would cause an even bigger incident, and might even involve Servia's Russian patron, though I doubt there would actually be shots fired.

Tsao

Banned
I don't think Russia would be willing to escalate the situation, so the Great War probably still comes at around the same time, but without Franz Ferdinand, a peaceful solution to AH's ethic problems probably could have been reached, unlike that bloody shitstorm we saw in Hungary and Bosnia in 1926. Also, no Ottoman ultrafederalization either, so there's a plus.

Austria Hungary would have called Russia's bluff, and the Tsar would have been deeply embarrassed as he wouldn't stomach going to war over a strange plot. And besides, does anyone really think all the European powers would be silly enough to tangle themselves into a massive war of alliances?

I think if that happens there would have been a far right nationalist revolution in Russia by 1920 instead of the gradual constitutional reforms we actually saw.

OOC: Damn, this is why you need to get in early with these things, I had an idea of Russia falling to revolution around 1919 and then Germany intervening :(

Tsao

Banned
Austria Hungary would have called Russia's bluff, and the Tsar would have been deeply embarrassed as he wouldn't stomach going to war over a strange plot. And besides, does anyone really think all the European powers would be silly enough to tangle themselves into a massive war of alliances?

I think if that happens there would have been a far right nationalist revolution in Russia by 1920 instead of the gradual constitutional reforms we actually saw.

Well, the war IOTL wasn't all that rational either....

OOC: There was a Great War in this TL, only at a later point.

OOC: Damn, this is why you need to get in early with these things, I had an idea of Russia falling to revolution around 1919 and then Germany intervening :(
OOC: Well, there's always Germany itself being ripe for a revolution.........