DBWH: IMDB Entry

Computer Geeks 1998-2012, TV Series, TV14, 1 hour, TechTV

Summary: Fictionalized dramatization of the early years of corporate manuvers and politicking of personal computing in Soap Opera format, begining with the debut of the Vega Core System, the Plum Technologies Model A, and the EB Z8 Series I (Based on the Altair 7, Apple I, and Tandy TSR-80 Model 1) and finally ending in 1995, when Rob Evans III (Bill Gates) sold his Nanoware (Microsoft) stock to his Japanese partner, Plum Technologies (Apple Computer) bought out Hornet Computer(Be, Inc.) and brought Pierre-Luc Gagnon back to the CEO position, Digital Equipment merged with MicroColonel(Commodore), Ted Cohen (Jack Tramiel) and family got out of the computing business, and Intel filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, effectively ending the Classic Era of personal computing. To this day, it is the only non-educational or talk cable show on TV to win a daytime Emmy.

Nominated for 15 Daytime Emmys, Won Three. Nominated for 9 Primetime Emmys

Is probably best remembered for its breakout writers Adam Sessler, Brett Butler, and Michael Hurwitz, who would later go on to direct or produce the likes of The Chronicle, (Sci-Fi Channel), Kick-Ass (Lion's Gate Films), and Arrested Development (Fox).

Cast:

Julian McMahon: Phil Wright (3,250 Episodes, 1998-2012) Steve Jobbs

Rick Moranis: Rob Evans (3,132 Episodes, 1998-2012) Bill Gates

Terry Bradshaw: Frank Tannenbaum (3,024 Episodes, 1998-2012) Steve Balmer

Masi Oka: Nishizono Kizashi (2,852 Episodes, 2000-2012) Nishi Kazuhiko, Creator of MSX

Jonathan Frakes: David Edison Nolan Bushnell

Matt Frewer: Terry Major Jay Miner

Kyle Phillips: Phil Oswald Steve Wozniak

Michelle Trachtenberg: Jimmie Ryan Jeri Ellsworth

Alan Thicke: Timothy North Phill Estridge, Father of the IBM PC

Jon Hamm: Ted Cohen Jack Tramiel

Thomas Gibson: Nate Hogan John Scully

Robert Picardo: Pierre-Luc Gagnon Jean-Louis Gasse

Garret Wang: Miguel Surahap Dado Benato II

Kim Chan: Danny Fong Dr. Leon Chua

Alex Hong: Lance Kung Arthur Wang

Full Cast And Crew

Last edited:
OOC: Like, what are we supposed to do? Post our own made-up movies, write in-universe reviews for this one?

OOC: The Second. Computer Geeks is supposed to be a dramatization of the goings on behind early American personal computing (or rather an ATL version of it) in much the same manner as Micro Men, but in actual soap opera format, with the names changed to protect the innocent and the guilty. Also, some discussion of the ATL events that inspired the goings on in the soap would be good as well.

I think I'll add into the credits who the personage is meant to represent in a way that will need to be highlighted.

Updated: Done

Last edited:
I'll never forget the way Wright (Steve Jobs) brought it Hogan (John Scully), who promply pitted Wright and Oz (Phil Oswald, based on Steve Wozniak) against each other to define the hardware future of Plum. The Battle between the Danson and the Model E (Macintosh and IIgs, respectively) distroyed that legendary friendship, and helped to insure the future of Western Design until advent of Hitachi SuperH, Zilog Z580 and MIPS R4000 series forced the creation of the POWER Alliance with Motorola and IBM.

That perfectly set up Wright to team up with Cohen (Jack Tramiel) and "Madman" Jimmie Reed (an amalgamation of Tandy/Radio Shack and Crazy Eddie's) to create Qube Computing.

Last edited: