DBWI: A New Battlestar Galactica?

OOC: This takes place in early 1980s.

IC: so I have an idea for a new Battlestar Galactica series. The new series will still have the same premise but with some changes. For example:

1. Starbuck is a woman instead of a man
2. The cylons were created by man but rebelled.
3. The Galactica was an old warship about to be turned into a museum before the cylon attack.
4. There are now Human formed cylons.
5. Instead of lasers and energy weapons we have seen in so many science fiction movies and shows, what if they relied on projectile based weapons?

What do you think of these changes so far?

You know, they been a few drafts and proposals over the years with some stuff like that, but never ever made it. For me, a reboot in general would be great.

Sadly, this idea was just a bit too "adult" for the intended audience of the show and was shelved for many years even though the "reboot" dated from the early 1980's.

You know, they been a few drafts and proposals over the years with some stuff like that, but never ever made it. For me, a reboot in general would be great.

Sadly, this idea was just a bit too "adult" for the intended audience of the show and was shelved for many years even though the "reboot" dated from the early 1980's.

I was just writing this just in case a reboot of the show happens. I was hoping that this show would be more of a mature show.

I was just writing this just in case a reboot of the show happens. I was hoping that this show would be more of a mature show.

Well, given the vast ocean of dreck that was Galactica 1980, I would welcome a reboot. Not sure about Starbuck being female though. :confused:

No. Stop with the reboots already. Why revisit what was already done right the first time? Can't we have something original for once?

Typical 80's TV executive:
"Scifi is fantasy, no real guns. You can do real guns on like the A-Team, though.
"Laser beams and spaceships that go 'whoosh.", that what network scifi is like.
it's for kids so you have to have a kid on the show, like Voyagers and Matthew Star.
Starbuck as a chick is great, we can do a whole 'will they/won't they' with Apollo, like on Cheers and Moonlighting.
" You can make her competant, but not too competant, of couse.
"Oh, and you need some zany stuff like in Automan and Misfits of Scirnce."

Early 80's is too early, reboots didn't really exist.
The 90's brought us Space: Above and Beyond, maybe then.
BTW, Richard Hatch is at Comixon this week talking Galactica reimagining.

IC: so I have an idea for a new Battlestar Galactica series. The new series will still have the same premise but with some changes. For example:

3. The Galactica was an old warship about to be turned into a museum before the cylon attack.
5. Instead of lasers and energy weapons we have seen in so many science fiction movies and shows, what if they relied on projectile based weapons?

lets address these point by point.

1. NO, it would be dumb to have the coolest womaniser in the crew a woman (unless your making an lgbt point?) thats like making Han Solo or India Jones a woman, dumb. Maybe give Apollo's wife (Athena) more screen time and a bigger role.

2. This is good, removes the whole "Cylons made their robots to look us, cause were awesome" from the Original.

3. Why, what does this add? Not a bad idea, just don't see the point.

4. Didn't they do this in one episode? Is Baltar one?

5. That could work, would make the 'Wild West' episode interesting, since it is now just a fancy gun (explosive rounds?). But you may need to explain where they keep getting new ones from, do they make them? Also does include the Alliance, I would assume so other wise bit of a game breaker.

Bad idea.

This would've been when most of the original cast was still alive and still viable actors.

In fact Dirk Benedict was at his height as a star on The A-Team.

So there would've been a lot of fans who insisted on original cast members in many of the major roles.

ST:TNG didn't have this problems as it was two decades later when it premiered from OS and the fans understood the original cast was committed to the movies.

I would also pick that Edward James Olmos from the movie Blade Runner as Adama. If he were older.

...Bizarrely random bit of casting. May I ask why?

OOC: So in this ATL, we're able to have conversations on internet forums in the early 1980s...? Al Gore really worked his ass off in this ATL. That's the real POD.

I would also pick that Edward James Olmos from the movie Blade Runner as Adama. If he were older.

Adams doesn't have to be that old. I mean he is a member of the 'Council of elders' but that is a title and -I may be wrong as I haven't watched the last season on account of it being too awful- anyway... There seems to be no age requirement for being an 'elder'. He is a general of the Starfleet, but this is during a war, so promotions tend to happen a lot faster. Look how many young generals there were in 1945. Especially as it is mentioned in the movie that the Galactica is a second class battlestar.. Something more like an Independence class carrier as opposed to the 'Atlantis' who gets destroyed in the Cyclon ambush... (That would be the equivalent of an Essex class). So Adama could be a younger commander cutting his teeth on a smaller ship.

The only thing marking Adama's age is that he is the father of Apollo and Athena. Both already adults, although none of them married yet. Still, Apollo could be a pretty young hotshot pilot and I could live with a script where Athena is a rebellious 16-year old. Or may be they could just be twins...

In retrospect, Adams = older, but not grandpa-old.

This could be awesome. I was too young for the original series, but I caught up on DVD. BSG is full of classic sf tropes: the ragtag survivors, banding together to survive adversity, humanity showing its finest hour in the face of a terrible adversary, bridging gaps between communities, showing how more advanced societies can rise above the primitive hates and prejudices we have as a holdover from less developed times ...

Starbuck as a girl, I can see that. The original series showed a fair amount of gender- equality in the service (except for the lady pilots and their high heeled boots), and this can be seen as continuing this trend. She'd have to have Starbucks humour, attitude and romantic attributes, of course, and not turn into some kind of caractuure. Careful casting is a must, as well as good writing.

Having cylons being man made makes sense, and brings up the old Frankenstein, 'be careful what you create' themes.

The Galactica is always described as old, but not unusual in the Fleet. A fresh take on it would be good: can't have everything the same.

Human-type infiltrators are a nice touch, as long as they don't dominate. After all, the cylons are all about machine supremacy over weak flesh. It would be nice if they make the androids to behave more human, and discover that they did too good a job, and they turn on their creators ... good symmetry there.

I like the idea of projectile weapons. Of course, the props department will have to develop entirely new gun designs: can't have our heroes running around with leftover Stargate FiveSevens and MP-5s.

So yeah, as long as it is well written, and in keeping with the themes and concepts of the original, and they resist the modern urge to make it more 'realistic' (ie, gritty and depressing and everyone at each other's throats), and has a well thought out story arc, then I'm all for it!

I have an idea for a new Battlestar Galactica series. The new series will still have the same premise but with some changes. For example:

1) Okay, so after all the hype about 'Terminator' you want a badass woman as a secondary character. Go ahead, be my guest. But choose any which character but Starbuck. I mean the guy is just the epithome of rogue boy swashbuckler. Honestly I see a remake of the Three Musketeers where all three -or four- of them are women before I see a female Starbuck. A female Apollo (Apollonia?) could be interesting though. May be swap Apollo for Athena and vice versa?
2) Weren't they already? I mean throughout the series all 'aliens' we see are humanoid descendents of the first colonizers. No Klingons, Vulcans or even Chewbaccas. So there's only humans and robots. Then guess three times who designed the first robot
3) It is hinted in the series a couple of times that the Galactica is an old ship, refitted a number of times and outclassed by newer ships at the time of the Cyclon ambush. Yet she was present at said ambush, so not quite a museum yet. I could see her as a candidate for decommissioning though if the negotiations with the Cyclons would have worked out instead of ending in galactic Pearl Harbour.
4) Again... This is Battlestar Galactica, not Terminator. You already tried to turn Starbuck into Sarah Connor. Do you want the Cyclons to be Austrian bodybuilders now?
5) What? No yellow beams coming out of your gun when you shoot? You're doing away with the only thing Science Fiction brought to the movie business that actually worked. Seen any western shows on TV lately? That's what I mean. Once viewers get used to guns shooting laser beams it's hard to go back.
The same is true for space fighters. Lasers allow you to show when a fighter shoots his guns and whether he hits or misses. (disregarding the fact that in real space you wouldn't be able to see the laser beams as there is no air to light them up.) Lasers allow your space fight to look like a WWII air battle, even like a WWI knights-of-the-air duel. Without lasers all you get is footage of F-15 type spaceships launching rockets and then may be a fireball in the distance. Until there is a fighter pilot movie that makes shooting missiles interesting, I'd say keep the laser beams.

This could be awesome. I was too young for the original series, but I caught up on DVD. BSG is full of classic sf tropes: the ragtag survivors, banding together to survive adversity, humanity showing its finest hour in the face of a terrible adversary, bridging gaps between communities, showing how more advanced societies can rise above the primitive hates and prejudices we have as a holdover from less developed times ...

Starbuck as a girl, I can see that. The original series showed a fair amount of gender- equality in the service (except for the lady pilots and their high heeled boots), and this can be seen as continuing this trend. She'd have to have Starbucks humour, attitude and romantic attributes, of course, and not turn into some kind of caractuure. Careful casting is a must, as well as good writing.

Having cylons being man made makes sense, and brings up the old Frankenstein, 'be careful what you create' themes.

The Galactica is always described as old, but not unusual in the Fleet. A fresh take on it would be good: can't have everything the same.

Human-type infiltrators are a nice touch, as long as they don't dominate. After all, the cylons are all about machine supremacy over weak flesh. It would be nice if they make the androids to behave more human, and discover that they did too good a job, and they turn on their creators ... good symmetry there.

I like the idea of projectile weapons. Of course, the props department will have to develop entirely new gun designs: can't have our heroes running around with leftover Stargate FiveSevens and MP-5s.

So yeah, as long as it is well written, and in keeping with the themes and concepts of the original, and they resist the modern urge to make it more 'realistic' (ie, gritty and depressing and everyone at each other's throats), and has a well thought out story arc, then I'm all for it!

Would you include the alliance? Could do some good stories about freedom v survival/ security.

Also would you make Lucifer Spectre as human Cylons or keep them as robots?

What's a DVD? And what's Stargate?

Another cool things that should be added is ressurection technology. Whenever a cylon dies their mind is uploaded to a new body.

OOC: this is early 1980s. 1984 ish.

Looks great, but make sure the series takes a nose dive after the Pegasus is destroyed. Oh, and maybe throw in some ridiculous subplot where half the cast are Cylons.